* \date format according to ISO 8601
@ 2011-01-31 23:03 Marco
From: Marco @ 2011-01-31 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

in my opinion it makes sense to display the date in ISO 8601 format.

now:      \date  results in: January 31, 2011
ISO 8601: \date  would result in: 2011–01–31

In case Hans does not like this idea, is it possible to change it to make
ISO 8601 the default. Something like

\setupdate [format={year, –, mm, –, day}]

Regards
Marco

* Re: \date format according to ISO 8601
@ 2011-02-01 12:38 ` Stefan Müller
From: Stefan Müller @ 2011-02-01 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wouldn't like the idea of displaying \date in ISO 8601 format. I'd
rather prefer the human-readable version. The ISO 8601 is a standard for
"exchange of date and time-related data" [1], not for text documents
made for humans to read.

How to get what you want is explained here [2], I think. HTH.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601
[2] http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Reference/en/date

Best regards,
Stefan

@ 2011-02-01 16:18   ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2011-02-01 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2011-02-01 Stefan Müller <warrence.stm@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wouldn't like the idea of displaying \date in ISO 8601 format. I'd
> rather prefer the human-readable version. The ISO 8601 is a standard for
> "exchange of date and time-related data" [1], not for text documents
> made for humans to read.
>
> How to get what you want is explained here [2], I think. HTH.

No, not really. \currentdate [year, –, mm, –, dd] gives me the date in
ISO 8601 format. To force consistency it makes sense to specify the date
format in a *global* setup like

>> \setupdate [format={year, –, mm, –, dd}]

to avoid ugly constructions like

\def\Today{\currentdate [year, –, mm, –, dd]}

@ 2011-02-01 17:10 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-02-01 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 00:03, Marco wrote:

> In case Hans does not like this idea, is it possible to change it to make
> ISO 8601 the default. Something like
>
> \setupdate [format={year, –, mm, –, day}]

Your question wasn't clear at first. Is this what you want?

\setuplanguage[en][date={year,–,mm,–,dd}]

Mojca

* Re: \date format according to ISO 8601
@ 2011-02-01 17:38   ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2011-02-01 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2011-02-01 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 00:03, Marco wrote:
> >
> > In case Hans does not like this idea, is it possible to change it to make
> > ISO 8601 the default. Something like
> >
> > \setupdate [format={year, –, mm, –, day}]
>
> Your question wasn't clear at first. Is this what you want?
>
> \setuplanguage[en][date={year,–,mm,–,dd}]

Brilliant, that's exactly what I want. I didn't expect the date »hidden« in the
language settings, I looked for \setupdate.

Thanks Mojca

@ 2011-02-01 17:42     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-02-01 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 18:38, Marco wrote:
> On 2011-02-01 Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 00:03, Marco wrote:
>> >
>> > In case Hans does not like this idea, is it possible to change it to make
>> > ISO 8601 the default. Something like
>> >
>> > \setupdate [format={year, –, mm, –, day}]
>>
>> Your question wasn't clear at first. Is this what you want?
>>
>> \setuplanguage[en][date={year,–,mm,–,dd}]
>
> Brilliant, that's exactly what I want. I didn't expect the date »hidden« in the
> language settings, I looked for \setupdate.

It's because each language requires a different output, but I share
your thoughts.

Please leave a note at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Reference/en/date.

Mojca

* Re: \date format according to ISO 8601
@ 2011-02-01 23:37       ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2011-02-01 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2011-02-01 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Your question wasn't clear at first. Is this what you want?
> >>
> >> \setuplanguage[en][date={year,–,mm,–,dd}]
> >
> > Brilliant, that's exactly what I want. I didn't expect the date »hidden«
> > in the language settings, I looked for \setupdate.
>
> It's because each language requires a different output, but I share
> your thoughts.
>
> Please leave a note at http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Reference/en/date.

Done

Marco