* how to write two or three single hyphens?
@ 2012-05-31  9:16 Jan Pohanka
From: Jan Pohanka @ 2012-05-31  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

describing linux file permissions I would like to write rwx------
As I expected the hyphens are converted to two long dashes (excuse me if I
missed the correct name), so I tried something like this
rwx{-}{-}{-}{-}{-}{-} or rwx{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}- which works in latex, but
in context I'm still getting the long dashes. How can I prevent this
conversion, please?

regards
Jan

--
Tato zpráva byla vytvořena převratnou poštovní aplikací Opery:
http://www.opera.com/mail/

* Re: how to write two or three single hyphens?
@ 2012-05-31  9:28 ` Andy Thomas
From: Andy Thomas @ 2012-05-31  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

is this what you are looking for?

\starttext
rwx\,-\,-\,-\,-\,-\,-
\stoptext

I tried the small space macro from LaTeX and it works here, too, so i suspect it is more a TeX macro.

Andy

@ 2012-05-31  9:31 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-05-31  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 31.05.2012 um 11:16 schrieb Jan Pohanka:

> Hello,
>
> describing linux file permissions I would like to write rwx------
> As I expected the hyphens are converted to two long dashes (excuse me if I missed the correct name), so I tried something like this rwx{-}{-}{-}{-}{-}{-} or rwx{}-{}-{}-{}-{}-{}- which works in latex, but in context I'm still getting the long dashes. How can I prevent this conversion, please?

\definehighlight[filepermission][style=\setff{none}]

\starttext

Verbatim: \type{rwx------}

Highlight: \filepermission{rwx------}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: how to write two or three single hyphens?
@ 2012-05-31  9:46   ` Jan Pohanka
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Jan Pohanka @ 2012-05-31  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> \definehighlight[filepermission][style=\setff{none}]

Great, thank you. Anyway what is the purpose of the \setff macro? I have
not found its documentation anywhere. Also why the latex way -{}- does not
work? It is a feature of luatex?

best regards
Jan

--

@ 2012-05-31 10:04     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-05-31 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-5-2012 11:46, Jan Pohanka wrote:
>> \definehighlight[filepermission][style=\setff{none}]
>>

> Great, thank you. Anyway what is the purpose of the \setff macro? I have
> not found its documentation anywhere. Also why the latex way -{}- does
> not work? It is a feature of luatex?

-{}- is a side effect of traditional tex

and sort of a hack too

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-05-31 10:19     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-05-31 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 31.05.2012 um 11:46 schrieb Jan Pohanka:

>> \definehighlight[filepermission][style=\setff{none}]
>
> Great, thank you. Anyway what is the purpose of the \setff macro?

In MkIV you have tell which features of a font (e.g. ligatures or kerning) have to enabled, this is done in two steps.

1. You define a list with the features you want, e.g.

     \definefontfeature[myfeatures][liga=yes,kern=yes]

   which activates ligatures and kerning.

2. You apply this list to a font, normally this is done in the typescripts, e.g.

     \definetypeface[mainface][rm][serif][palatino][default][features=myfeatures]

Sometimes it is necessary to add additional features or to switch a different feature list *in* the document. To do this context provides the commands \addfontfeature and \setfontfeature which can be also called in the two shorter commands \addff and \setff. In the \definehighlight command I enabled the predefined “none” list where ligatures and kerning is disabled to prevent that -- results in –.

Wolfgang

* Re: how to write two or three single hyphens?
@ 2012-05-31 10:32       ` Jan Pohanka
From: Jan Pohanka @ 2012-05-31 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

best regards
Jan

Dne Thu, 31 May 2012 12:19:38 +0200 Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> napsal(a):

<výřez>

@ 2012-05-31 12:59     ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2012-05-31 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 11:46:32AM +0200, Jan Pohanka wrote:
> Also why the latex way -{}- does not work? It is a feature of luatex?

{} breaking ligatures is “an accidental feature¹” in traditional TeX
that LuaTeX got rid of.

Regards,
 Khaled

¹ https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!msg/comp.lang.perl/Egohpu5chYU/RDyzhPPmgFUJ