* [***SPAM***] How to remove white space?
@ 2012-02-14 19:25 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2012-02-14 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt users

Hello,

Here you see some white space at the left and the right of ".COM":
\ss \framed[offset=overlay]{.COM}

How can I remove this space in the right, correct, natural, smart,
elegant, ConTeXtish manner?

I have a workaround, but I find it a bit ugly:

\starttext
\ss \framed[offset=overlay]{\kern-0.07em.COM\kern-0.07em}
\stoptext

TIA for any hints!
--
           Peter

* Re: [***SPAM***] How to remove white space?
@ 2012-02-14 19:31 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-02-14 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 14.02.2012 um 20:25 schrieb Peter Münster:

> Hello,
>
> Here you see some white space at the left and the right of ".COM":
> \ss \framed[offset=overlay]{.COM}

This space is part of the font.

\setupbodyfont[sans]

\starttext

\dontleavehmode
\ruledhbox{.}%
\ruledhbox{C}%
\ruledhbox{O}%
\ruledhbox{M}

\framed[offset=overlay]{.COM}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: [***SPAM***] How to remove white space?
@ 2012-02-14 19:46   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2012-02-14 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 14 2012, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> This space is part of the font.

Yes, that's what I've guessed too.

The question was more, if there was a method to say:
"Dear TeX-engine, give me please the letter `M' but without its natural
kerning on the right side."

I thought, that all this information was inside the font: width of the
glyph, left kerning, right kerning, and so on. It seems, that I was
wrong...

--

@ 2012-02-14 20:09     ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2012-02-14 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 08:46:34PM +0100, Peter Münster wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14 2012, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
> > This space is part of the font.
>
> Yes, that's what I've guessed too.
>
> The question was more, if there was a method to say:
> "Dear TeX-engine, give me please the letter `M' but without its natural
> kerning on the right side."
>
> I thought, that all this information was inside the font: width of the
> glyph, left kerning, right kerning, and so on. It seems, that I was
> wrong...

That would be the side bearings which is not readily accessible (not to
TeX at least).

Regards,
 Khaled