* More bibl-apa.tex modifications
@ 2011-03-21  0:16 Pontus Lurcock
From: Pontus Lurcock @ 2011-03-21  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

Hello,

I have found another minor problem in the bibl-apa style (ConTeXt v.
2011.02.25 22:03), this time for Master's theses, which get an extra
space between the phrase ‘Master's Thesis,’ and the university's name
and address, thus:

Smith, A. B. (2000). A Thesis Title. Master's thesis,  City, Country:
University of Something.

I think this would be better as:

Smith, A. B. (2000). A Thesis Title. Master's thesis. City, Country:
University of Something.

(This also changes the comma to a dot.) I have implemented this with
the following modifications to bibl-apa.tex (original lines commented
out, mine inserted afterwards):

----

\setuppublicationlayout[mastersthesis]{%
   \insertauthors{}{ }{}%
   \insertpubyear{(}{). }{}%
   \inserttitle{\bgroup }{\egroup \insertseries{ (}{)}{}. }{}%
   \insertbibtype{}{.}{Master's thesis.}%
%   \insertbibtype{}{, }{Master's thesis, }%
   \insertpublisher{ }{.}{.}%
%   \insertpages{ }{p. }{}%
   \insertpages{ }{ p. }{}%
   \insertnote{ }{.}{}%
}

\setuppublicationlayout[phdthesis]{%
   \insertauthors{}{ }{}%
   \insertpubyear{(}{). }{}%
   \inserttitle{\bgroup\it }{\egroup \insertseries{ (}{)}{}. }{}%
%   \insertbibtype{}{, }{PhD thesis,}%
   \insertbibtype{}{.}{PhD thesis.}%
   \insertpublisher{ }{.}{.}%
   \insertpages{ }{ p. }{}%
   \insertnote{ }{.}{}%
}

----

This also incorporates three other changes: changing the comma after
‘PhD thesis’ to a dot; removing the space after the punctuation in
the PhD bibtype ‘after’ group (only used if type is specified);
and adding a space to the start of the pages ‘after’ group.

I hope that these can be incorporated, if they meet with agreement.

Aside: this still doesn't correspond to current official APA style
(though it's a bit closer), but I'm not sure how many people care
about that. In my case I only care that my bibliography doesn't show
obvious weirdness like double spaces.

Here's a minimal example to show the behaviour (the spacing=packed
makes it clearer where the extra space appears):

----

\startpublication[k=mcmillan1993abbotsford,t=phdthesis,
a={{McMillan}},y=1993,
n=150,s=McM93]
\author[]{S.~G.}[S.~G.]{}{McMillan}
\title{The Abbotsford Formation}
\pubyear{1993}
\pubname{University of Otago}
\city{Dunedin, New Zealand}
\stoppublication

\startpublication[k=vondobeneck1985gesteinsmagnetische,t=mastersthesis,
a={{von Dobeneck}},y=1985,
n=483,s=vD85]
\author[]{T.}[T.]{von}{Dobeneck}
\pubyear{1985}
\title{{Gesteinsmagnetische Untersuchungen an tiefseesedimenten des
  Sudatlantiks}}
\pubname{Inst. Allg. und Angew. Geophys., Ludwig Maximilian University}
\city{München}
\stoppublication

\setuplanguage[en][spacing=packed]
\starttext
\placepublications[criterium=all]
\stoptext

----

Pont

only message in thread, other threads:[~2011-03-21  0:16 UTC | newest]