* Galleries with photos from ConTeXt meetings: any ideas?
@ 2011-10-25 17:36 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-10-25 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

we currently have two old galleries on contextgarden.net (both hidden,
no links to them and both password protected). We have additional
galleries on Facebook (accessible to a rather wide audience). And
dozens of other photos that have never been uploaded anywhere. And
some galleries spread all over the place.

I have a few questions:
- Should photos from meetings be private or public? (The ones from
BachoTeX are public for example.)
- In either case I need suggestions about the best option to store
photos on new server. (Which software to run?)

Mojca

* Re: Galleries with photos from ConTeXt meetings: any ideas?
@ 2011-10-26 18:47 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-10-26 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2011-10-25 um 19:36 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

> I have a few questions:
> - Should photos from meetings be private or public? (The ones from
> BachoTeX are public for example.)

It’s a privacy issue. I’d suggest "public with unguessable URL", like
Picasaweb albums, plus limited period.
So you can share it with all participants without password, but avoid
searchable public display of people who don’t like it.
Additionally I’d suggest to keep a few selected pics on a really
public site (like news), where every pictured person gave their "model
release".

> - In either case I need suggestions about the best option to store
> photos on new server. (Which software to run?)

Oh, there are a lot of good album applications - depends on your
desired workflow.
E.g. if you’ve full access to a web server, you could use jAlbum
(album-only app) or your photo management app (iPhoto, Picasa, ...) to
generate HTML.
Or you use a service like Picasaweb (don’t know if Flickr knows semi-
public albums).
Or you use an album module of some CMS.
Or you install a standalone album webapp (then chose a PHP or Ruby or
Python or whatever based one...)

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Galleries with photos from ConTeXt meetings: any ideas?
@ 2011-10-26 19:05 ` Pontus Lurcock
From: Pontus Lurcock @ 2011-10-26 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue 25 Oct 2011, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> - In either case I need suggestions about the best option to store
> photos on new server. (Which software to run?)

I've been using Gallery ( http://gallery.menalto.com/ ) to host my
personal photos for years, and I've found it user-friendly, stable,
well-documented, and very flexible -- I haven't tried version 3 yet
but I haven't read anything negative about it.

As ever, Wikipedia has a useful checklist:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photo_gallery_comparison

Hope this helps,

Pont

* Re: Galleries with photos from ConTeXt meetings: any ideas?
@ 2011-10-26 21:11   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-10-26 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 20:47, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> E.g. if you’ve full access to a web server

We do.

> you could use jAlbum (album-only app)

Thank you. I have not dealt with gallery software for ages, so this is
the first time that I hear about it.

> or your photo management app (iPhoto, Picasa, ...) to generate HTML.
> Or you use a service like Picasaweb (don’t know if Flickr knows semi-public
> albums).

I don't want Facebook to handle photos. And I'm not particularly fond
of Picassa and Flickr either. That is for people who don't want to pay
for their own server & care about maintainance to share just a few
nice photos.

iPhoto and Picasa are somewhat limited with OS and the person
uploading photos. I would prefer a web-based solution, so that a few
people can easily upload photos without having to care about their OS
and other technical details.

> Or you use an album module of some CMS.
> Or you install a standalone album webapp (then chose a PHP or Ruby or Python
> or whatever based one...)

I mostly asked because I bet that there are many people who tested
many solutions and know why one solution is worse than the other.

Requirements that come to my mind:
- ability to make protected albums (probably a strict requirement)
- ability to easily download a bunch of photos (it is not a strict
requirement, but I would like to let participants download photos in
full resolution without having to right-click hundred times)
- nice user interface for end user (pretty important)
- not too difficult to upload photos (less important since it only has
to be done once)
- ability to export in some way if we decide to change gallery
software at some point (not strict requirement)
- ability to manage permissions (to let just a few people upload photos)
- not too commercial/limiting licence (I don't care if it is
commercial software as long as it doesn't require me to pay a lot of
money if more than three people browse through album)

@ 2011-10-27  7:12     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-10-27  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2011-10-26 um 23:11 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

>> you could use jAlbum (album-only app)
> Thank you. I have not dealt with gallery software for ages, so this is
> the first time that I hear about it.

It’s nice, provides lots of templates and is generally very
customizable (even if you often lose your settings with a new release,
since the templates change), but single-user.
see jalbum.net

> iPhoto and Picasa are somewhat limited with OS and the person
> uploading photos.

Of course; single-user, too.

>> Or you use an album module of some CMS.
>> Or you install a standalone album webapp (then chose a PHP or Ruby
>> or Python
>> or whatever based one...)
>
> I mostly asked because I bet that there are many people who tested
> many solutions and know why one solution is worse than the other.

I guess Menalto gallery would be a good choice, never used it myself,
but when I worked with Zikula CMS, its Menalto integration was the
most popular gallery module (I used a simpler one that was better
integrated into the CMS, because I merely needed a media manager for
article pictures).

Comparing with Menalto’s list of features:

> Requirements that come to my mind:most popular
> - ability to make protected albums (probably a strict requirement)

permissions ✓

> - ability to easily download a bunch of photos (it is not a strict
> requirement, but I would like to let participants download photos in
> full resolution without having to right-click hundred times)

plugin "DownloadAlbum" ✓

> - nice user interface for end user (pretty important)

main feature ;) ✓

> - not too difficult to upload photos (less important since it only has
> to be done once)

main feature, via Flash ✓

> - ability to export in some way if we decide to change gallery
> software at some point (not strict requirement)

no function, just files in a directory ✗

> - ability to manage permissions (to let just a few people upload
> photos)

several users ✓

> - not too commercial/limiting licence (I don't care if it is
> commercial software as long as it doesn't require me to pay a lot of
> money if more than three people browse through album)

GPL ✓