* \activatespacehandler
@ 2011-06-10 16:49 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-06-10 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

\activatespacehandler{on} does not work in MkIV. I guess that this is
because \controlspace does not give the right glyph in MkIV, possibly
because, in opentype fonts, \char 32 is the same as regular space.

Any idea how to fix this? Is there a unicode character for visible space.
A discussion on the xetex mailing list suggests
http://www.tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2006-February/003095.html 0x2423, but
that looks very different from \tt\char 32.

Aditya

* Re: \activatespacehandler
@ 2011-06-10 17:01 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-06-10 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> \activatespacehandler{on} does not work in MkIV. I guess that this is because
> \controlspace does not give the right glyph in MkIV, possibly because, in
> opentype fonts, \char 32 is the same as regular space.
>
> Any idea how to fix this? Is there a unicode character for visible space. A
> discussion on the xetex mailing list suggests
> http://www.tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2006-February/003095.html 0x2423, but that
> looks very different from \tt\char 32.

Actually, the relavant code is in enco-ini.mkiv. So the fix is to set

\def\controlspace{\fastcontrolspace}

in char-act.mkiv, or use \fastcontrolspace in spac-hor.mkiv

Aditya

* Re: \activatespacehandler
@ 2011-06-10 17:03 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2011-06-10 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:49:43PM -0400, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> \activatespacehandler{on} does not work in MkIV. I guess that this
> is because \controlspace does not give the right glyph in MkIV,
> possibly because, in opentype fonts, \char 32 is the same as regular
> space.
>
> Any idea how to fix this? Is there a unicode character for visible
> space. A discussion on the xetex mailing list suggests
> http://www.tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2006-February/003095.html 0x2423,
> but that looks very different from \tt\char 32.

The Unicode annotation of that character says "graphic for space", so I
guess it is the right character, but fonts might have not-so-suitable
glyph

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Egyptian

* Re: \activatespacehandler
@ 2011-06-10 17:23   ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2011-06-10 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The Unicode annotation of that character says "graphic for space", so I
> guess it is the right character, but fonts might have not-so-suitable
> glyph

  That's two different things: U+2423 is the visual representation of a
white space character (hence it can't be white space since it's meant to
give a cue to the reader that there is something here), while Aditya
actually wants white space.  In this case, U+2423 isn't appropriate.

	Arthur