* \starttable ... \stoptable III
@ 2010-11-24 17:50 Herbert Voss
From: Herbert Voss @ 2010-11-24 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Next problem with \NL, works with mkii but not mkiv

! Misplaced \noalign.
\TABLEnoalign ->\noalign
                         \bgroup \let \noalign \relax \let \next =
\complexTableNL [#1]->\TABLEnoalign
                                    {\edef \@@tiNL {#1}\simpleTableNL }
l.5 ...\VL $\star$ \VL         \VL\SR \HL\NL[30pt]

?

\starttext

\starttable[|l|c|c|]
\NC        \VL Mickey  \VL Goofy   \VL\SR \HL
\VL Donald \VL $\star$ \VL         \VL\SR \HL\NL[30pt]
\VL Pluto \VL          \VL $\star$ \VL\SR \HL
\stoptable

\stoptext

Herbert

* Re: \starttable ... \stoptable III
@ 2010-11-24 18:06 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-11-24 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24-11-2010 6:50, Herbert Voss wrote:
> Next problem with \NL, works with mkii but not mkiv
>
> ! Misplaced \noalign.
> \TABLEnoalign ->\noalign
>                           \bgroup \let \noalign \relax \let \next =
> \complexTableNL [#1]->\TABLEnoalign
>                                      {\edef \@@tiNL {#1}\simpleTableNL }
> l.5 ...\VL $\star$ \VL         \VL\SR \HL\NL[30pt]
>
> ?
>
> \starttext
>
> \starttable[|l|c|c|]
> \NC        \VL Mickey  \VL Goofy   \VL\SR \HL
> \VL Donald \VL $\star$ \VL         \VL\SR \HL\NL[30pt]
> \VL Pluto \VL          \VL $\star$ \VL\SR \HL
> \stoptable
>
> \stoptext

ok, thanks for testing it ... I'm stripping that old code so bugs can
creep in; I'm also considering removing the CL and such

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-11-24 18:20   ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-11-24 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen; +Cc: ntg-context

On Wednesday 24 November 2010 19:06:19 Hans Hagen wrote:

> ok, thanks for testing it ... I'm stripping that old code so bugs can
> creep in; I'm also considering removing the CL and such

\CL[color] % colored line
\BL[number_cells] % grey background ("BL" = ?)

They are useful. What should replace them?

Alan

* Re: \starttable ... \stoptable III
@ 2010-11-25  8:49     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-11-25  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan BRASLAU; +Cc: ntg-context

On 24-11-2010 7:20, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 November 2010 19:06:19 Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>> ok, thanks for testing it ... I'm stripping that old code so bugs can
>> creep in; I'm also considering removing the CL and such
>>

> \CL[color] % colored line
> \BL[number_cells] % grey background ("BL" = ?)
>
> They are useful. What should replace them?

tabulate and bTABLE

if colors shows up again in table then it's as in tabulate now but i
need some strong motivation for that

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-11-25 10:16       ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-11-25 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen; +Cc: ntg-context

On Thursday 25 November 2010 09:49:39 Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 24-11-2010 7:20, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> > On Wednesday 24 November 2010 19:06:19 Hans Hagen wrote:
> >> ok, thanks for testing it ... I'm stripping that old code so bugs can
> >> creep in; I'm also considering removing the CL and such
> >
> > \CL[color] % colored line
> > \BL[number_cells] % grey background ("BL" = ?)
> >
> > They are useful. What should replace them?
>
> tabulate and bTABLE
>
> if colors shows up again in table then it's as in tabulate now but i
> need some strong motivation for that

The logic behind table (tables, and tabulate) differs greatly from that of
bTABLE. Their use is different and one may be more "natural" than the other,
depending on one's point of view. Both mechanisms have their legitimate place
in ConTeXt.

I see that tabulate is "recommended"
(http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Tables_Overview) and that table and tables are
"deprecated". I suppose that this is due to an internal re-write. What remains
to be implemented in tabulate in order to fully replace table and tables?
According to the wiki: vertical lines.

The wiki is out-of-date, however, for in mkiv \VL is "%  present but not yet
100% ok"

So if tabulate is indeed to replace table and tables, perhaps they should be
"eliminated". For backward compatibility, perhaps starttable and starttables
could be synonymes for starttabulate? Or perhaps I am missing something.

Alan

* Re: \starttable ... \stoptable III
@ 2010-11-25 12:16         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-11-25 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 25.11.2010 um 11:16 schrieb Alan BRASLAU:

> So if tabulate is indeed to replace table and tables, perhaps they should be
> "eliminated". For backward compatibility, perhaps starttable and starttables
> could be synonymes for starttabulate? Or perhaps I am missing something.

Tables has different spacing between the rows (\FL, \ML, etc.) than tabulate
and you can span columns which isn’t supported by tabulate.

What tables miss is the indent feature from tabulate in narrower environments
and itemize.

Wolfgang

* Re: \starttable ... \stoptable III
@ 2010-11-26  7:21           ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-11-26  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thursday 25 November 2010 13:16:38 Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 25.11.2010 um 11:16 schrieb Alan BRASLAU:
> > So if tabulate is indeed to replace table and tables, perhaps they should
> > be "eliminated". For backward compatibility, perhaps starttable and
> > starttables could be synonymes for starttabulate? Or perhaps I am
> > missing something.
>
> Tables has different spacing between the rows (\FL, \ML, etc.) than
> tabulate and you can span columns which isn’t supported by tabulate.
>
> What tables miss is the indent feature from tabulate in narrower
> environments and itemize.

Would it be logical to merge table, tables, and tabulate?
The choice can be a bit confusing.

Alan