* Unsupported Platform
@ 2011-06-12 23:42 Kip Warner
From: Kip Warner @ 2011-06-12 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hey folks,

I just downloaded the first-setup.sh to a machine running GNU. In
executing it, I got an error message that self suggested it be reported
to the mailing list.

$ ./first-setup.sh --extra=all
Error: your system "Linux mips64" is not supported yet.

Take care,

PS Please cc me if you need to contact me, as I'm not on the list.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred

* Re: Unsupported Platform
@ 2011-06-13  7:34 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-06-13  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 01:42, Kip Warner wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I just downloaded the first-setup.sh to a machine running GNU. In
> executing it, I got an error message that self suggested it be reported
> to the mailing list.
>
> $ ./first-setup.sh --extra=all
> Error: your system "Linux mips64" is not supported yet.
>
> Take care,

Thanks a lot for the report.

Since none of us has the ability to compile for that architecture, the
only way to include support is if somebody compiles TeX Live (2011)
binaries as soon as possible and then keeps compiling LuaTeX and
metapost for that architecture on regular basis (once per month on
average, but it is nice to have reacting time within a few days).

Are you willing to volunteer for that?

Mojca

* Re: Unsupported Platform
@ 2011-06-13 16:51   ` Kip Warner
From: Kip Warner @ 2011-06-13 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 09:34 +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Thanks a lot for the report.
>
> Since none of us has the ability to compile for that architecture, the
> only way to include support is if somebody compiles TeX Live (2011)
> binaries as soon as possible and then keeps compiling LuaTeX and
> metapost for that architecture on regular basis (once per month on
> average, but it is nice to have reacting time within a few days).
>
> Are you willing to volunteer for that?
>
> Mojca

Hey Mojca,

I could, but on the condition that it doesn't require any more than a
few minutes of my time each month because I am pretty task saturated
already.

--

@ 2011-06-13 17:37     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-06-13 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 18:51, Kip Warner wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 09:34 +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> Thanks a lot for the report.
>>
>> Since none of us has the ability to compile for that architecture, the
>> only way to include support is if somebody compiles TeX Live (2011)
>> binaries as soon as possible and then keeps compiling LuaTeX and
>> metapost for that architecture on regular basis (once per month on
>> average, but it is nice to have reacting time within a few days).
>>
>> Are you willing to volunteer for that?
>>
>> Mojca
>
> Hey Mojca,
>
> I could, but on the condition that it doesn't require any more than a
> few minutes of my time each month because I am pretty task saturated
> already.

When sources are updated and if everything is set up properly, you
only need to run a single command from terminal (at the end you need
to provide svn password unless you configure svn to store it for you).
It takes about 10 minutes to finish compilation, but it only takes
processor time, no work for you. You can also set up a cron job to run
each night in which case there will be absolutely zero work for you
unless compilation fails.

What is more important is not to abandone the work once you start it.
It makes little to no sense to provide binaries if you happen to, say,
not have time to update the binaries for a month.

You can try
    svn co http://svn.contextgarden.net/minimals-src/build-binaries

Try to run bin_update_src.sh and try to build luatex and metapost (you
can also run bin_buid.sh, but then you need to patch platform.sh
first). Usually you just hit "do_all.sh".

However the first required step is to build TeX Live sources. See
    http://www.tug.org/texlive/build.html

The deadline for release of TeX Line 2011 is end of June. It would be
most helpful for me if TeX Live's SVN could include binaries. Updating
TeX Live binaries is only done once per year and you might need to
repeat that two or three times within a month (when bugs are
discovered).

Can you please try if you can build the successfully?

Mojca

* Re: Unsupported Platform
@ 2011-06-14  1:08       ` Kip Warner
From: Kip Warner @ 2011-06-14  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 19:37 +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> When sources are updated and if everything is set up properly, you
> only need to run a single command from terminal (at the end you need
> to provide svn password unless you configure svn to store it for you).
> It takes about 10 minutes to finish compilation, but it only takes
> processor time, no work for you. You can also set up a cron job to run
> each night in which case there will be absolutely zero work for you
> unless compilation fails.
>
> What is more important is not to abandone the work once you start it.
> It makes little to no sense to provide binaries if you happen to, say,
> not have time to update the binaries for a month.
>
> You can try
>     svn co http://svn.contextgarden.net/minimals-src/build-binaries
>
> Try to run bin_update_src.sh and try to build luatex and metapost (you
> can also run bin_buid.sh, but then you need to patch platform.sh
> first). Usually you just hit "do_all.sh".
>

> However the first required step is to build TeX Live sources. See
>     http://www.tug.org/texlive/build.html
>
> The deadline for release of TeX Line 2011 is end of June. It would be
> most helpful for me if TeX Live's SVN could include binaries. Updating
> TeX Live binaries is only done once per year and you might need to
> repeat that two or three times within a month (when bugs are
> discovered).
>
> Can you please try if you can build the successfully?
>
> Mojca

Hey Mojca,

I think you raise some good points and this would be a useful
contribution to the project. I think the easiest thing to do would be if
I just give you a shell account on a MIPS64 machine and you can run this
yourself, if you like. I haven't much time.

If that is ok with you, please email me off the list.

Take care,

--

@ 2011-06-14  7:56         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-06-14  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 03:08, Kip Warner wrote:

> Hey Mojca,
>
> I think you raise some good points and this would be a useful
> contribution to the project. I think the easiest thing to do would be if
> I just give you a shell account on a MIPS64 machine and you can run this
> yourself, if you like. I haven't much time.

I would be glad to help and to build the binaries, but I'm not sure if
it pays back to do that for zero users. The additional problem is that
I don't know anything about compiler, compatibility of binaries
accross different OS versions etc.

I will keep your offer in mind in case that a few more people request
support for the same architecture. If you change your mind and want to
start building, just let me know.

Mojca

* Re: Unsupported Platform
@ 2011-06-14 10:48 ` Stappers
From: Stappers @ 2011-06-14 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 04:42:22PM -0700, Kip Warner wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I just downloaded the first-setup.sh to a machine running GNU. In
> executing it, I got an error message that self suggested it be reported
> to the mailing list.
>
> $ ./first-setup.sh --extra=all
> Error: your system "Linux mips64" is not supported yet.

FWIW My fulong ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fulong-MiniPC.jpg )
has a mips64 kernel runs Debian mips which is 32bits. That is
like running i386 (32bits) on modern Intel (64bits)

> Take care,
>
> PS Please cc me if you need to contact me, as I'm not on the list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solidarity

Groeten Stappers
--
> And is there a policy on top-posting vs. bottom-posting?
Yes.

* Re: Unsupported Platform
@ 2011-06-14 19:26           ` Kip Warner
From: Kip Warner @ 2011-06-14 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 09:56 +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> I would be glad to help and to build the binaries, but I'm not sure if
> it pays back to do that for zero users. The additional problem is that
> I don't know anything about compiler, compatibility of binaries
> accross different OS versions etc.

Hey Mojca. I can't really answer that question either, as I don't know.

> I will keep your offer in mind in case that a few more people request
> support for the same architecture. If you change your mind and want to
> start building, just let me know.
>
> Mojca

Sounds good Mojca. The offer is still standing if you find more people
who would like it ported as well.

--

@ 2011-08-08 20:33           ` Kip Warner
From: Kip Warner @ 2011-08-08 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 09:56 +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> I will keep your offer in mind in case that a few more people request
> support for the same architecture. If you change your mind and want to
> start building, just let me know.
>
> Mojca

Hey Mojca. Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but I've been curious
lately as to why ConTeXt isn't already natively running under mipsel.
The reason I ask is because, as I understand it, the backbone of
ConTeXt is Lua which runs everywhere?

--

@ 2011-08-08 20:53             ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-08-08 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 22:33, Kip Warner wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 09:56 +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> I will keep your offer in mind in case that a few more people request
>> support for the same architecture. If you change your mind and want to
>> start building, just let me know.
>>
>> Mojca
>
> Hey Mojca. Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but I've been curious
> lately as to why ConTeXt isn't already natively running under mipsel.
> The reason I ask is because, as I understand it, the backbone of
> ConTeXt is Lua which runs everywhere?

Lua may run everywhere in the sense that you can compile it anywhere,
but somebody still has to compile it.

For running ConTeXt you also need LuaTeX; just lua is not enough.
There are great chances that LuaTeX compilation works out of the box
on your machine, but you (or anyone else) still need to compile it.

I don't have mips64 architecture. If you want to run it, you need to
compile it yourself.

(Alternatively you could grant ssh access to somebody else to do it
instead of you.)

After that I have no problem including general support for any other
user on the same architecture, but I cannot do anything without
appropriate machine.

Setting everything up should not take more than one hour, but in case
of bugs it might take time to resolve them. Once you have everything
set up, it only takes a minute to run a script (and 10 minutes for
your computer to finish compilation + some time to upload result), but
you need to do it for every LuaTeX release without too long delays.

Mojca

* Re: Unsupported Platform
@ 2011-08-08 20:59               ` Kip Warner
From: Kip Warner @ 2011-08-08 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)