From: Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny@eglug.org>
Cc: Steffen Wolfrum <context@st.estfiles.de>
Subject: Re: transliteration russian
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 00:05:31 +0200	[thread overview]

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 11:25:20PM +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> By far the easiest and most portable solution would be if you could
> convince Taco to implement something like "latin a is equivalent to
> cyrillic a as far as hyphenation is concerned" (which could also solve
> many other problems that we have). Actually, you can already do that
> by redefining \lccode of latin a to point to cyrillic a (and do that
> for the whole alphabet), but then you need to make sure that you don't
> use any commands for lowercasing/uppercasing words. If you need
> details, I can help you out, but first exact transliteration rules are
> needed.

I was thinking, since using \lccode for hyphenation is really a wired
choice (I'm sure don has a good reason back then, but such things are
usually no longer relevant), and since it is used in a sort of
controlled environment (playing with \lccode's for hyphenation is not
ever one's toy), may be luatex can break the backward compatibility in
the hyphenation area and have a dedicated new code, \hycode or
something, only for hyphenation purposes (may be backward compatibility
can be kept by using it in addition to \lccode, maybe).

What do you think?

Regards,
 Khaled

--