* New STIX font version
@ 2011-10-07 13:53 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2011-10-07 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

you might be interested in hearing that there is a new there is a new
version of the STIX fonts (since 1h ago) - or rather a beta version:
1.1.0-beta1. See:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/stixfonts/files/STIXv1.1.0-beta1.zip/download

"The beta period will remain open until December 1, 2011." - Thus, one
has still 5 months time to comment on the bugs. (Or are that two moths?
With STIX ETA one never knows ...)

As reminder: STIX fonts
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STIX_Fonts_project) are a large collection
of Times-like math fonts, created by several publishing houses in a
rather slow process. A year ago, 1.0 was relased and now with 1.1b1 is
finally released. Seemingly, one can now use it directly such that one
does not need the XITS fonts anymore. (Cf. http://typophile.com/node/71171)

 From the release notes:

"What is new in this release?
The original Version 1.0 STIX was packaged as 29 distinct font files.
Version 1.1.0-­‐beta1 provides the same set of
glyphs packaged as a set of 4 text fonts and 1 symbol font. This new
packaging will facilitate the use of the font on more
desktop applications, and will specifically allow the symbol font to be
used in recent versions of the Microsoft Word Equation Editor."

"In addition, an update was made to address compatibility issues between
the font set and the Windows PostScript driver."

Besides those changes, some a (very) few glyphs have been added and some
smaller changes have been done.

Tobias

* Re: New STIX font version
@ 2011-10-07 17:24 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-10-07 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7-10-2011 15:53, Tobias Burnus wrote:

> you might be interested in hearing that there is a new there is a new
> version of the STIX fonts (since 1h ago) - or rather a beta version:
> 1.1.0-beta1. See:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/stixfonts/files/STIXv1.1.0-beta1.zip/download
>

> "The beta period will remain open until December 1, 2011." - Thus, one
> has still 5 months time to comment on the bugs. (Or are that two moths?
> With STIX ETA one never knows ...)
>
> As reminder: STIX fonts
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STIX_Fonts_project) are a large collection
> of Times-like math fonts, created by several publishing houses in a
> rather slow process. A year ago, 1.0 was relased and now with 1.1b1 is
> finally released. Seemingly, one can now use it directly such that one
> does not need the XITS fonts anymore. (Cf. http://typophile.com/node/71171)

well, my impression is that stix does not care too much about tex and
aims at msword so I'd rather stick to xits (which has some interesting
extras anyway) .. i wonder if they ever consulted Khaled or any of the
gyre font folks or engine developers or ...

>  From the release notes:
>
> "What is new in this release?
> The original Version 1.0 STIX was packaged as 29 distinct font files.
> Version 1.1.0-­‐beta1 provides the same set of
> glyphs packaged as a set of 4 text fonts and 1 symbol font. This new
> packaging will facilitate the use of the font on more
> desktop applications, and will specifically allow the symbol font to be
> used in recent versions of the Microsoft Word Equation Editor."

'symbol font' .. an interesting way to refer to a math font

> "In addition, an update was made to address compatibility issues between
> the font set and the Windows PostScript driver."

hm

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: New STIX font version
@ 2011-10-07 17:24 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-10-07 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7-10-2011 15:53, Tobias Burnus wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> you might be interested in hearing that there is a new there is a new
> version of the STIX fonts (since 1h ago) - or rather a beta version:
> 1.1.0-beta1. See:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/stixfonts/files/STIXv1.1.0-beta1.zip/download
>

> "The beta period will remain open until December 1, 2011." - Thus, one
> has still 5 months time to comment on the bugs. (Or are that two moths?
> With STIX ETA one never knows ...)
>
> As reminder: STIX fonts
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STIX_Fonts_project) are a large collection
> of Times-like math fonts, created by several publishing houses in a
> rather slow process. A year ago, 1.0 was relased and now with 1.1b1 is
> finally released. Seemingly, one can now use it directly such that one
> does not need the XITS fonts anymore. (Cf. http://typophile.com/node/71171)
>
>  From the release notes:
>
> "What is new in this release?
> The original Version 1.0 STIX was packaged as 29 distinct font files.
> Version 1.1.0-­‐beta1 provides the same set of
> glyphs packaged as a set of 4 text fonts and 1 symbol font. This new
> packaging will facilitate the use of the font on more
> desktop applications, and will specifically allow the symbol font to be
> used in recent versions of the Microsoft Word Equation Editor."
>
> "In addition, an update was made to address compatibility issues between
> the font set and the Windows PostScript driver."
>
> Besides those changes, some a (very) few glyphs have been added and some
> smaller changes have been done.

For the bored ...

\starttypescript [math] [stix] [name]
     \definefontsynonym[MathRoman][file:stixmath-regular.otf]
[features=math]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [stix] [name]
     \setups[font:fallback:serif]
     \definefontsynonym[Serif]          [file:stix-regular.otf]
[features=default]
     \definefontsynonym[SerifBold]      [file:stix-bold.otf]
[features=default]
     \definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]    [file:stix-italic.otf]
[features=default]

\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic][file:stix-bolditalic.otf][features=default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[stix]
     \definetypeface [stix] [rm] [serif] [stix] [default]
     \definetypeface [stix] [mm] [math]  [stix] [default]
\stoptypescript

\usemodule[mat-12]
\setmathfontlistbodyfonts{cambria,modern,xits,stix}
\starttext
%   \setupbodyfont[xits,12pt] \showmathfontcharacters
     \setupbodyfont[stix,12pt] \showmathfontcharacters
\stoptext

or

\setuplayout
   [backspace=1cm,
    topspace=1cm,
    header=1cm,
    footer=1cm,
    width=middle,
    height=middle]

\usemodule[mat-11]
\starttext
     \setupbodyfont[stix,12pt]
     \showmathfontcharacters
\stoptext

or:

\usemodule[fnt-33]
\starttext
     \setupbodyfont[stix]
     \ShowMathAlphabetCoverage
     \ShowMathCharacterCoverage
\stoptext

or (quite different extra glyph lists, see private area):

\setupbodyfont[modern]
\usemodule[fnt-31]
\startluacode
     fonts.tracers.coverage {
         "cambria.ttc(Cambria Math)",
         "xits-math.otf",
         "stixmath-regular.otf",
         "lmmath-regular",
     }
\stopluacode

so Khaled might be tempted to add the few new shapes to xits

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: New STIX font version
@ 2011-10-07 17:53   ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2011-10-07 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 07:24:19PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >"In addition, an update was made to address compatibility issues between
> >the font set and the Windows PostScript driver."
>
> hm

Was some faulty OS/2 (the font table not the other thing) code pages
setting that affects printing from MS Worf, fixed in XITS last April.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Egyptian

* Re: New STIX font version
@ 2011-10-07 17:56   ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2011-10-07 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 07:24:24PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> so Khaled might be tempted to add the few new shapes to xits

I'm working on an update already, at least to get glyph fixes in.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Egyptian

* Re: New STIX font version
@ 2011-10-07 18:14     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-10-07 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7-10-2011 19:56, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 07:24:24PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> so Khaled might be tempted to add the few new shapes to xits
>
> I'm working on an update already, at least to get glyph fixes in.

don't forget to add a feature: 'stix' => 'xits' (ss10 contextual
alternate or so) so that users can swap in xits and have their preamble
right:

"this document is typeset using the stix=>xits fonts"

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: New STIX font version
@ 2011-10-07 19:33       ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2011-10-07 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 08:14:34PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 7-10-2011 19:56, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> >On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 07:24:24PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >>so Khaled might be tempted to add the few new shapes to xits
> >
> >I'm working on an update already, at least to get glyph fixes in.
>
> don't forget to add a feature: 'stix' => 'xits' (ss10 contextual
> alternate or so) so that users can swap in xits and have their
> preamble right:
>
> "this document is typeset using the stix=>xits fonts"

Haha, I like that :D

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Egyptian

* Re: New STIX font version
@ 2011-10-08 15:19     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-10-08 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 07.10.2011 um 19:56 schrieb Khaled Hosny:

> On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 07:24:24PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> so Khaled might be tempted to add the few new shapes to xits
>
> I'm working on an update already, at least to get glyph fixes in.

Do you plan to convert more math fonts (e.g. mathdesign) into the opentype format?

Wolfgang

* Re: New STIX font version
@ 2011-10-08 15:34       ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2011-10-08 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 05:19:30PM +0200, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 07.10.2011 um 19:56 schrieb Khaled Hosny:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 07:24:24PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >> so Khaled might be tempted to add the few new shapes to xits
> >
> > I'm working on an update already, at least to get glyph fixes in.
>
> Do you plan to convert more math fonts (e.g. mathdesign) into the opentype format?

I do, but I've a rather long TODO list (last month a ticked off an item
that sat on top of it for the last 4 years :p).

I'm interested in a Charter math companion, but mathdesign is under GPL
which can be problematic if one wants to borrow glyphs from one of the
increasing number of fonts licensed under OFL.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny