From: Susan Dittmar <Susan.Dittmar@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Not wanted hidden spaces when you compress fonts
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 12:23:10 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear Jan,

> when I turn off the compression [extend=0.8]  -> [extend=1]
> the problems are gone :-) ... the compression unfourtunately
> also :-(
> What do I have to configure to get the compression without
> spaces? :-)

I guess you will need a new font, or a new version of the same font with
compression. I am sure there are tools out there that can do the
compression of a font.

As far as I understand, TeX itself knows nothing about the glyphs. They are
just some boxes for the TeX engine. It does not handle the glyphs itself --
TeX just places them. So the only way TeX has to compress fonts is to push
the glyphs closer together -- thus introducing these 'spaces' (in fact,
they are negative spaces, places where TeX interrupts words to push the
glyphs closer together).

In very special cases you might be able to use postscript's (or pdf's)
transformation engine to archieve condensed fonts. I once used that by
creating a minipage with 'normal' font within a picture environment that
itself then did the transformation. But I guess that's not what you really
are after.

Hope that helps,

	Susan