* Using Bold SmallCaps in LuaTeX - typescript
@ 2010-11-28 23:29 ...
From: ... @ 2010-11-28 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Good evening!

First of all, I'm new to this list and also a context/luatex newbe. I have
some experience with LaTeX.
I want to use a font (Neutraface2) in my documents and I'm struggeling with
the typescript. I'm not able to get bold SmallCaps working (the bold face .otf
file has the feature smcp, I checked).
I tried various combinations and variations of \bf \sc in my document. It
gives me bold OR smallcaps, but not bold AND smallcaps. Whats wrong here?
Can someone give me an example typescript that I could modify to fit the
Neutraface2 font? My attempt to make one is attached.

Greetings,
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: type-neutraface2.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 2014 bytes --]

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% THIS IS THE NEUTRAFACE-2 TYPESCRIPT %
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

% Define font instances
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\definefontfeature	[mysans]	[protrusion=pure,expansion=quality,script=latn,liga=yes,onum=yes,pnum=yes,kern=yes,tlig=yes,trep=yes]
\definefontfeature	[mysmcp]	[mode=node,script=latn,language=dflt,liga=yes,lnum=yes,tnum=yes,kern=yes,tlig=yes,trep=yes,smcp=yes]
\definefontfeature	[mysup]		[mode=node,script=latn,onum=no,pnum=yes,sups=yes]

% Set up "normal" and Small Caps
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\starttypescript [sans] [neutraface2]
  \definefontsynonym [Neutraface2Text-Book]		[name:neutraface2textbook]		[features=mysans] % Regular
  \definefontsynonym [Neutraface2Text-Bold]		[name:neutraface2textbold]		[features=mysans] % Bold
  \definefontsynonym [Neutraface2Text-BookItalic]	[name:neutraface2textbookitalic]	[features=mysans] % Italic
  \definefontsynonym [Neutraface2Text-Bold-Italic]	[name:neutraface2textbolditalic]	[features=mysans] % Bold-Italic
  \definefontsynonym [Neutraface2Text-SmallCaps]	[name:neutraface2textbook]		[features=mysmcp] % SmallCaps
  \definefontsynonym [Neutraface2Text-BoldSmallCaps]	[name:neutraface2textbold]		[features=mysmcp] % Bold-SmallCaps
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [neutraface2]
  \definefontsynonym [Sans]		[Neutraface2Text-Book]		[features=mysans] % Regular
  \definefontsynonym [SansBold] 	[Neutraface2Text-Bold]		[features=mysans] % Bold
  \definefontsynonym [SansItalic]	[Neutraface2Text-BookItalic]	[features=mysans] % Italic
  \definefontsynonym [SansBoldItalic]	[Neutraface2Text-Bold-Italic]	[features=mysans] % Bold-Italic
  \definefontsynonym [SansCaps]		[Neutraface2Text-SmallCaps]	[features=mysmcp] % SmallCaps
  \definefontsynonym [SansBoldCaps]	[Neutraface2Text-BoldSmallCaps]	[features=mysmcp] % Bold-SmallCaps
 \stoptypescript

% Define Typefaces
\starttypescript [neutraface2]
  \definetypeface [neutraface2] [ss] [sans] [neutraface2] [default]
\stoptypescript

* Re: Using Bold SmallCaps in LuaTeX - typescript
@ 2010-11-29  8:17 ` Florian Wobbe
From: Florian Wobbe @ 2010-11-29  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 29, 2010, at 00:29 , ... wrote:

> Good evening!
>
> First of all, I'm new to this list and also a context/luatex newbe. I have
> some experience with LaTeX.
> I want to use a font (Neutraface2) in my documents and I'm struggeling with
> the typescript. I'm not able to get bold SmallCaps working (the bold face .otf
> file has the feature smcp, I checked).
> I tried various combinations and variations of \bf \sc in my document. It
> gives me bold OR smallcaps, but not bold AND smallcaps. Whats wrong here?
> Can someone give me an example typescript that I could modify to fit the
> Neutraface2 font? My attempt to make one is attached.
>
> Greetings,
> Chris

Hi Chris,

it does not work for pagella either. Did you try \setff{smallcaps} \bf instead?

\usetypescript[pagella]
\setupbodyfont[pagella]

\starttext
{\setff{smallcaps} This is in {\bf bold} SmallCaps} (works).
{\sc This is in {\bf bold} SmallCaps} (does not).
\stoptext

Florian

* Re: Using Bold SmallCaps in LuaTeX - typescript
@ 2010-11-29 11:40   ` Ch. B.
From: Ch. B. @ 2010-11-29 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Montag, 29. November 2010, um 09:17:10 schrieb Florian Wobbe:
> On Nov 29, 2010, at 00:29 , ... wrote:
> > Good evening!
> >
> > First of all, I'm new to this list and also a context/luatex newbe. I
> > have some experience with LaTeX.
> > I want to use a font (Neutraface2) in my documents and I'm struggeling
> > with the typescript. I'm not able to get bold SmallCaps working (the
> > bold face .otf file has the feature smcp, I checked).
> > I tried various combinations and variations of \bf \sc in my document. It
> > gives me bold OR smallcaps, but not bold AND smallcaps. Whats wrong here?
> > Can someone give me an example typescript that I could modify to fit the
> > Neutraface2 font? My attempt to make one is attached.
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Chris
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> it does not work for pagella either. Did you try \setff{smallcaps} \bf
> instead?
>
> \usetypescript[pagella]
> \setupbodyfont[pagella]
>
> \starttext
> {\setff{smallcaps} This is in {\bf bold} SmallCaps} (works).
> {\sc This is in {\bf bold} SmallCaps} (does not).
> \stoptext
>
> Florian

Hi Florian,

that does work, thank you very much.
I assume the \setff means something like set font feature. If so,  I could
shorten my typescript and only specify the 4 main font faces (regular, bold
italic, bold-italic) since the fonts all have all the opentype features i need
(onum & smcp etc.) And these can be accessed via \setff{feature}, I guess.

Chris

* Re: Using Bold SmallCaps in LuaTeX - typescript
@ 2010-11-29 11:50     ` Florian Wobbe
From: Florian Wobbe @ 2010-11-29 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 29, 2010, at 12:40 , Ch. B. wrote:

> Am Montag, 29. November 2010, um 09:17:10 schrieb Florian Wobbe:
>> On Nov 29, 2010, at 00:29 , ... wrote:
>>> Good evening!
>>>
>>> First of all, I'm new to this list and also a context/luatex newbe. I
>>> have some experience with LaTeX.
>>> I want to use a font (Neutraface2) in my documents and I'm struggeling
>>> with the typescript. I'm not able to get bold SmallCaps working (the
>>> bold face .otf file has the feature smcp, I checked).
>>> I tried various combinations and variations of \bf \sc in my document. It
>>> gives me bold OR smallcaps, but not bold AND smallcaps. Whats wrong here?
>>> Can someone give me an example typescript that I could modify to fit the
>>> Neutraface2 font? My attempt to make one is attached.
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>> Chris
>>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> it does not work for pagella either. Did you try \setff{smallcaps} \bf
>> instead?
>>
>> \usetypescript[pagella]
>> \setupbodyfont[pagella]
>>
>> \starttext
>> {\setff{smallcaps} This is in {\bf bold} SmallCaps} (works).
>> {\sc This is in {\bf bold} SmallCaps} (does not).
>> \stoptext
>>
>> Florian
>>

> Hi Florian,
>
> that does work, thank you very much.
> I assume the \setff means something like set font feature. If so,  I could
> shorten my typescript and only specify the 4 main font faces (regular, bold
> italic, bold-italic) since the fonts all have all the opentype features i need
> (onum & smcp etc.) And these can be accessed via \setff{feature}, I guess.

Yes, you can define for instance

 \definefontfeature[dlig][default][dlig=yes] % Discretionary Ligatures: Activates uncommon ligatures
 \definefontfeature[frac][default][frac=yes,numr=yes] % Fractions e.g. 3/4
 \definefontfeature[sups][default][sups=yes] % Superscript
 \definefontfeature[subs][default][subs=yes] % Subscript

and access the font features with \setff{dlig}, \setff{subs} etc.

Florian

* Re: Using Bold SmallCaps in LuaTeX - typescript
@ 2010-11-29 12:27       ` Ch. B.
From: Ch. B. @ 2010-11-29 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 2750 bytes --]

Am Montag, 29. November 2010, um 12:50:01 schrieb Florian Wobbe:
> On Nov 29, 2010, at 12:40 , Ch. B. wrote:

> >> Hi Chris,
> >>
> >> it does not work for pagella either. Did you try \setff{smallcaps} \bf
> >> instead?
> >>
> >> \usetypescript[pagella]
> >> \setupbodyfont[pagella]
> >>
> >> \starttext
> >> {\setff{smallcaps} This is in {\bf bold} SmallCaps} (works).
> >> {\sc This is in {\bf bold} SmallCaps} (does not).
> >> \stoptext
> >>
> >> Florian
> >
> > Hi Florian,
> >
> > that does work, thank you very much.
> > I assume the \setff means something like set font feature. If so,  I
> > could shorten my typescript and only specify the 4 main font faces
> > (regular, bold italic, bold-italic) since the fonts all have all the
> > opentype features i need (onum & smcp etc.) And these can be accessed
> > via \setff{feature}, I guess.
>
> Yes, you can define for instance
>
>  \definefontfeature[dlig][default][dlig=yes] % Discretionary Ligatures:
> Activates uncommon ligatures
> \definefontfeature[frac][default][frac=yes,numr=yes] % Fractions e.g. 3/4
> \definefontfeature[sups][default][sups=yes] % Superscript
>  \definefontfeature[subs][default][subs=yes] % Subscript
>
> and access the font features with \setff{dlig}, \setff{subs} etc.
>
> Florian

Wonderfull!
I'm starting to get the hang of it. Even the stylistic sets work like a charm.
I've attached the output file in case you want to have a look at what I'm doing
here.
Now one last question would be: How can I insert a certain character with its
opentype name? For example \insertopentypecharacter{f_f_h.alt}. That would be
cool because otfinfo -g shows all the glyph names and one must not fiddle arount
with hex numbers or char-stuff.
In XeTeX it is possible to do so with \XeTeXglyph\XeTeXglyphindex"Q.alt1" (or
Q.alt2). That would access the first (or second) alternate glyph for the letter
Q.

You really helped a lot here. Thank you!

Chris

[-- Attachment #2: test.pdf --]

* Re: Using Bold SmallCaps in LuaTeX - typescript
@ 2010-11-29 12:41         ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-11-29 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 01:27:25PM +0100, Ch. B. wrote:
> Am Montag, 29. November 2010, um 12:50:01 schrieb Florian Wobbe:

> > > Hi Florian,
> > >
> > > that does work, thank you very much.
> > > I assume the \setff means something like set font feature. If so,  I
> > > could shorten my typescript and only specify the 4 main font faces
> > > (regular, bold italic, bold-italic) since the fonts all have all the
> > > opentype features i need (onum & smcp etc.) And these can be accessed
> > > via \setff{feature}, I guess.
> >
> > Yes, you can define for instance
> >
> >  \definefontfeature[dlig][default][dlig=yes] % Discretionary Ligatures:
> > Activates uncommon ligatures
> > \definefontfeature[frac][default][frac=yes,numr=yes] % Fractions e.g. 3/4
> > \definefontfeature[sups][default][sups=yes] % Superscript
> >  \definefontfeature[subs][default][subs=yes] % Subscript
> >
> > and access the font features with \setff{dlig}, \setff{subs} etc.
> >
> > Florian
>
> Wonderfull!
> I'm starting to get the hang of it. Even the stylistic sets work like a charm.
> I've attached the output file in case you want to have a look at what I'm doing
> here.
> Now one last question would be: How can I insert a certain character with its
> opentype name? For example \insertopentypecharacter{f_f_h.alt}. That would be

\fontchar{f_f_h.alt} I think

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: Using Bold SmallCaps in LuaTeX - typescript
@ 2010-11-29 13:38           ` Ch. B.
From: Ch. B. @ 2010-11-29 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Montag, 29. November 2010, um 13:41:27 schrieb Khaled Hosny:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 01:27:25PM +0100, Ch. B. wrote:

> > > Yes, you can define for instance
> > >
> > >  \definefontfeature[dlig][default][dlig=yes] % Discretionary Ligatures:
> > > Activates uncommon ligatures
> > > \definefontfeature[frac][default][frac=yes,numr=yes] % Fractions e.g.
> > > 3/4 \definefontfeature[sups][default][sups=yes] % Superscript
> > >
> > >  \definefontfeature[subs][default][subs=yes] % Subscript
> > >
> > > and access the font features with \setff{dlig}, \setff{subs} etc.
> > >
> > > Florian
> >
> > Wonderfull!
> > I'm starting to get the hang of it. Even the stylistic sets work like a
> > charm. I've attached the output file in case you want to have a look at
> > what I'm doing here.
> > Now one last question would be: How can I insert a certain character with
> > its opentype name? For example \insertopentypecharacter{f_f_h.alt}. That
> > would be
>
> \fontchar{f_f_h.alt} I think

Hello Khaled,

\fontchar results in an undefined controll sequence =\

Regards,
Chris

* Re: Using Bold SmallCaps in LuaTeX - typescript
@ 2010-11-29 13:42             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-11-29 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.11.2010 um 14:38 schrieb Ch. B.:

> \fontchar results in an undefined controll sequence =\

In this case your context is too old and the command is not available.

Wolfgang

* Re: Using Bold SmallCaps in LuaTeX - typescript
@ 2010-11-29 14:20             ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-11-29 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 02:38:54PM +0100, Ch. B. wrote:
> > \fontchar{f_f_h.alt} I think
>
> Hello Khaled,
>
> \fontchar results in an undefined controll sequence =\

It was \otfchar in some older versions, I think.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: Using Bold SmallCaps in LuaTeX - typescript
@ 2010-11-29 14:36               ` Ch. B.
From: Ch. B. @ 2010-11-29 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Montag, 29. November 2010, um 15:20:05 schrieb Khaled Hosny:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 02:38:54PM +0100, Ch. B. wrote:
> > > \fontchar{f_f_h.alt} I think
> >
> > Hello Khaled,
> >
> > \fontchar results in an undefined controll sequence =\
>
> It was \otfchar in some older versions, I think.
>
> Regards,
>  Khaled

@Khaled:
Perfect! Thank you!

@Wolfgang:
Version info:
ConTeXt  ver: 2009.11.26 16:28 MKIV  fmt: 2010.11.25
LuaTeX, Version beta-0.60.1-2010092008 (rev 3657)
TeX 3.1415926 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)

Thanks for all your answers!

Chris