* Switchting between betas
@ 2011-02-20 20:37 Michael Goerz
From: Michael Goerz @ 2011-02-20 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi everyone,

I've been using ConTeXt (MKIV) through TeXLive 2010 until now, but
wanted to try to use the Minimals installation. The installation went
fine, but the latest beta version was not able to compile my document
(I'll be posting about that separately).

What I'm confused about is this: Does only the beta-version have
MkIV/LuaTeX support? It seems that I cannot make the MKIV format if I
install one of the "dated" versions:

    goerz@ophelia:~/context> ./first-setup.sh --context=2010.07.30
    [ ... ]
    goerz@ophelia:~/context> mtxrun --selfupdate

    MTXrun | forcing cache reload
    MTXrun | resolvers: loading configuration file
'/Users/goerz/context/tex/texmf/web2c/texmfcnf.lua'
    MTXrun | resolvers
    MTXrun | resolvers
    MTXrun | resolvers
    MTXrun | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
    MTXrun | resolvers: to be replaced old script
/Users/goerz/context/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/mtxrun
    MTXrun | resolvers: using suffix based filetype 'lua'
    MTXrun | resolvers: unable to locate new script

Is there a way of getting a version of minimals that has MKIV and is
equivalent to the TeXLive 2010 installation, so that I can compile my
document?

More generally, is there a way to switch to the beta version of a
specific date? Considering that new betas might break the compilation
of existing documents, there would have to be a way for me to tell
people "compile this document with version xxxx" -- even if it's just a
specific revision number. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any reproducible
way of compiling documents.

Thanks,
Michael Goerz

* Re: Switchting between betas
@ 2011-02-20 22:07 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-02-20 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20-2-2011 9:37, Michael Goerz wrote:

> More generally, is there a way to switch to the beta version of a
> specific date? Considering that new betas might break the compilation
> of existing documents, there would have to be a way for me to tell
> people "compile this document with version xxxx" -- even if it's just a
> specific revision number. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any reproducible
> way of compiling documents.

you can have trees like

/context-1/...
/context-2/...
/context-3/...

and initialize them on demand or run with

mtxrun --tree=/context-2 --script context .... .

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-02-21  7:27   ` Cedric Mauclair
From: Cedric Mauclair @ 2011-02-21  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 23:07, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 20-2-2011 9:37, Michael Goerz wrote:
>
>> More generally, is there a way to switch to the beta version of a
>> specific date? Considering that new betas might break the compilation
>> of existing documents, there would have to be a way for me to tell
>> people "compile this document with version xxxx" -- even if it's just a
>> specific revision number. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any reproducible
>> way of compiling documents.
>
> you can have trees like
>
> /context-1/...
> /context-2/...
> /context-3/...
>
> and initialize them on demand or run with
>
> mtxrun --tree=/context-2 --script context .... .

>                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
>              Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>    tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

Nice! I believe one has to take care of its PATH on his own or does
the context script takes care of that too?

Regards.

-- Cédric

* Re: Switchting between betas
@ 2011-02-21  8:11     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-02-21  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21-2-2011 8:27, Cedric Mauclair wrote:

> Nice! I believe one has to take care of its PATH on his own or does
> the context script takes care of that too?

either use the 'setuptex' script in the tex tree that you want to use,
or add the bin path of the tree you want

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-02-21  8:34       ` zs
From: zs @ 2011-02-21  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 09:11:10 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 21-2-2011 8:27, Cedric Mauclair wrote:
>
> > Nice! I believe one has to take care of its PATH on his own or does
> > the context script takes care of that too?
>
> either use the 'setuptex' script in the tex tree that you want to use,
> or add the bin path of the tree you want

..only if somebody else would like to use my style:
I use following two aliases in my .bashrc to switch between two context installations.

alias ctx1='unset `env | grep TEX | sed "s/=.*$//"`; . /opt/context1/tex/setuptex;  export PS1="# "; export OSFONTDIR="/usr/share/fonts" '

alias ctx2='unset `env | grep TEX | sed "s/=.*$//"`; . /opt/context2/tex/setuptex;  export PS1="# "; export OSFONTDIR="/usr/share/fonts" '

I open console in directory with tex source files and run ctx1 or ctx2 command.
It's comfortable, flexible and easy IMO.

Zdenek