* R2L footnotes
@ 2011-08-06 20:05 Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2011-08-06 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

There are two issues with right-to-left fontnotes, 1) the footnote
number gets somewhere in the middle of the footnote text instead of
being in the right margin 2) the footnote rule is left aligned:

\setupalign[r2l]
\starttext
Text\footnote{Note}
\stoptext

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Egyptian

* Re: R2L footnotes
@ 2011-08-08 14:57 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-08-08 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 06.08.2011 um 22:05 schrieb Khaled Hosny:

> There are two issues with right-to-left fontnotes, 1) the footnote
> number gets somewhere in the middle of the footnote text instead of
> being in the right margin 2) the footnote rule is left aligned:
>
> \setupalign[r2l]
> \starttext
> Text\footnote{Note}
> \stoptext

strc-not.mkiv:

\def\letcurrentnoterulecommand{\expandafter\let\csname\??vn\c!rule:c:\currentnote\endcsname}
+\def\letcurrentnoterulealign  {\expandafter\let\csname\??vn\c!rule:a:\currentnote\endcsname}

\appendtoks
    \letvalue{\??vn\c!rule:c:\currentnote}\currentnoterulecommandnormal
    \letvalue{\??vn\c!rule:a:\currentnote}\lefttoright
\to \everysetupnote

\appendtoks
- \processallactionsinset[\noteparameter\c!rule]
+ \normalexpanded{\noexpand\processallactionsinset[\noteparameter\c!rule]}
    [     \v!on=>\letcurrentnoterulecommand\currentnoterulecommandnormal,
      \v!normal=>\letcurrentnoterulecommand\currentnoterulecommandnormal,
-       \v!left=>\letcurrentnoterulecommand\lefttoright,
-      \v!right=>\letcurrentnoterulecommand\righttoleft,
+       \v!left=>\letcurrentnoterulealign  \lefttoright,
+      \v!right=>\letcurrentnoterulealign  \righttoleft,
         \v!off=>\letcurrentnoterulecommand\relax,
     \s!default=>\letcurrentnoterulecommand\relax,
     \s!unknown=>\letcurrentnoterulecommand\currentnoterulecommandunknown]%
\to \everysetupnote

Example:

\setupalign[r2l]
\setupnote[footnote][rule={on,right}]
\setupnotedefinition[footnote][location=left,command={\smash[w]}] % !!!
\starttext \showframe
Text\footnote{Note}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: R2L footnotes
@ 2011-08-08 16:06   ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2011-08-08 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 04:57:19PM +0200, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 06.08.2011 um 22:05 schrieb Khaled Hosny:
>
> > There are two issues with right-to-left fontnotes, 1) the footnote
> > number gets somewhere in the middle of the footnote text instead of
> > being in the right margin 2) the footnote rule is left aligned:
> >
> > \setupalign[r2l]
> > \starttext
> > Text\footnote{Note}
> > \stoptext
>
> strc-not.mkiv:
>
> \def\letcurrentnoterulecommand{\expandafter\let\csname\??vn\c!rule:c:\currentnote\endcsname}
> +\def\letcurrentnoterulealign  {\expandafter\let\csname\??vn\c!rule:a:\currentnote\endcsname}
>
> \appendtoks
>     \letvalue{\??vn\c!rule:c:\currentnote}\currentnoterulecommandnormal
>     \letvalue{\??vn\c!rule:a:\currentnote}\lefttoright
> \to \everysetupnote
>
> \appendtoks
> - \processallactionsinset[\noteparameter\c!rule]
> + \normalexpanded{\noexpand\processallactionsinset[\noteparameter\c!rule]}
>     [     \v!on=>\letcurrentnoterulecommand\currentnoterulecommandnormal,
>       \v!normal=>\letcurrentnoterulecommand\currentnoterulecommandnormal,
> -       \v!left=>\letcurrentnoterulecommand\lefttoright,
> -      \v!right=>\letcurrentnoterulecommand\righttoleft,
> +       \v!left=>\letcurrentnoterulealign  \lefttoright,
> +      \v!right=>\letcurrentnoterulealign  \righttoleft,
>          \v!off=>\letcurrentnoterulecommand\relax,
>      \s!default=>\letcurrentnoterulecommand\relax,
>      \s!unknown=>\letcurrentnoterulecommand\currentnoterulecommandunknown]%
> \to \everysetupnote
>
> Example:
>
> \setupalign[r2l]
> \setupnote[footnote][rule={on,right}]
> \setupnotedefinition[footnote][location=left,command={\smash[w]}] % !!!
> \starttext \showframe
> Text\footnote{Note}
> \stoptext

Thanks Wolfgang!

I understand that the patch fixes rule=right (that I tried earlier and
didn't work), but I don't understand what \setupnotedefinition is doing
(I'm trying to incorporate this in my bidi module so I need to have some
understanding of what is happening)

To Hans, besides applying this patch, shouldn't "rule=right" be the
default in r2l mode?

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Egyptian

* Re: R2L footnotes
@ 2011-08-08 16:44     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-08-08 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 08.08.2011 um 18:06 schrieb Khaled Hosny:

> I understand that the patch fixes rule=right (that I tried earlier and
> didn't work), but I don't understand what \setupnotedefinition is doing
> (I'm trying to incorporate this in my bidi module so I need to have some
> understanding of what is happening)

There is a bug with the placement of margin content in RTL mode:

\setupalign    [r2l]
\setuppapersize[A4][A2,landscape]
\setuplayout   [location=middle]

\starttext \showframe
\inmargin{Margin}text\par
\inleft    {Left}text\par
\inright  {Right}text\par
\stoptext

With my setup i place the number at the begin of the text and hide it’s
width which results in the output you can see.

Wolfgang

* Re: R2L footnotes
@ 2011-08-08 21:58   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-08-08 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-8-2011 4:57, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> \def\letcurrentnoterulecommand{\expandafter\let\csname\??vn\c!rule:c:\currentnote\endcsname}
> +\def\letcurrentnoterulealign  {\expandafter\let\csname\??vn\c!rule:a:\currentnote\endcsname}

etc ... added

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: R2L footnotes
@ 2011-08-08 21:59     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-08-08 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-8-2011 6:06, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> I understand that the patch fixes rule=right (that I tried earlier and
> didn't work), but I don't understand what \setupnotedefinition is doing
> (I'm trying to incorporate this in my bidi module so I need to have some
> understanding of what is happening)

it does a lot (and at some point definitions etc will become r2l aware
as part of a larger directional scheme)

> To Hans, besides applying this patch, shouldn't "rule=right" be the
> default in r2l mode?

not in a local r2l mode but in an upcoming document direction mode

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: R2L footnotes
@ 2011-08-08 22:02       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-08-08 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-8-2011 6:44, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 08.08.2011 um 18:06 schrieb Khaled Hosny:
>
>> I understand that the patch fixes rule=right (that I tried earlier and
>> didn't work), but I don't understand what \setupnotedefinition is doing
>> (I'm trying to incorporate this in my bidi module so I need to have some
>> understanding of what is happening)
>
> There is a bug with the placement of margin content in RTL mode:

sure, as it was not looked into yet (to some extend I want to wait till
lines in a par are l/rskip consistent which is on the agenda for luatex
for later this year (taco and I already discussed this a while ago)
which makes such things cleaner to deal with in mixed modes

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: R2L footnotes
@ 2011-08-08 23:51       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-08-08 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-8-2011 6:44, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> There is a bug with the placement of margin content in RTL mode:
>
> \setupalign    [r2l]
> \setuppapersize[A4][A2,landscape]
> \setuplayout   [location=middle]
>
> \starttext \showframe
> \inmargin{Margin}text\par
> \inleft    {Left}text\par
> \inright  {Right}text\par
> \stoptext
>
> With my setup i place the number at the begin of the text and hide it’s
> width which results in the output you can see.

experimental fix in next beta

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: R2L footnotes
@ 2011-08-23 20:58         ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2011-08-23 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 01:51:44AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 8-8-2011 6:44, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
> >There is a bug with the placement of margin content in RTL mode:
> >
> >\setupalign    [r2l]
> >\setuppapersize[A4][A2,landscape]
> >\setuplayout   [location=middle]
> >
> >\starttext \showframe
> >\inmargin{Margin}text\par
> >\inleft    {Left}text\par
> >\inright  {Right}text\par
> >\stoptext
> >
> >With my setup i place the number at the begin of the text and hide it’s
> >width which results in the output you can see.
>
> experimental fix in next beta

The margin stuff seems to work fine now, but the footnote number is not
shown at all:

 \setupalign[r2l]
 \setupnote[footnote][rule=right]
%\setupnotedefinition[footnote][location=inright]
 \starttext \showframe
 Text\footnote{Note}
 \stoptext

Using location=inright shows the number on the right side though a bit
outside the right margin.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Egyptian

* Re: R2L footnotes
@ 2011-08-24  4:19           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-08-24  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.08.2011 um 22:58 schrieb Khaled Hosny:

> On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 01:51:44AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 8-8-2011 6:44, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>
>>> There is a bug with the placement of margin content in RTL mode:
>>>
>>> \setupalign    [r2l]
>>> \setuppapersize[A4][A2,landscape]
>>> \setuplayout   [location=middle]
>>>
>>> \starttext \showframe
>>> \inmargin{Margin}text\par
>>> \inleft    {Left}text\par
>>> \inright  {Right}text\par
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> With my setup i place the number at the begin of the text and hide it’s
>>> width which results in the output you can see.
>>
>> experimental fix in next beta
>
> The margin stuff seems to work fine now, but the footnote number is not
> shown at all:
>
> \setupalign[r2l]
> \setupnote[footnote][rule=right]
> %\setupnotedefinition[footnote][location=inright]

\setupnotedefinition[footnote][location=rightmargin]

Wolfgang

* Re: R2L footnotes
@ 2011-08-24  4:29             ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2011-08-24  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 06:19:13AM +0200, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 23.08.2011 um 22:58 schrieb Khaled Hosny:

> >> experimental fix in next beta
> >
> > The margin stuff seems to work fine now, but the footnote number is not
> > shown at all:
> >
> > \setupalign[r2l]
> > \setupnote[footnote][rule=right]
> > %\setupnotedefinition[footnote][location=inright]
>
> \setupnotedefinition[footnote][location=rightmargin]

Makes no visible difference here, but I'm not even sure what is the
correct result is so I can live with what I have. I just think it is a
bug to not have a footnote number by default when \setupalign[r2l] is
set.

Regards,
 Khaled

--