* How to typeset ellipsis (=three dots)?
@ 2011-08-06 21:39 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2011-08-06 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I looked into the \dots macro: I can see how it works in math mode, but
in text mode it puts a thin space (\,) after the dots.  So what is the
right way to type, say, this sentence:

"I like ConTeXt... but the learning curve is steep!"

A. I like \CONTEXT\dots but the learning curve is steep!

or

B. I like \CONTEXT\dots\ but the learning curve is steep!

?

Regards,

--
Marcin Borkowski

* Re: How to typeset ellipsis (=three dots)?
@ 2011-08-07  6:07 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-08-07  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 06.08.2011 um 23:39 schrieb Marcin Borkowski:

> Hi,
>
> I looked into the \dots macro: I can see how it works in math mode, but
> in text mode it puts a thin space (\,) after the dots.  So what is the
> right way to type, say, this sentence:
>
> "I like ConTeXt... but the learning curve is steep!"
>
> A. I like \CONTEXT\dots but the learning curve is steep!
>
> or
>
> B. I like \CONTEXT\dots\ but the learning curve is steep!
>
> ?

“\CONTEXT\unknown” or “\CONTEXT …”

Wolfgang

* Re: How to typeset ellipsis (=three dots)?
@ 2011-08-07  9:35 ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2011-08-07  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 06.08.2011 um 23:39 schrieb Marcin Borkowski:

> Hi,
>
> I looked into the \dots macro: I can see how it works in math mode, but
> in text mode it puts a thin space (\,) after the dots.  So what is the
> right way to type, say, this sentence:
>
> "I like ConTeXt... but the learning curve is steep!"
>
> A. I like \CONTEXT\dots but the learning curve is steep!
>
> or
>
> B. I like \CONTEXT\dots\ but the learning curve is steep!

What about this?

I like \CONTEXT{\dots} but the learning curve is steep!

Steffen

* Re: How to typeset ellipsis (=three dots)?
@ 2011-08-20 18:57   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2011-08-20 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dnia 2011-08-07, o godz. 08:07:24
Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> napisał(a):

> Am 06.08.2011 um 23:39 schrieb Marcin Borkowski:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I looked into the \dots macro: I can see how it works in math mode,
> > but in text mode it puts a thin space (\,) after the dots.  So what
> > is the right way to type, say, this sentence:
> >
> > "I like ConTeXt... but the learning curve is steep!"
> >
> > A. I like \CONTEXT\dots but the learning curve is steep!
> >
> > or
> >
> > B. I like \CONTEXT\dots\ but the learning curve is steep!
> >
> > ?
>
> “\CONTEXT\unknown” or “\CONTEXT …”
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks!

Do I get it correctly that \unknown yields three characters (dots) in
the resulting pdf and … one (if it's available in the font, at least)?

Regards,

From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2011-08-20 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dnia 2011-08-07, o godz. 11:35:39
Steffen Wolfrum <context@st.estfiles.de> napisał(a):

> Am 06.08.2011 um 23:39 schrieb Marcin Borkowski:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I looked into the \dots macro: I can see how it works in math mode,
> > but in text mode it puts a thin space (\,) after the dots.  So what
> > is the right way to type, say, this sentence:
> >
> > "I like ConTeXt... but the learning curve is steep!"
> >
> > A. I like \CONTEXT\dots but the learning curve is steep!
> >
> > or
> >
> > B. I like \CONTEXT\dots\ but the learning curve is steep!
>

> What about this?
>
> I like \CONTEXT{\dots} but the learning curve is steep!

This I consider equivalent to "\dots\ " (at least in this, well,
context;)).

--

@ 2011-08-21  8:20     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-08-21  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 20.08.2011 um 20:57 schrieb Marcin Borkowski:

> Do I get it correctly that \unknown yields three characters (dots) in
> the resulting pdf and … one (if it's available in the font, at least)?

Yes, \unknown are three periods which are separated by a small space
and … is one character. Sometimes \unknown can give a better look and
it can be necessary when you use a Type1 font which lacks …

Wolfgang