* Scaling of math glyphs
@ 2012-01-28 18:16 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-01-28 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

In my opinion, the size of the \sum in Cambria in display style is too
large. I know that this is a design decision on part of Cambria designers,
but I am wondering if I can scale the glyph down.

I made a local copy of cambria-math.lfg and changed
FixDisplayOperatorMinHeight to

local function FixDisplayOperatorMinHeight(value,target,original)
     table.print(target)
     local o = original.mathparameters.DisplayOperatorMinHeight
     if o < 2240 then
         return 2240.0 * target.parameters.factor
     else
         return 0.8 * value -- already scaled
     end
end

This works, but as expected, it scales down both \sum and \int. Is it
possible to just change the height of \sum?

Thanks,
Aditya

* Re: Scaling of math glyphs
@ 2012-01-28 18:24 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2012-01-28 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 01:16:18PM -0500, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my opinion, the size of the \sum in Cambria in display style is
> too large. I know that this is a design decision on part of Cambria
> designers, but I am wondering if I can scale the glyph down.
>
> I made a local copy of cambria-math.lfg and changed
> FixDisplayOperatorMinHeight to
>
> local function FixDisplayOperatorMinHeight(value,target,original)
>     table.print(target)
>     local o = original.mathparameters.DisplayOperatorMinHeight
>     if o < 2240 then
>         return 2240.0 * target.parameters.factor
>     else
>         return 0.8 * value -- already scaled
>     end
> end
>
> This works, but as expected, it scales down both \sum and \int. Is
> it possible to just change the height of \sum?

AFAIK, no, this parameter affects all display big operators, however you
can control it from TeX end using ‘\Umathoperatorsize’ primitive, so may
be you can use some TeX grouping hackary to limit its effect.

Regards,
 Khaled