* beta
@ 2011-07-13 20:50 Hans Hagen
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-13 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I uploaded a beta:

- Project structure related files are now dealt with in lua: it's mostly
compatible but somewhat more strict (proper push and pop). In the log
file the used structure is summarized.

- All writing from lua to tex is now under control of the cld
infrastructure. This means that logging is more complete. The speed
penalty is neglectable and in some places faster.

- There are a couple of fixes related to marks.

- There are a couple of fixes (thanks to Wolfgang, who checks all
commands as part of the user interface (setups) documentation).

- In \asciimode, %% now can be used as traditional tex comment starter.
Also, modules and environments are loaded under the normal catcode regime.

- Typing gets frontstripped with the number of spaces in front of
\stoptyping so that one can have nicely formatted input like:

\startitemize
   \startitem test

   \starttyping
   test
   \stoptyping

   \stopitem
\stopitemize

- Entities in xml mode have a slightly different roundtrip treatment now
and hopefully Thomas S as well as Hans vd M files still work ok.

- Unicode math variants (supported by xits) are supported:

\mathematics {
   \utfchar{"2229} =
   \utfchar{"2229}\utfchar{"FE00} =
   \vsone{\utfchar{"2229}}
}

- Defining commands at the lua end now also handles arg only cases and
has better tracing.

- Some other other things, like \startlayout[page] ... \stoplayout and
whatever I forgot.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: beta
@ 2011-07-14  7:19 ` Hans van der Meer
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2011-07-14  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13 jul 2011, at 22:50, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded a beta:
>

> - Entities in xml mode have a slightly different roundtrip treatment now and hopefully Thomas S as well as Hans vd M files still work ok.

No, there must be some error in the new code, I guess, because xmlunprivatized is nil.

HVDM-XML        > common xml macros module $Id:: hvdm-xml.tex 112 2011-07-0##$
))
! LuaTeX error ...text/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lxml-tex.lua:535: attempt to call upvalue 'xmlunprivatized' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	...text/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lxml-tex.lua:535: in function '@tx@'
	...ers/hans/Library/texmf/tex/context/base/lxml-tab.lua:895: in function '@dc@'
	...ers/hans/Library/texmf/tex/context/base/lxml-tab.lua:933: in function 'serialize'
	...ers/hans/Library/texmf/tex/context/base/lxml-tab.lua:882: in function <...ers/hans/Library/texmf/tex/context/base/lxml-tab.lua:881>
	...ers/hans/Library/texmf/tex/context/base/lxml-tab.lua:914: in function 'xmlserialize'
	...text/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/lxml-tex.lua:639: in function 'main'
	<main ctx instance>:1: in main chunk.

system          > tex > error on line 23 in file dvd.tex: LuaTeX error  ...

13     \quittypescriptscanning
14     \stoptypescript
15     \usetypescript[typeface]\setupbodyfont[typeface,11pt]\rm
16
17     \usemodule[hvdm-dvd]	% xml conversions

\ctxlxml #1->\directlua \zerocount {lxml.#1}

\doxmlprocess ...ml:process}} {\xmlsetup {#3}{#5}}
                                                  \endgroup
l.23 ...processfile{dvd}{\DATALOCATION data.xml}{}
                                                  	% start at the dvd root node
?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: beta
@ 2011-07-14  8:13   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-14  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-7-2011 9:19, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> On 13 jul 2011, at 22:50, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I uploaded a beta:
>>

>> - Entities in xml mode have a slightly different roundtrip treatment now and hopefully Thomas S as well as Hans vd M files still work ok.
>>

> No, there must be some error in the new code, I guess, because xmlunprivatized is nil.

grepping unprivatized on the base path gives me hits that look ok

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: [beta] grid & head
@ 2011-07-14  8:49 ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2011-07-14  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

the new beta appears to modify the behaviour of long headings on
the grid. In the following example the chapter head moves up into
the page header which it did not prior to the update (cf. mkii’s
behaviour):

·································································

\setuppapersize[A5][A5]
\setuplayout[grid=verystrict]

\setupheadertexts[{Blindtext}][{\tfb\bf \pagenumber}]

\setuphead[chapter][
  style=\WORD,
  grid=yes,
]
\starttext

\chapter
 {This is supposed to mimick a rather long chapter title as is
  common in German language environments; shorter titles might not
  look as natural as longer ones}

\dorecurse{5}{\input dawkins\par}

\stoptext \endinput

·································································

Gridless it works ok. I’d just like to know whether this is to be
taken as a bug or as a feature. Thanks a lot,

Philipp

On 2011-07-13 <22:50:42>, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I uploaded a beta:
>
> - Project structure related files are now dealt with in lua: it's
> mostly compatible but somewhat more strict (proper push and pop). In
> the log file the used structure is summarized.
>
> - All writing from lua to tex is now under control of the cld
> infrastructure. This means that logging is more complete. The speed
> penalty is neglectable and in some places faster.
>
> - There are a couple of fixes related to marks.
>
> - There are a couple of fixes (thanks to Wolfgang, who checks all
> commands as part of the user interface (setups) documentation).
>
> - In \asciimode, %% now can be used as traditional tex comment
> starter. Also, modules and environments are loaded under the normal
> catcode regime.
>
> - Typing gets frontstripped with the number of spaces in front of
> \stoptyping so that one can have nicely formatted input like:
>
> \startitemize
>   \startitem test
>
>   \starttyping
>   test
>   \stoptyping
>
>   \stopitem
> \stopitemize
>
> - Entities in xml mode have a slightly different roundtrip treatment
> now and hopefully Thomas S as well as Hans vd M files still work ok.
>
> - Unicode math variants (supported by xits) are supported:
>
> \mathematics {
>   \utfchar{"2229} =
>   \utfchar{"2229}\utfchar{"FE00} =
>   \vsone{\utfchar{"2229}}
> }
>
> - Defining commands at the lua end now also handles arg only cases
> and has better tracing.
>
> - Some other other things, like \startlayout[page] ... \stoplayout
> and whatever I forgot.
>
> Hans

>     tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: [beta] grid & head
@ 2011-07-14  9:29   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-14  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-7-2011 10:49, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> the new beta appears to modify the behaviour of long headings on
> the grid. In the following example the chapter head moves up into
> the page header which it did not prior to the update (cf. mkii’s
> behaviour):

forget about mkii, we have a new and different mechanism

\setuplayout[grid=yes] \showgrid % tolerant] \showgrid

\setuppapersize[S6][S6]

\starttext

\setuphead[chapter][after=]

\definegridsnapping[MyOne]  [global,strut]
\definegridsnapping[MyTwo]  [local,strut]
\definegridsnapping[MyThree][global,strut,top:3]
\definegridsnapping[MyThree][local,strut,top:3]

\setuphead[chapter][grid=MyOne]   \startchapter[title={Global, Strut}]
              test \par test \par test \stopchapter
\setuphead[chapter][grid=MyTwo]   \startchapter[title={Local, Strut}]
              test \par test \par test \stopchapter
\setuphead[chapter][grid=MyThree] \startchapter[title={Global, Strut, 3
Top Lines}]  test \par test \par test \stopchapter
\setuphead[chapter][grid=MyFour]  \startchapter[title={Local, Strut, 3
Top Lines}]   test \par test \par test \stopchapter

\setuphead[chapter][grid=MyOne]   \startchapter[title={Global,\\Strut}]
              test \par test \par test \stopchapter
\setuphead[chapter][grid=MyTwo]   \startchapter[title={Local,\\Strut}]
              test \par test \par test \stopchapter
\setuphead[chapter][grid=MyThree] \startchapter[title={Global, Strut,\\3
Top Lines}] test \par test \par test \stopchapter
\setuphead[chapter][grid=MyFour]  \startchapter[title={Local, Strut,\\3
Top Lines}]  test \par test \par test \stopchapter

\stoptext

the question is, what are reasonable defaults (many more structural
elements will have a grid key)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: [beta] grid & head
@ 2011-07-14 12:18     ` Christian
From: Christian @ 2011-07-14 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> \definegridsnapping[MyOne]  [global,strut] \definegridsnapping[MyTwo]
> [local,strut] \definegridsnapping[MyThree][global,strut,top:3]
> \definegridsnapping[MyThree][local,strut,top:3]

Should'nt the last one be "MyFour"?

* Re: [beta] grid & head
@ 2011-07-14 14:26     ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2011-07-14 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2011-07-14 <11:29:29>, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 14-7-2011 10:49, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> >Hi Hans,
> >
> >the new beta appears to modify the behaviour of long headings on
> >the grid. In the following example the chapter head moves up into
> >the page header which it did not prior to the update (cf. mkii’s
> >behaviour):
>
> forget about mkii, we have a new and different mechanism

Ok, thanks for the info. I’ll update my layouts then. (Btw is
this new functionality described in „Layouts in Context“? I
didn’t yet receive my copy and when it arrives, unfortunately, I
won’t be able to look into it for another month :(. Just want to
know whether I’ll miss something that important during my time
away.)

Best regards, Philipp

@ 2011-07-14 14:37       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-14 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-7-2011 4:26, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> On 2011-07-14<11:29:29>, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 14-7-2011 10:49, Philipp Gesang wrote:
>>> Hi Hans,
>>>
>>> the new beta appears to modify the behaviour of long headings on
>>> the grid. In the following example the chapter head moves up into
>>> the page header which it did not prior to the update (cf. mkii’s
>>> behaviour):
>>
>> forget about mkii, we have a new and different mechanism
>
> Ok, thanks for the info. I’ll update my layouts then. (Btw is
> this new functionality described in „Layouts in Context“? I
> didn’t yet receive my copy and when it arrives, unfortunately, I
> won’t be able to look into it for another month :(. Just want to
> know whether I’ll miss something that important during my time
> away.)

yes (and for sure there will me more as the mechanism evolves)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: [beta] grid & head
@ 2011-07-14 14:42         ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2011-07-14 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2011-07-14 <16:37:55>, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 14-7-2011 4:26, Philipp Gesang wrote:

> >>forget about mkii, we have a new and different mechanism
> >
> >Ok, thanks for the info. I’ll update my layouts then. (Btw is
> >this new functionality described in „Layouts in Context“? I
> >didn’t yet receive my copy and when it arrives, unfortunately, I
> >won’t be able to look into it for another month :(. Just want to
> >know whether I’ll miss something that important during my time
> >away.)
>
> yes (and for sure there will me more as the mechanism evolves)

Hurray; now I’m already eager to get back before I leave …

Philipp

@ 2011-07-14 14:47 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2011-07-14 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/13/2011 10:50 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I uploaded a beta:
>
> - Project structure related files are now dealt with in lua: it's mostly
> compatible but somewhat more strict (proper push and pop). In the log
> file the used structure is summarized.
>
> - All writing from lua to tex is now under control of the cld
> infrastructure. This means that logging is more complete. The speed
> penalty is neglectable and in some places faster.
>
> - There are a couple of fixes related to marks.
>
> - There are a couple of fixes (thanks to Wolfgang, who checks all
> commands as part of the user interface (setups) documentation).
>
> - In \asciimode, %% now can be used as traditional tex comment starter.
> Also, modules and environments are loaded under the normal catcode regime.
>
> - Typing gets frontstripped with the number of spaces in front of
> \stoptyping so that one can have nicely formatted input like:
>
> \startitemize
> \startitem test
>
> \starttyping
> test
> \stoptyping
>
> \stopitem
> \stopitemize
>
> - Entities in xml mode have a slightly different roundtrip treatment now
> and hopefully Thomas S as well as Hans vd M files still work ok.
>
> - Unicode math variants (supported by xits) are supported:
>
> \mathematics {
> \utfchar{"2229} =
> \utfchar{"2229}\utfchar{"FE00} =
> \vsone{\utfchar{"2229}}
> }
>
> - Defining commands at the lua end now also handles arg only cases and
> has better tracing.
>
> - Some other other things, like \startlayout[page] ... \stoplayout and
> whatever I forgot.
>
> Hans

Hi Hans,

my xml files seem to run OK (I just did a few experiments). However,
there is a problem with the new project structure code. My book project
is set up like a proper ConTeXt project, and with the new version,
context has lost the ability to compile single components.

context mycomponent

will compile the entire document, and then append the single mycomponent
at the end of the document. That can't be right...

Thomas

* Re: beta
@ 2011-07-14 15:24   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-14 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-7-2011 4:47, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> will compile the entire document, and then append the single mycomponent
> at the end of the document. That can't be right...

Can you check with:

\enabletrackers[system-jobfiles]

and see what gets reported? In the past there was no real push/pop of
states, although the meaning of (say) \component depended in the current
\start*; now we're bit more restrictive. So, the question is: what is
missing.

(also see http://www.pragma-ade.com/show-mag-13.htm)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: beta
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-07-14 15:28 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-07-14 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Hans Hagen wrote:

> - Typing gets frontstripped with the number of spaces in front of \stoptyping
> so that one can have nicely formatted input like:

Great. Recently I had added a similar functionality to t-vim using the key
'trimspaces=on|off'. I'll change that to 'frontstripped' to be consistent
with the core.

Aditya

* Re: beta
@ 2011-07-14 16:07     ` Andreas Harder
From: Andreas Harder @ 2011-07-14 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 14.07.2011 um 17:24 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> (also see http://www.pragma-ade.com/show-mag-13.htm)

So it's recommended to load the \environment before the \start- \stopcomponent and \start- \stopproduct?

So far I've done it vice versa, but this changes my page break.

Greeting
	Andreas

* Re: beta
@ 2011-07-15  9:55       ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]         ` <4902C69F-949F-490B-95A4-07FBBF5F91D0@uni-koblenz.de>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-15  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-7-2011 6:07, Andreas Harder wrote:
> Am 14.07.2011 um 17:24 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> (also see http://www.pragma-ade.com/show-mag-13.htm)
>
> So it's recommended to load the \environment before the \start- \stopcomponent and \start- \stopproduct?

you can do both ... the advantage of doing it before is that when you
set the bodyfont it will avoid loading the defaults first (which is
triggered by \startcomponent, \startproduct and \starttext if no
bodyfont has been defined) which makes the run slightly faster

> So far I've done it vice versa, but this changes my page break.

then there is something wrong with your style

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: beta
       [not found]           ` <4E2025A4.7020006@wxs.nl>
@ 2011-07-15 11:43             ` Andreas Harder
From: Andreas Harder @ 2011-07-15 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.07.2011 um 13:33 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 15-7-2011 1:00, Andreas Harder wrote:
>
>> The problematic part was \setupblank[medium]. Would it be possible to make this setup work also before \start[component | prodoct | text]?
>
> Well, in that case you need to initialize the bodyfont beforehand. Normally it should sync itself so there must be some interference somewhere.

If I'm getting you right, this should work?

\startbuffer
  \setupbodyfont[modern]
  \setupblank[medium]
  \showframe
\stopbuffer

  \getbuffer % \setupblank[medium] not applied
\starttext
% \getbuffer % \setupblank[medium] applied

  \dorecurse{17}{\dorecurse{35}{test }\par\blank}
\stoptext

Andreas

* Re: beta
@ 2011-07-15 12:28               ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-07-15 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.07.2011 um 13:43 schrieb Andreas Harder:

> If I'm getting you right, this should work?
>
> \startbuffer
>  \setupbodyfont[modern]
>  \setupblank[medium]
>  \showframe
> \stopbuffer
>
>  \getbuffer % \setupblank[medium] not applied
> \starttext
> % \getbuffer % \setupblank[medium] applied
>
>  \dorecurse{17}{\dorecurse{35}{test }\par\blank}
> \stoptext

No, there are a few settings which can only be set *after* \starttext because
ConTeXt resets them at this point.

Wolfgang

* Re: beta
@ 2011-07-15 12:44                 ` Andreas Harder
From: Andreas Harder @ 2011-07-15 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 15.07.2011 um 13:43 schrieb Andreas Harder:
>
>> If I'm getting you right, this should work?
>>
>> \startbuffer
>> \setupbodyfont[modern]
>> \setupblank[medium]
>> \showframe
>> \stopbuffer
>>
>> \getbuffer % \setupblank[medium] not applied
>> \starttext
>> % \getbuffer % \setupblank[medium] applied
>>
>> \dorecurse{17}{\dorecurse{35}{test }\par\blank}
>> \stoptext
>
> No, there are a few settings which can only be set *after* \starttext because
> ConTeXt resets them at this point.

Okay, so I will stick to that. Thanks!

Andreas

* Re: beta
@ 2011-07-18 20:31   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-07-18 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> - Typing gets frontstripped with the number of spaces in front of
>> \stoptyping so that one can have nicely formatted input like:
>
> Great. Recently I had added a similar functionality to t-vim using the key
> 'trimspaces=on|off'. I'll change that to 'frontstripped' to be consistent
> with the core.

There is no option frontstripped. buff-ver does have a 'strip' option, but
looking at the corresponding lua code, I don't think that it can work:

local function filter(lines,settings)
     local strip = settings.strip
     if strip == v_yes then
         lines = realign(lines,strip)
     end
end

This means that when realign is called, strip = v_yes. But, realign
function is defined as

local function realign(lines,forced_n) -- no, auto, <number>
     forced_n = (forced_n == v_auto and huge) or tonumber(forced_n)
     if forced_n then
     end
     return lines
end

Since, forced_n is always true when realign is called, the original lines
are not changed.

Hans, did you mean

   if not (strip == v_no) then

in the filter function?

Aditya

* Re: beta
@ 2011-07-19  8:56     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-07-19  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-7-2011 10:31, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2011, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>>> - Typing gets frontstripped with the number of spaces in front of
>>> \stoptyping so that one can have nicely formatted input like:
>>
>> Great. Recently I had added a similar functionality to t-vim using the
>> key 'trimspaces=on|off'. I'll change that to 'frontstripped' to be
>> consistent with the core.
>
> There is no option frontstripped. buff-ver does have a 'strip' option,
> but looking at the corresponding lua code, I don't think that it can work:
>
> local function filter(lines,settings)
> local strip = settings.strip
> if strip == v_yes then
> lines = realign(lines,strip)
> end
> end
>
> This means that when realign is called, strip = v_yes. But, realign
> function is defined as
>

> local function realign(lines,forced_n) -- no, auto, <number>
> forced_n = (forced_n == v_auto and huge) or tonumber(forced_n)
> if forced_n then
> end
> return lines
> end
>
> Since, forced_n is always true when realign is called, the original
> lines are not changed.
>
> Hans, did you mean
>
> if not (strip == v_no) then
>
> in the filter function?

I cleaned up that bit. So now we have:

\starttext

test (automatic based on spaces before \stop...):

     \starttyping
     test test
          test test
     test test