* Fwd: The creation of a new Arabic typeface (funded by Google)
       [not found] <4D82949A.9010203@GMX.DE>
@ 2011-03-18 10:37 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-03-18 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

 From TeX-D-L:

Google sponsors development of a screen-optimized Arabic font.

> Graham Douglas weist in seinem Blog darauf hin, daß Google derzeit die
> Entwicklung eines arabischen Fonts finanziert, der besonders für die
> Darstellung auf Bildschirmen optimiert worden ist. Die Entwicklung des
> Fonts wird im Blog fortlaufend dokumentiert.
>
> <http://www.readytext.co.uk/?p=924>
> <http://shashafont.com/>

Idris et al., perhaps you can teach them to include the proper
OpenType magic?

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Fwd: The creation of a new Arabic typeface (funded by Google)
@ 2011-03-18 11:01   ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2011-03-18 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Idris et al., perhaps you can teach them to include the proper
> OpenType magic?

  I really wonder how relevant advanced typography would be in that
case, where it relates to on-screen display.  It seems to be more about
hinting and similar issues.

	Arthur

* Re: Fwd: The creation of a new Arabic typeface (funded by Google)
@ 2011-03-18 11:15   ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2011-03-18 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 11:37:40AM +0100, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> From TeX-D-L:
>
> Google sponsors development of a screen-optimized Arabic font.
>
> >Graham Douglas weist in seinem Blog darauf hin, daß Google derzeit die
> >Entwicklung eines arabischen Fonts finanziert, der besonders für die
> >Darstellung auf Bildschirmen optimiert worden ist. Die Entwicklung des
> >Fonts wird im Blog fortlaufend dokumentiert.
> >
> ><http://www.readytext.co.uk/?p=924>
> ><http://shashafont.com/>
>

> Idris et al., perhaps you can teach them to include the proper
> OpenType magic?

They are, more or less, friends of mine, though I'm not sure I'll be
around when the reach OpenType development stage, but I don't think the
design they are after will require much of tricky OpenType hacks.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Egyptian

* Re: Fwd: The creation of a new Arabic typeface (funded by Google)
@ 2011-03-18 20:51     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-03-18 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2011-03-18 um 12:01 schrieb Arthur Reutenauer:

>> Idris et al., perhaps you can teach them to include the proper
>> OpenType magic?
>
>  I really wonder how relevant advanced typography would be in that
> case, where it relates to on-screen display.  It seems to be more
> about
> hinting and similar issues.

I don’t care about Arabic myself, but I thought it would be nice to
have another choice for a free Arabic font to use with ConTeXt. Even
if it’s screen optimized, it might work well in print, too - and some
of use use ConTeXt more often for presentations anyway.

Am 2011-03-18 um 12:15 schrieb Khaled Hosny:

> They are, more or less, friends of mine, though I'm not sure I'll be
> around when the reach OpenType development stage, but I don't think
> the
> design they are after will require much of tricky OpenType hacks.

If your kind of expertise isn’t needed, the better - I can only see
that your samples look impressive, but have no clue how excellent
Arabic typography *should* look... ;-)