* seeking 'hello world' example for Arabic typesetting with conTeXt
@ 2010-11-28 21:48 Jon Crump
From: Jon Crump @ 2010-11-28 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt

Dear all,

I'm gradually getting my head around using ConTeXt to typeset texts
marked up in TEI/XML. I'm trying to typeset an English/Arabic text and
I keep breaking my teeth on the Arabic. I'm trying to do what I can
with the macTeX 2010 distribution, but the documentation on the
conTeXt wiki has me confused. The amount I don't know about TeX is
truly daunting, but clearly there are some basic things about font
management that I don't understand.

I thought I had found a minimal example in
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Arabic_and_Hebrew that I could use as a
starting point. After saving it locally as ara-sty.tex I tried to
typeset:

% engine=luatex
\environment ara-sty
\starttext
\setarabic

أهلا بالعالم!
\stoptext

a PDF was produced but it contained no text save for !. Among the
things that conTeXt told me was:

!define font    : font with name arabtype is not found
!define font    : unknown font arabtype, loading aborted
!define font    : unable to define arabtype as \*Arabic20ptrmtf*

Where should I look for this font? Where is conTeXt looking for it? If
I were to find it, where should I put it? I gather that fonts on my
system can be used, but font metric files for them have to be
generated. How to do that?

Apologies for the unfocused tyro questions, but the TeX world has
become so much larger than it was when I last used it that I feel
quite at sea with all the available documentation.

thanks,
Jon

* Re: seeking 'hello world' example for Arabic typesetting with conTeXt
@ 2010-11-29  4:47 ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2010-11-29  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jon,

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 14:48:32 -0700, Jon Crump <jjcrump@uw.edu> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm gradually getting my head around using ConTeXt to typeset texts
> marked up in TEI/XML. I'm trying to typeset an English/Arabic text and
> I keep breaking my teeth on the Arabic. I'm trying to do what I can
> with the macTeX 2010 distribution, but the documentation on the
> conTeXt wiki has me confused. The amount I don't know about TeX is
> truly daunting, but clearly there are some basic things about font
> management that I don't understand.

In this case it's not the font management, at least not yet ...

> I thought I had found a minimal example in
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Arabic_and_Hebrew that I could use as a
> starting point. After saving it locally as ara-sty.tex I tried to
> typeset:
>
> % engine=luatex
> \environment ara-sty
> \starttext
> \setarabic
>
> أهلا بالعالم!
> \stoptext
>
> a PDF was produced but it contained no text save for !. Among the
> things that conTeXt told me was:
>
> !define font    : font with name arabtype is not found
> !define font    : unknown font arabtype, loading aborted
> !define font    : unable to define arabtype as \*Arabic20ptrmtf*

> Where should I look for this font? Where is conTeXt looking for it? If
> I were to find it, where should I put it?

arabtype is a windows font. It's free-beer with windows but try a search
or two and you may find it stand-alone somewhere...

> I gather that fonts on my
> system can be used, but font metric files for them have to be
> generated. How to do that?

Thankfully, with MkIV one [thankfully] no longer needs to concern oneself
with metric files

> Apologies for the unfocused tyro questions, but the TeX world has
> become so much larger than it was when I last used it that I feel
> quite at sea with all the available documentation.

NP, and that page needs updating anyway. For example, forget about

\setcharactermirroring[1]

and use

\setupdirections[bidi=global] or
\setupdirections[bidi=local]

as needed. And no need for

% engine=luatex

Right now you need a font. Try the free and unicode-complete scheherezade
 from SIL and replace

[name:arabtype]

with

[name:scheherezade]

or whatever the exact font name is.

There is an modified version of scheherezade for TeX distros (Khaled and I
played with it once upon a time) but I don't know where it is at the
moment, as it's been ages since I worked on it. I thought it was part of
the ConTeXt distro already but I could not find it. I'll check into it
later.

Khaled, do you have that modified scheherezade somewhere?

There is a simpler way to approach this, I'll try to post an example in
the coming days.

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shīʿī Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: seeking 'hello world' example for Arabic typesetting with conTeXt
@ 2010-11-29  5:14   ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2010-11-29  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 21:47:08 -0700, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
<ishamid@colostate.edu> wrote:

> There is an modified version of scheherezade for TeX distros (Khaled and
> I played with it once upon a time) but I don't know where it is at the
> moment, as it's been ages since I worked on it. I thought it was part of
> the ConTeXt distro already but I could not find it. I'll check into it
> later.
>  Khaled, do you have that modified scheherezade somewhere?

The modified Scheherezade is called SimpleNaskhi.ttf, I assume Khaled has
the latest version.

Hans, Mojca: I suggest going ahead and making SimpleNaskhi the default
arabic-script unicode fallback for MkIV:

\definefontfeature[simplearabic]
     [mode=node,language=dflt,script=arab,
     init=yes,medi=yes,fina=yes,calt=yes,
     rlig=yes,curs=yes,mark=yes,mkmk=yes]

It is a very unicode-complete font, while -- as the name suggests -- quite
simple in features. For fallbacks we need:

	[arabic,arabicpresentationformsa,arabicpresentationformsb,
	 arabicsupplement,0x200C,0x200D]

we have to play with rscale to get the right balance with LM I guess...

If SimpleNaskhi is somehow broken or unavailable then we just go with

ScheherazadeRegOT.ttf

as the default font.

[BTW: I think we discussed this 18 months or so ago...]

@ 2010-11-29 18:03   ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-11-29 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس
	سماوي حامد
  Cc: mailing list for ConTeXt users

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 09:47:08PM -0700, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد wrote:
> There is an modified version of scheherezade for TeX distros (Khaled
> and I played with it once upon a time) but I don't know where it is
> at the moment, as it's been ages since I worked on it. I thought it
> was part of the ConTeXt distro already but I could not find it. I'll
> check into it later.
>
> Khaled, do you have that modified scheherezade somewhere?

I've to dig for it, I'm sure it is there somewhere. However, I've long
abandoned the idea of improving Scheherezade and instead concentrating
on my own (Amiri) font, but it does not work with MkIV right now (and
vowel marks are half done), so it is not a replacement yet. I do plan
for a simplified version of Amiri that would fulfil the original goal of
the modified Scheherezade font (and also developed in a way that works
with most of the current broken OpenType implementations, unlike the
current Amiri) and that one would be suitable as a default font, but
this is months away at best.

P.S. If any one interested in that Amiri font:
  http://amiri.sourceforge.net

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: seeking 'hello world' example for Arabic typesetting with conTeXt
@ 2010-11-29 18:11 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-11-29 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 01:48:32PM -0800, Jon Crump wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm gradually getting my head around using ConTeXt to typeset texts
> marked up in TEI/XML. I'm trying to typeset an English/Arabic text and
> I keep breaking my teeth on the Arabic. I'm trying to do what I can
> with the macTeX 2010 distribution, but the documentation on the
> conTeXt wiki has me confused. The amount I don't know about TeX is
> truly daunting, but clearly there are some basic things about font
> management that I don't understand.
>
> I thought I had found a minimal example in
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Arabic_and_Hebrew that I could use as a
> starting point. After saving it locally as ara-sty.tex I tried to
> typeset:

This page is a bit outdated, things can be done in simpler ways now.
I've typeset a small Arabic book in ConTeXt last year (and should be
working on a small one now) but I use my own BiDi implementation so my
setup is a bit different than the "standard" way. If I got that book
done in ConTeXt I'll try to write some updated examples and publish the
TeX files of the book for anyone interested.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: seeking 'hello world' example for Arabic typesetting with conTeXt
@ 2010-11-29 18:30     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-11-29 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس
	سماوي حامد
  Cc: mailing list for ConTeXt users, Mojca Miklavec

On 29-11-2010 6:14, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد wrote:

> \definefontfeature[simplearabic]
> [mode=node,language=dflt,script=arab,
> init=yes,medi=yes,fina=yes,calt=yes,
> rlig=yes,curs=yes,mark=yes,mkmk=yes]

added

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-11-29 19:16     ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس  سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس  سماوي حامد @ 2010-11-29 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:03:06 -0700, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny@eglug.org>
wrote:

> I've to dig for it, I'm sure it is there somewhere. However, I've long
> abandoned the idea of improving Scheherezade and instead concentrating
> on my own (Amiri) font, but it does not work with MkIV right now (and
> vowel marks are half done), so it is not a replacement yet. I do plan
> for a simplified version of Amiri that would fulfil the original goal of
> the modified Scheherezade font (and also developed in a way that works
> with most of the current broken OpenType implementations, unlike the
> current Amiri) and that one would be suitable as a default font, but
> this is months away at best.

OK: In that case, let's include the standard Scheharezade as is in the
minimals until another unicode-complete font comes along. It has an Open
Font License so should be no problem.

Miojca: Till then, where do you suggest placing Scheharezade in the tree?

Best wishes
Idris
International Journal of Shiʿi Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: seeking 'hello world' example for Arabic typesetting with conTeXt
@ 2010-11-29 19:23       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-11-29 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

2010/11/29 Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس  سماوي حامد <ishamid@colostate.edu>:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:03:06 -0700, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny@eglug.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I've to dig for it, I'm sure it is there somewhere. However, I've long
>> abandoned the idea of improving Scheherezade and instead concentrating
>> on my own (Amiri) font, but it does not work with MkIV right now (and
>> vowel marks are half done), so it is not a replacement yet. I do plan
>> for a simplified version of Amiri that would fulfil the original goal of
>> the modified Scheherezade font (and also developed in a way that works
>> with most of the current broken OpenType implementations, unlike the
>> current Amiri) and that one would be suitable as a default font, but
>> this is months away at best.
>
> OK: In that case, let's include the standard Scheharezade as is in the
> minimals until another unicode-complete font comes along. It has an Open
> Font License so should be no problem.
>
> Miojca: Till then, where do you suggest placing Scheharezade in the tree?
tex/texmf/fonts/truetype/public/scheharezade
?
--
luigi

* Re: seeking 'hello world' example for Arabic typesetting with conTeXt
@ 2010-11-29 19:28         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-11-29 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29-11-2010 8:23, luigi scarso wrote:
> 2010/11/29 Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس  سماوي حامد<ishamid@colostate.edu>:
>>

>> On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:03:06 -0700, Khaled Hosny<khaledhosny@eglug.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've to dig for it, I'm sure it is there somewhere. However, I've long
>>> abandoned the idea of improving Scheherezade and instead concentrating
>>> on my own (Amiri) font, but it does not work with MkIV right now (and
>>> vowel marks are half done), so it is not a replacement yet. I do plan
>>> for a simplified version of Amiri that would fulfil the original goal of
>>> the modified Scheherezade font (and also developed in a way that works
>>> with most of the current broken OpenType implementations, unlike the
>>> current Amiri) and that one would be suitable as a default font, but
>>> this is months away at best.
>>
>> OK: In that case, let's include the standard Scheharezade as is in the
>> minimals until another unicode-complete font comes along. It has an Open
>> Font License so should be no problem.
>>
>> Miojca: Till then, where do you suggest placing Scheharezade in the tree?
> tex/texmf/fonts/truetype/public/scheharezade
> ?

fonts/data/sil/scheharezade

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-11-29 20:18   ` Jon Crump
From: Jon Crump @ 2010-11-29 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris, Khaled, et alia,

Many, many thanks! Failing to find SimpleNaskhi.ttf anywhere, I
downloaded ScheherazadeRegOT.ttf from SIL. I have the font in the same
directory as my tei file apr.xml; along with my ara-sty.tex file
suitably edited with the font name for the \definefontsynonym
commands; and the environment file svo-tei.tex, in which I assert at
the top: \environment ara-sty, and call in a \startxmlsetups command
thus:

\startxmlsetups xml:div:month
	\blank[line]\midaligned{\xmlatt{#1}{n}}\blank[medium]
	\setarabic
\stopxmlsetups

Now, when I invoke context at the command-line:

context --environment=svo-tei.tex apr.xml

I'm finally seeing some Arabic text, and it's beautiful! It's a great
pity I don't actually read Arabic ;-(

It remains now to define my xmlsetups in such a way as to be able to
distinguish between the Arabic and Roman sections; my tei file is a
bit idiosyncratic, and I've much to do still in grasping the necessary
lpath expressions, but at last I'm making some progress! My heartfelt
thanks and profound admiration for all that you and your colleagues
have accomplished. I hope you'll not mind further simple-minded
questions down the road as I progress with this project.

Best,
Jon

2010/11/28 Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد <ishamid@colostate.edu>:
> Hi Jon,
> Thankfully, with MkIV one [thankfully] no longer needs to concern oneself
> with metric files

Amen!

> NP, and that page needs updating anyway. For example, forget about
>
> \setcharactermirroring[1]
>
> and use
>
> \setupdirections[bidi=global] or
> \setupdirections[bidi=local]

not sure how to use these yet, but it's working.

> There is a simpler way to approach this, I'll try to post an example in the coming days.

I'll look forward to any guidance for tyros that you may care to share

* Re: seeking 'hello world' example for Arabic typesetting with conTeXt
@ 2010-11-30 11:50       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-11-30 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس
	سماوي حامد
  Cc: mailing list for ConTeXt users

2010/11/29 Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس  سماوي حامد wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:03:06 -0700, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>
> OK: In that case, let's include the standard Scheharezade as is in the
> minimals until another unicode-complete font comes along. It has an Open
> Font License so should be no problem.
>
> Mojca: Till then, where do you suggest placing Scheharezade in the tree?

If we make some font the default one ... it makes sense to put it on
CTAN and include it in TeX Live as well, right?

Mojca

But then ... I somehow find it a bit weird to have Arabic fallback
inside Latin Modern unless a user requests that explicitely and also
says which font he wants to use. That it: I would suggest to have some
setting that would tell exactly which glyphs to replace in the main
font, which features to use ... but then the user would say that this
font needs to be added.

That is: are we also going to add Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Ethiopic,
... etc. scripts, all inside the one default font?

* Re: seeking 'hello world' example for Arabic typesetting with conTeXt
@ 2010-11-30 12:06         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-11-30 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس
	سماوي حامد,
	Mojca Miklavec

On 30-11-2010 12:50, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> But then ... I somehow find it a bit weird to have Arabic fallback
> inside Latin Modern unless a user requests that explicitely and also

that will not be a default (but one can of course configure that in
cont-sys.tex)

> says which font he wants to use. That it: I would suggest to have some
> setting that would tell exactly which glyphs to replace in the main
> font, which features to use ... but then the user would say that this
> font needs to be added.
>
> That is: are we also going to add Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Ethiopic,
> ... etc. scripts, all inside the one default font?

no

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-11-30 14:46         ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد @ 2010-11-30 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 04:50:58 -0700, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/11/29 Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس  سماوي حامد wrote:
>> On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:03:06 -0700, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>>
>> OK: In that case, let's include the standard Scheharezade as is in the
>> minimals until another unicode-complete font comes along. It has an Open
>> Font License so should be no problem.
>>
>> Mojca: Till then, where do you suggest placing Scheharezade in the tree?
>
> If we make some font the default one ... it makes sense to put it on
> CTAN and include it in TeX Live as well, right?

Well, I only use ConTeXt;-) but TeXLive could use a default Arabic font as
well for XeTeX (a fellow SIL project); surprised it's not there already ...

> But then ... I somehow find it a bit weird to have Arabic fallback
> inside Latin Modern unless a user requests that explicitely and also
> says which font he wants to use. That it: I would suggest to have some
> setting that would tell exactly which glyphs to replace in the main
> font, which features to use ... but then the user would say that this
> font needs to be added.

What we need is for new users to be able to say, eg,

\setmainlanguage[arabic]
\setupdirections[bidi=global] % maybe this should be implied by
\setmainlanguage[arabic]

\starttext
أهلا بالعالم!
\stoptext

And get Scheharezade without doing anything else.

Indeed, especially once bidi is fully tested etc, one should be able to do
just

\starttext
أهلا بالعالم!
\stoptext

and get correct Arabic output, with an implied

\setupdirections[bidi=local]

In other words, users need to be able to invoke default Arabic without
doing really much of anything, just as they currently do with LM. Then
users can switch fonts, adjust bidi controls, change features etc.

Since LM has no Arabic, "replacement" of glyphs is not an issue, and
Scheharezade is simple enough that a default feature set will suffice.

Default Arabic boosts moral, attracts more users, saves time on the list,
helps to focus on bugs and tweaks [as opposed to "How can I get
Arabic-script working"], is a Good Idea (TM) etc :-)

@ 2010-12-01  9:48           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-12-01  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

2010/11/30 Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد <ishamid@colostate.edu>:
> What we need is for new users to be able to say, eg,
>
> \setmainlanguage[arabic]
> \setupdirections[bidi=global] % maybe this should be implied by
> \setmainlanguage[arabic]
>
> \starttext
> أهلا بالعالم!
> \stoptext
>
> And get Scheharezade without doing anything else.
Maybe we can put the fonts as an extra module .

--
luigi

* Re: seeking 'hello world' example for Arabic typesetting with conTeXt
@ 2010-12-01 17:53             ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس  سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس  سماوي حامد @ 2010-12-01 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 02:48:13 -0700, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2010/11/30 Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد <ishamid@colostate.edu>:
>> What we need is for new users to be able to say, eg,
>>
>> \setmainlanguage[arabic]
>> \setupdirections[bidi=global] % maybe this should be implied by
>> \setmainlanguage[arabic]
>>
>> \starttext
>> أهلا بالعالم!
>> \stoptext
>>
>> And get Scheharezade without doing anything else.
> Maybe we can put the fonts as an extra module .

Why a seperate module? It's an Open Font License. Why add unnecessary
extra work for users, especially new ones?