* howto start with presentations?
@ 2011-01-08 16:40 Jonas Stein
From: Jonas Stein @ 2011-01-08 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

i am familiar with latex beamer and like to make a similar
pdf presentation in context [1].

I found nice designs like pre-22 where can i find a good
example for the text structure
(like table of contents and headlines)?

My title page appeares on all pages and such.

Kind regards,

[1] https://github.com/jonasstein/context-quickstart/blob/master/context-schnelleinstieg.tex

--
Jonas Stein <news@jonasstein.de>

* Re: howto start with presentations?
@ 2011-01-08 17:08 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-01-08 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 08.01.2011 um 17:40 schrieb Jonas Stein:

> Hi,
>
> i am familiar with latex beamer and like to make a similar
> pdf presentation in context [1].
>
> I found nice designs like pre-22 where can i find a good
> example for the text structure
> (like table of contents and headlines)?

Take a look at the simpleslides module.

Wolfgang

* Re: howto start with presentations?
@ 2011-01-08 17:48   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2011-01-08 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 8, 2011, at 6:08 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>> I found nice designs like pre-22 where can i find a good
>> example for the text structure
>> (like table of contents and headlines)?
>
> Take a look at the simpleslides module.

Which, however, doesn't do TOCS.

Thomas

* Re: howto start with presentations?
@ 2011-01-08 18:00   ` Jonas Stein
From: Jonas Stein @ 2011-01-08 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

>> i am familiar with latex beamer and like to make a similar
>> pdf presentation in context [1].
>>
>> I found nice designs like pre-22 where can i find a good
>> example for the text structure
>> (like table of contents and headlines)?
>
> Take a look at the simpleslides module.

Where can i find an example of simpleslides usage?

--

@ 2011-01-08 18:08     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-01-08 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011, Jonas Stein wrote:

>>> i am familiar with latex beamer and like to make a similar
>>> pdf presentation in context [1].
>>>
>>> I found nice designs like pre-22 where can i find a good
>>> example for the text structure
>>> (like table of contents and headlines)?
>>
>> Take a look at the simpleslides module.
>
> Where can i find an example of simpleslides usage?

http://modules.contextgarden.net/simpleslides
http://dl.contextgarden.net/modules/t-simpleslides/doc/context/third/simpleslides/solutions/
http://dl.contextgarden.net/modules/t-simpleslides/doc/context/third/simpleslides/simpleslides.pdf

Aditya

* Re: howto start with presentations?
@ 2011-01-08 18:12     ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2011-01-08 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Where can i find an example of simpleslides usage?

Either take a look on your hard drive at:

tex/texmf-context/doc/context/third/simpleslides/simpleslides.pdf

or at:

http://dl.contextgarden.net/modules/t-simpleslides/doc/context/third/simpleslides/simpleslides.pdf

There you'll find many examples how to use the module.

Regards
Marco

* Re: howto start with presentations?
@ 2011-01-08 23:10       ` Jonas Stein
From: Jonas Stein @ 2011-01-08 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

>> Where can i find an example of simpleslides usage?
> http://modules.contextgarden.net/simpleslides

Thank you. I found out, that my code did not work because
simpleslides was not part of the debian context package.

I have downloaded the zip file and extracted it.
What should i do with it?
I dont want to copy it to any /usr/*/texmf/.. directory manually.
That would crash the package manager.

Is it possible to copy some files to the current project directory,
where the .tex files is that needs simpleslides?
That would not touch my tex-system or debian system.

[1] http://dl.contextgarden.net/modules/t-simpleslides-2010.02.10.zip

--

@ 2011-01-09  0:21         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-01-09  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011, Jonas Stein wrote:

>>> Where can i find an example of simpleslides usage?
>> http://modules.contextgarden.net/simpleslides
>
> Thank you. I found out, that my code did not work because
> simpleslides was not part of the debian context package.
>
> I have downloaded the zip file and extracted it.
> What should i do with it?
> I dont want to copy it to any /usr/*/texmf/.. directory manually.
> That would crash the package manager.

You can extract the files inside $TEXMFLOCAL (usually set to
/usr/local/share/texmf, but see the output of

    kpsewhich --expand-var=\$TEXMFLOCAL

to be sure) or $TEXMFHOME (usually set to ~/texmf)

> Is it possible to copy some files to the current project directory,
> where the .tex files is that needs simpleslides?

You can also copy the files in tex/context/third/simpleslides to your
current directory, and everything should work. But the module consists of
many files, and that will make your working directory extremely cluttered.

Aditya

* Re: howto start with presentations?
@ 2011-01-09  3:50           ` Jonas Stein
From: Jonas Stein @ 2011-01-09  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> You can extract the files inside $TEXMFLOCAL (usually set to
> /usr/local/share/texmf, but see the output of

Thank you again. I tried it now:

$ kpsewhich --expand-var=\$TEXMFLOCAL
/usr/local/share/texmf

i extracted the zip file there as root and called
# mktexlsr
as root.
Then i checked as user if the file can be found:

$ kpsewhich t-simpleslides.tex
/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/context/third/simpleslides/t-simpleslides.tex

then i run my makefile with
$ make view

that calls
texexec --utfbom --pdf context-schnelleinstieg.tex

.
.
.
system          : module empty not found
system          : module simpleslides not found
.
.
.

there are two things i do not understand:
1) why are the modules still not found?
2) why is no errorcode raised but a pdf is created on a
major problem like missing module?

kind regards,

--

@ 2011-01-09 17:15             ` Jonas Stein
From: Jonas Stein @ 2011-01-09 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2011-01-09, Jonas Stein <news@jonasstein.de> wrote:
>> You can extract the files inside $TEXMFLOCAL (usually set to
>> /usr/local/share/texmf, but see the output of
>
> Thank you again. I tried it now:
>

> $ kpsewhich --expand-var=\$TEXMFLOCAL
> /usr/local/share/texmf
>
> i extracted the zip file there as root and called
> # mktexlsr
> as root.
> Then i checked as user if the file can be found:
>
> $ kpsewhich t-simpleslides.tex
> /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/context/third/simpleslides/t-simpleslides.tex
>
> then i run my makefile with
> $ make view
>
> that calls
> texexec --utfbom --pdf context-schnelleinstieg.tex
>
> .
> .
> .
> system          : module empty not found
> system          : module simpleslides not found
> .
> .
> .
>

> there are two things i do not understand:
> 1) why are the modules still not found?
> 2) why is no errorcode raised but a pdf is created on a
> major problem like missing module?
>
> kind regards,

sorry i forgot the link:
the log files and the .tex files are here:

@ 2011-01-09 17:37               ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-01-09 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 09.01.2011 um 18:15 schrieb Jonas Stein:

>> there are two things i do not understand:
>> 1) why are the modules still not found?
>> 2) why is no errorcode raised but a pdf is created on a
>> major problem like missing module?
>>
>> kind regards,
>>
> sorry i forgot the link:
> the log files and the .tex files are here:
> https://github.com/jonasstein/context-quickstart

When you take a closer look in the log you can see that the module is found.

system          : module simpleslides loaded
(/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/context/third/simpleslides/t-simpleslides.tex
system          : module default loaded
(/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/context/third/simpleslides/simpleslides-f-default.tex
simpleslides    : loading default font setup

Wolfgang

* Re: howto start with presentations?
@ 2011-01-09 17:57                 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-01-09 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 09.01.2011 um 18:15 schrieb Jonas Stein:
>
>>> there are two things i do not understand:
>>> 1) why are the modules still not found?
>>> 2) why is no errorcode raised but a pdf is created on a
>>> major problem like missing module?
>>>
>>> kind regards,
>>>
>> sorry i forgot the link:
>> the log files and the .tex files are here:
>> https://github.com/jonasstein/context-quickstart
>
> When you take a closer look in the log you can see that the module is found.
>
> system          : module simpleslides loaded
> (/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/context/third/simpleslides/t-simpleslides.tex
> system          : module default loaded
> (/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/context/third/simpleslides/simpleslides-f-default.tex
> simpleslides    : loading default font setup

It appears that you have a mismatch of the log and tex files.

The tex file says

\usemodule[simpleslides]
           [style=BigNumber]

while the log file says

system          : module swoosh not found

It should not look for swoosh submodule when you asked for the BigNumber
module. (BTW, the style is Swoosh, with capital S). Moreover, the call to
the swoosh module is when ConTeXt is reading simpleslides-s-default.tex
which should never happen

I also do not know why the log has the lines

system          : module empty not found
system          : module simpleslides not found

near the end. Can you update the log with a \loggingall before loading the
module?

Aditya

* Re: howto start with presentations?
@ 2011-01-09 18:15                   ` Jonas Stein
From: Jonas Stein @ 2011-01-09 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> It appears that you have a mismatch of the log and tex files.

sorry, my fault.

> module. (BTW, the style is Swoosh, with capital S). Moreover, the call to

i changed it to capital "Swoosh"
now i have different color for the text in the pdf, but i can not see
the wave-effect yet.

> near the end. Can you update the log with a \loggingall before loading the
> module?

i have uploaded it now as you told me.

its here:

@ 2011-01-09 18:56                     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-01-09 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011, Jonas Stein wrote:

>> It appears that you have a mismatch of the log and tex files.
>
> sorry, my fault.
>
>> module. (BTW, the style is Swoosh, with capital S). Moreover, the call to
>
> i changed it to capital "Swoosh"
> now i have different color for the text in the pdf, but i can not see
> the wave-effect yet.

Please also upload the pdf.

Does a simple file with metappost graphics works?

\starttext
\startMPcode
  draw fullcircle scaled 3cm ;
\stopMPcode
\stoptext

>> near the end. Can you update the log with a \loggingall before loading the
>> module?
>
> i have uploaded it now as you told me.
>
> its here:
> https://github.com/jonasstein/context-quickstart

The log looks ok now. There is no "module simpleslides not found" message.

Aditya

* Re: howto start with presentations?
@ 2011-01-09 19:45                       ` Jonas Stein
From: Jonas Stein @ 2011-01-09 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

https://github.com/jonasstein/context-quickstart/blob/master/context-schnelleinstieg.pdf

> Does a simple file with metappost graphics works?
>
> \starttext
> \startMPcode
>   draw fullcircle scaled 3cm ;
> \stopMPcode
> \stoptext

i tested it in test.tex and test.pdf
i did not see a circle. Just a pagenumber.
https://github.com/jonasstein/context-quickstart

Thanks a lot for your assistance,

--

@ 2011-01-09 20:15                         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-01-09 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011, Jonas Stein wrote:

>>> now i have different color for the text in the pdf, but i can not see
>>> the wave-effect yet.
>>
>> Please also upload the pdf.
>
> https://github.com/jonasstein/context-quickstart/blob/master/context-schnelleinstieg.pdf
>
>> Does a simple file with metappost graphics works?
>>
>> \starttext
>> \startMPcode
>>   draw fullcircle scaled 3cm ;
>> \stopMPcode
>> \stoptext
>
> i tested it in test.tex and test.pdf

You need to either enable write18 or add

\runMPgraphicsfalse

on the top of your file.

I think that this information needs to be added to the texlive
installation page on the wiki.

Aditya

* Re: howto start with presentations?
@ 2011-01-09 22:01                           ` Jonas Stein
From: Jonas Stein @ 2011-01-09 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> You need to either enable write18 or add
> \runMPgraphicsfalse
> on the top of your file.

I put \runMPgraphicsfalse in the first line of test.tex.
That changed nothing.

Then i searched for write18 in the wiki. I found
"ConTeXt defines \systemcommandmode that is 2 if \write18 is enabled, 1 otherwise. " on [1]

so i wrote \systemcommandmode to get a 2 or 1 in textbody. [2]
But i did not get a 1 or 2. Now i can see the circle and a "^"
I have no idea, where the ^ comes from.

> I think that this information needs to be added to the texlive
> installation page on the wiki.

in the year 2006 someone wrote [3]:
"""
Hans response on the mailing list
write 18 is a hack and pdfshellescape a sane replacement
in luatex it will probably be gone completely since there we have
\directlua 0 { os.execute("...") }
"""

I wonder if write18 is necessary 5 years later.

[1] http://wiki.contextgarden.net/write18
[2] https://github.com/jonasstein/context-quickstart/blob/master/test.tex#L2
[3] http://wiki.contextgarden.net/index.php?title=write18&direction=next&oldid=6802

--

@ 2011-01-09 22:28                             ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-01-09 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011, Jonas Stein wrote:

>> You need to either enable write18 or add
>> \runMPgraphicsfalse
>> on the top of your file.
>

> I put \runMPgraphicsfalse in the first line of test.tex.
> That changed nothing.

Do you have the metapost executable and format. Does a minimal metapost
file work.

> Then i searched for write18 in the wiki. I found
> "ConTeXt defines \systemcommandmode that is 2 if \write18 is enabled, 1 otherwise. " on [1]
>
> so i wrote \systemcommandmode to get a 2 or 1 in textbody. [2]
> But i did not get a 1 or 2. Now i can see the circle and a "^"
> I have no idea, where the ^ comes from.
>

>> I think that this information needs to be added to the texlive
>> installation page on the wiki.
>
> in the year 2006 someone wrote [3]:
> """
> Hans response on the mailing list
> write 18 is a hack and pdfshellescape a sane replacement
> in luatex it will probably be gone completely since there we have
> \directlua 0 { os.execute("...") }
> """
>
> I wonder if write18 is necessary 5 years later.

You need to use MkIV to get the new features :)

Aditya

* Re: howto start with presentations?
@ 2011-01-10  0:27                               ` Jonas Stein
From: Jonas Stein @ 2011-01-10  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

>> I put \runMPgraphicsfalse in the first line of test.tex.
>> That changed nothing.
>
> Do you have the metapost executable and format. Does a minimal metapost
> file work.

i think i have metapost installed:

# whereis mpost
mpost: /usr/bin/mpost /usr/share/man/man1/mpost.1.gz

>> Hans response on the mailing list
>> write 18 is a hack and pdfshellescape a sane replacement
>> in luatex it will probably be gone completely since there we have
>> \directlua 0 { os.execute("...") }
>> """
>>
>> I wonder if write18 is necessary 5 years later.
>
> You need to use MkIV to get the new features :)

OK lets try. I have installed the package context 2010.07.30-1 [1]
on my system.

I tried
texexec --lua test.tex
and
context test.tex

but both generate no pdf.

they tell me:
====================
MTXrun | forcing cache reload
MTXrun | resolvers: warning: no lua configuration files found
MTXrun | resolvers
MTXrun | resolvers
MTXrun | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: remembering file 'mtx-context.lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
====================

[1] http://packages.debian.org/experimental/context

--

@ 2011-01-10  0:41                                 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-01-10  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Jonas Stein wrote:

>>> I put \runMPgraphicsfalse in the first line of test.tex.
>>> That changed nothing.
>>
>> Do you have the metapost executable and format. Does a minimal metapost
>> file work.
>
> i think i have metapost installed:
>
> # whereis mpost
> mpost: /usr/bin/mpost /usr/share/man/man1/mpost.1.gz

Does it work? That is if you compile

beginfig(1)
  draw fullcircle scaled 3cm ;
endfig ;
end ;

using `mp file.mp` do you get a correct file.1 file (open it using a ps
viewer).

Otherwise I don't know why you are getting erratic behavior with metapost.
Sometimes, an extra run helps.

>>> Hans response on the mailing list
>>> write 18 is a hack and pdfshellescape a sane replacement
>>> in luatex it will probably be gone completely since there we have
>>> \directlua 0 { os.execute("...") }
>>> """
>>>
>>> I wonder if write18 is necessary 5 years later.
>>
>> You need to use MkIV to get the new features :)
>
> OK lets try. I have installed the package context 2010.07.30-1 [1]
> on my system.
>
> I tried
> texexec --lua test.tex
> and
> context test.tex
>
> but both generate no pdf.
>
> they tell me:
> ====================
> MTXrun | forcing cache reload
> MTXrun | resolvers: warning: no lua configuration files found
> MTXrun | resolvers
> MTXrun | resolvers
> MTXrun | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
> MTXrun | resolvers: using sufffix based filetype 'lua'
> MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
> MTXrun | resolvers: remembering file 'mtx-context.lua'
> MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
> MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'
> ====================

As explained on http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Running_Mark_IV you need to
run

   luatools --generate.

(the format generation is now done automatically).

Aditya

* Re: howto start with presentations?
@ 2011-01-10  2:01                                   ` Jonas Stein
From: Jonas Stein @ 2011-01-10  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

>> # whereis mpost
>> mpost: /usr/bin/mpost /usr/share/man/man1/mpost.1.gz
>
> Does it work? That is if you compile
>
> beginfig(1)
>   draw fullcircle scaled 3cm ;
> endfig ;
> end ;
>
> using `mp file.mp` do you get a correct file.1 file (open it using a ps
> viewer).

$ mpost file.mp && okular file.1

shows me a nice circle.
mp is not available on my system, but mpost claims to be metapost:

$ mpost -version
MetaPost 1.208

does context expect it as 'mp'? I could create a alias mp --> mpost

> Otherwise I don't know why you are getting erratic behavior with metapost.
> Sometimes, an extra run helps.

i tried it several times and deleted the .pdf files before.
I wonder why context is so quiet if errors occour.
If something fails it should always break with errorcode != 0

> As explained on http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Running_Mark_IV you need to
> run
>
>    luatools --generate.

i suppose its a bug of the debian package if i have to run it
after installation via .deb system.

as user i did now:

$ luatools --generate

MTXrun | forcing cache reload
MTXrun | resolvers: warning: no lua configuration files found
MTXrun | resolvers
MTXrun | resolvers
MTXrun | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: remembering file 'mtx-base.lua'
MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
MTXrun | unknown script 'base.lua' or 'mtx-base.lua'

=========

seems something goes wrong here too.

Kind regards and thank you a lot for your help.

--
Jonas Stein <news@jonasstein.de>