* Re: ntg-context Digest, Vol 85, Issue 4
       [not found] <mailman.1873.1309530019.4231.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2011-07-01 16:00 ` Bernd Kosubek
From: Bernd Kosubek @ 2011-07-01 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am Fri, 01 Jul 2011 16:20:19 +0200
schrieb ntg-context-request@ntg.nl:

> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 16:20:13 +0200
> From: Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net>
> 	<ntg-context@ntg.nl>
> Subject: Re: [NTG-context] changing numbers of columns
> 	delsp=yes
>
> Am 2011-07-01 um 15:31 schrieb Bernd Kosubek:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > is it possible to change the number of columns on the same page?
> >
> > small example:
> >
> > a) text text text text
> >
> > \startcolumnset[n=2]
>
> Please read http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Columns

Thanks for your quickly answer.

I have read it, but there is no answer of my question.
I know, that I can use "columns" instead of "columnset".
It is not in my interest to find other solutions for this Problem,
rather I wish to know: is it possible to use different numbers of
columns on the same page if I use columnset!

> It?s either \startcolumns[n=2] or \startcolumnset[your_name_of_setup]
>
> >  bla bla bla
> > \column
>
> \column works only within columnsets
>
> >  bla bla bla
> > \stopcolumn
>
> \startcolumns ... \stopcolumns
> XOR
> \startcolumnset ... \stopcolumnset
>

> > b) text text text text
> >
> > The mixing of a) and columnset is o.k.
> >
> > The mixing of columnset and b) wil produce a new page with b) on the
> > second page, where b) can be normal text or another columnset.
>

> That doesn?t answer your question, though... I don?t know it from
> heart and have just no time to test it myself.
>

> Greetlings from Lake Constance!
> Hraban

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: changing number of columns
@ 2011-07-01 16:32   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-07-01 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2011-07-01 um 18:00 schrieb Bernd Kosubek:

>>> is it possible to change the number of columns on the same page?
>>
>> Please read http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Columns
>
> Thanks for your quickly answer.
>
> I have read it, but there is no answer of my question.
> I know, that I can use "columns" instead of "columnset".
> It is not in my interest to find other solutions for this Problem,
> rather I wish to know: is it possible to use different numbers of
> columns on the same page if I use columnset!

It's not that easy.
Please carefully read the columns manual, linked from the above page.

If you want to change between e.g. 2 and 3 columns, you can either
define a columnset with 6 layout columns and put your text in spans of
3 or 2 of those layout columns or define two different columnsets like
in the examples in chapter "Spanning and More".

Principally you should be able to use the old columns mechanism and
change the number of columns in-page, but I don't know if you can make
it work reliably.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: changing number of columns
@ 2011-07-01 17:46     ` Bernd Kosubek
From: Bernd Kosubek @ 2011-07-01 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Fri, 1 Jul 2011 18:32:52 +0200
schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net>:

> >> Please read http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Columns
> >
> > Thanks for your quickly answer.
> >
> > I have read it, but there is no answer of my question.
> > I know, that I can use "columns" instead of "columnset".
> > It is not in my interest to find other solutions for this Problem,
> > rather I wish to know: is it possible to use different numbers of
> > columns on the same page if I use columnset!
>

> It's not that easy.
> Please carefully read the columns manual, linked from the above page.
>
> If you want to change between e.g. 2 and 3 columns, you can either
> define a columnset with 6 layout columns and put your text in spans
> of 3 or 2 of those layout columns or define two different columnsets
> like in the examples in chapter "Spanning and More".
>
> Principally you should be able to use the old columns mechanism and
> change the number of columns in-page, but I don't know if you can
> make it work reliably.
>
> Greetlings from Lake Constance!
> Hraban

Tis is a possibility, but if the following text [in my example b)] is a
huge paragraph, it is not realizeable.

I give a sample for the problem on my neglected page
"http://www.bk-tex.de/csetquest.html" [= (c)olum(set)-(quest)ion]

The text on the second page (see the pdf-file) should be placed in a
short distance to the table.

I know that this is not the best method to handle this job but it
shows good what I mean.

Greetlings from Leipzig (Lipsia)
Bernd

@ 2011-07-01 18:49       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-07-01 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2011-07-01 um 19:46 schrieb Bernd Kosubek:

> Tis is a possibility, but if the following text [in my example b)]
> is a
> huge paragraph, it is not realizeable.

Did you even try?

> I give a sample for the problem on my neglected page
> "http://www.bk-tex.de/csetquest.html" [= (c)olum(set)-(quest)ion]

You never told us that you just want to typeset two tables side by side.
In this case you might be better off with combinations: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Combinations
(It talks about images, but tables work the same.)

@ 2011-07-05 14:13       ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2011-07-05 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

As Hraban mentions it might be best to place the two tables with \placefigure + startcombination .. \stopcombination.

If you want to stick to the columnsets and this is for this single page only, then you could place the spanning text in a \framedtext.  The placefigure command must be place right after the \startcolumnset command. This you could place with \placefigure like this:

\placefigure
	[btlr]
	[]
	{none}
{\offset[y=-7cm]{\framedtext[width=\makeupwidth,offset=0pt,frame=off]
{Zwar werden ...}}}

With the offset you can move the text-box to the position you want it.

Willi

@ 2011-07-05 15:26         ` Bernd Kosubek
From: Bernd Kosubek @ 2011-07-05 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Tue, 5 Jul 2011 16:13:14 +0200
schrieb Willi Egger <w.egger@boede.nl>:

> As Hraban mentions it might be best to place the two tables with \placefigure
> + startcombination .. \stopcombination.
>
> If you want to stick to the columnsets and this is for this single page only,
> then you could place the spanning text in a \framedtext.  The placefigure
> command must be place right after the \startcolumnset command. This you could
> place with \placefigure like this:
>
> \placefigure
> 	[btlr]
> 	[]
> 	{none}
> {\offset[y=-7cm]{\framedtext[width=\makeupwidth,offset=0pt,frame=off]
> {Zwar werden ...}}}
>
> With the offset you can move the text-box to the position you want it.
>
> Willi

Hi Willy,

Hraban forces the problem in a wrong way.

I wish the eliminination of the pagebreak after "\stopcolumnset".
It is for me not of interest what contents the columns have.

I wish the following:

text text text  < flow text
text text text
xxxxxx  xxxxxx  < /startcolumnset
xxxxxx  xxxxxx
xxxxxx  xxxxxx  < /stopcolumnset
text text text  < flow text
text text text

and all of that on the same page by using "columnset".

Is it possible and if true, how is it possible.

Bernd

@ 2011-07-05 15:42           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-07-05 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.07.2011 um 17:26 schrieb Bernd Kosubek:

> Hraban forces the problem in a wrong way.
>
> I wish the eliminination of the pagebreak after "\stopcolumnset".
> It is for me not of interest what contents the columns have.
>
> I wish the following:
>
> text text text  < flow text
> text text text
> xxxxxx  xxxxxx  < /startcolumnset
> xxxxxx  xxxxxx
> xxxxxx  xxxxxx  < /stopcolumnset
> text text text  < flow text
> text text text
>
> and all of that on the same page by using "columnset".
>
> Is it possible and if true, how is it possible.

You’re trying to solve your problem the wrong.

You want according to your example two table side by side
at the complete width of the page and the natural way to
do is this is to insert a float which spans three columns,
inside the float you can then place the two tables with
a combination (or a table with two columns).

Wolfgang

* Re: changing number of columns
@ 2011-07-05 15:52           ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2011-07-05 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Unfortunately this will not work with columnsets. Those always use a complete page. So after stating \startcolumnset there is always a page break, as is after \stopcolumnset.
If you intend to place text before and after the piece where you use two colums then you should think of another solution as mentioned by placing the columnpart in a float with combination.

Willi

@ 2011-07-05 16:12             ` Bernd Kosubek
From: Bernd Kosubek @ 2011-07-05 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)