* epub
@ 2012-06-07 16:04 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-06-07 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I couldn't resist ... firefox has a nice 3d view of a page and this is
how the context garden looks like. A nice tests for epubs.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

[-- Attachment #2: wiki.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 154288 bytes --]

* Re: epub
@ 2012-06-08  4:19 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2012-06-08  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 06:04:39PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I couldn't resist ... firefox has a nice 3d view of a page and this
> is how the context garden looks like. A nice tests for epubs.

Now, we want that in ConTeXt ;)

Regards,
 Khaled

* Re: epub
@ 2012-02-20 18:25                         ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2012-02-20 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 01:45:17PM -0400, George N. White III wrote:

> > Medical students hate formulae. They will be happy if I can't include them.
> > Jörg
>
> Not sure that makes better doctors.

I don't recall ever seeing any math formulae during my 7 years in
medical school :) (that it not saying I'm a good doctor, I'm not)

Regards,
 Khaled

* Re: epub
@ 2012-02-20 17:45                       ` George N. White III
From: George N. White III @ 2012-02-20 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch> wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2012, at 12:44 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>>> the alternative is to use html tags and of course there is a limited set which in turn means all kind of 'class' attributes and additional css which might as well not be supported by an ereader device .. the same is true for math ... not supported by most ereaders so one ends up with fake math via css which looks horrible etc etc
>
> Medical students hate formulae. They will be happy if I can't include them.
> Jörg

Not sure that makes better doctors.

It is sad that using maths in documents still requires extra work from
authors and limits choice of formats.   Given the difficulties with
using proper maths notation, authors too often throw a whack of words
into an attempt to express a concept that could be more accurately
conveyed by a simple equation.

I suppose it is time to start collecting examples of epub docs with
maths and filing bugs against readers that don't handle them properly.

--
George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

* Re: epub
@ 2012-02-18  9:50                             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-02-18  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-2-2012 09:35, luigi scarso wrote:

>> http://code.google.com/p/sigil/
>> has a checker, and it shows some errors. Last time
> sorry...
> http://code.google.com/p/sigil/
> has a checker, and it shows some errors. Last time I was quite busy to
> fix ids and something else, but it was before the epub 3.0
> which claims to support mathml. I'm still studying the xhtml back end,
> I hope in the meanwhile that a good epub 3.0 checker appears .

I agree that we should wait for 3.0 indeed. To me older standards look
more like reversed engineered application xml i.e. wrap device specific
mess into angle brackets.

I remember that when we played with it a while ago, there was no real
common set of id/file references that worked for all devices (of course
this is why there are those converters and I even wonder if the industry
wants real compatibility ... users wanting to view content on multiple
devices is not what is promoted now that hard- and software get locked
into each other).

(I don't have a recent epub device anyway and will only buy one when it
meets my specs.)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: epub
@ 2012-02-18  8:35                           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-02-18  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2012-02-18  8:31                         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-02-18  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 18-2-2012 08:17, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> I would really prefer to use only html tags when a epub file is produced,
>> now the files can be only viewed without problems in firefox (with the
>> epubreader extension) which is nonsense. With the epub 3 standard also
>> mathml is supported and when a reader is used which doesn’t understand it
>> that’s no problem because the standard is AFAIK backward compatible and
>> unknown functions are just ignored.
>

> In that case some postprocessing has to be applied to as it makes no sense
> to add tons of code to context to produce a less rich output (also a pain to
> do and it will never be ok). We would end up with ugly kludges like misusing
> <h1> for whatever we like combined with classes that make it titles, section
> numbers, inline highlighting, etc ...
>
> The export is not so much html but xhtml and afaik css can deal with that. I
> woudn't be surprised if future ebook devices could do the same as what
> firefox/chrome do. Also keep in mind that the (now xml) export can be
> converted while some html/class/span/div hybrid would be painful to
> postprocess. Going from rich encoding to poor encoding (rendering) is easier
> than the reverse. I can imagine that we provide a couple of mappings from
> export xml to whatever html.
http://code.google.com/p/sigil/
has a checker, and it shows some errors. Last time

> Hans

>                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
>              Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>    tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

luigi

* Re: epub
@ 2012-02-18  8:25                       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-02-18  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18-2-2012 08:17, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> I would really prefer to use only html tags when a epub file is produced, now the files can be only viewed without problems in firefox (with the epubreader extension) which is nonsense. With the epub 3 standard also mathml is supported and when a reader is used which doesn’t understand it that’s no problem because the standard is AFAIK backward compatible and unknown functions are just ignored.

In that case some postprocessing has to be applied to as it makes no
sense to add tons of code to context to produce a less rich output (also
a pain to do and it will never be ok). We would end up with ugly kludges
like misusing <h1> for whatever we like combined with classes that make
it titles, section numbers, inline highlighting, etc ...

The export is not so much html but xhtml and afaik css can deal with
that. I woudn't be surprised if future ebook devices could do the same
as what firefox/chrome do. Also keep in mind that the (now xml) export
can be converted while some html/class/span/div hybrid would be painful
to postprocess. Going from rich encoding to poor encoding (rendering) is
easier than the reverse. I can imagine that we provide a couple of
mappings from export xml to whatever html.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: epub
@ 2012-02-18  7:17                     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-02-18  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.02.2012 um 12:44 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 17-2-2012 10:42, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>>> It's no big deal to add a remapper although I'd do the renaming  on the final xml tree. After all, with a proper css any xml file should render ok and I'd rather stick to generic tagging.
>>
>> The html files do render in a browser but the epub files can’t be read on a ereader what makes the function useless for me. Changing the tags from “paragraph” to “p”, adding body tags and using a different namespace declaration let me produce a usable file but should this really be necessary?
>
> the alternative is to use html tags and of course there is a limited set which in turn means all kind of 'class' attributes and additional css which might as well not be supported by an ereader device .. the same is true for math ... not supported by most ereaders so one ends up with fake math via css which looks horrible etc etc

I would really prefer to use only html tags when a epub file is produced, now the files can be only viewed without problems in firefox (with the epubreader extension) which is nonsense. With the epub 3 standard also mathml is supported and when a reader is used which doesn’t understand it that’s no problem because the standard is AFAIK backward compatible and unknown functions are just ignored.

Wolfgang

* Re: epub
@ 2012-02-17 13:57                     ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2012-02-17 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2012-02-17 11:44                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-02-17 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17-2-2012 10:42, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 16.02.2012 um 22:53 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> On 16-2-2012 20:38, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>
>>> I do agree if the export tags were configurable. Something similar to
>>> multi-lingual interface, but for output rather than input.
>>
>> It's no big deal to add a remapper although I'd do the renaming  on the final xml tree. After all, with a proper css any xml file should render ok and I'd rather stick to generic tagging.
>
> The html files do render in a browser but the epub files can’t be read on a ereader what makes the function useless for me. Changing the tags from “paragraph” to “p”, adding body tags and using a different namespace declaration let me produce a usable file but should this really be necessary?

the alternative is to use html tags and of course there is a limited set
which in turn means all kind of 'class' attributes and additional css
which might as well not be supported by an ereader device .. the same is
true for math ... not supported by most ereaders so one ends up with
fake math via css which looks horrible etc etc

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: epub
@ 2012-02-17 11:40               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-02-17 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17-2-2012 11:17, Jörg Hagmann wrote:
> I did use the stylesheets I found in texmf-context/tex/context/base. But it doesn't make any difference on an ereader (or in Calibre; there the file shows correctly in the side-panel, just as it does in a browser, but not when you open it for reading).
>
> I would like to offer students a format they can read on all kinds of electronic devices (= an epub file), but if I interpret the discussion correctly, this can not (yet?) been done without much hassle in context.

it's more that the epub spec is somewhat messy and that each device /
program comes with its own tweaks (there is some info on the wiki about
this) ... mostly file / id related mess

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: epub
@ 2012-02-17 10:23               ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-02-17 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch> wrote:
> I did use the stylesheets I found in texmf-context/tex/context/base. But it
> doesn't make any difference on an ereader (or in Calibre; there the file
> shows correctly in the side-panel, just as it does in a browser, but not
> when you open it for reading).
For calibre just cut and paste  export-example.css into User Stylesheets

--
luigi

* Re: epub
@ 2012-02-17 10:17             ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2012-02-17 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 17, 2012, at 11:04 AM, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch> wrote:
>> This discussion was continued privately (my mistake). A summary:
>>
>> Thanks for the file, Luigi -- getting closer. Two problems left:
>>
>> 1. I was using Calibre. Maybe I simply don't know how to use that programme. Whereas a free epub book downloaded from the net opens as it should, the files generated by myself and by you just show the unformatted text. With Firefox it works.
> Copy and paste the css stylesheet shows the text in a more decent way,
> but still the images are missing --- probably the url(<image>) is wrong.
>

> --
> luigi

Prof. Jörg Hagmann-Zanolari MD
University of Basel
Department of Biomedicine
Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics
Mattenstrasse 28
CH-4058 Basel
Switzerland
Phone +41 (0)61 267 3565

* Re: epub
@ 2012-02-17 10:04           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-02-17 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2012-02-17  9:42                 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-02-17  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2012-02-16 21:53               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-02-16 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16-2-2012 20:38, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> I do agree if the export tags were configurable. Something similar to
> multi-lingual interface, but for output rather than input.

It's no big deal to add a remapper although I'd do the renaming  on the
final xml tree. After all, with a proper css any xml file should render
ok and I'd rather stick to generic tagging.

local x = xml.convert(str)

local remap = {
     aditya   = 'wolfgang',
     wolfgang = 'aditya',
}

print(xml.tostring(x))

for e in xml.collected(x,"*") do
     e.tg = remap[e.tg] or e.tg
end

print(xml.tostring(x))

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: epub
@ 2012-02-16 20:08               ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-02-16 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16.02.2012 um 20:38 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2012, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>

>> Am 16.02.2012 um 16:19 schrieb Jörg Hagmann:
>>
>>> This discussion was continued privately (my mistake). A summary:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the file, Luigi -- getting closer. Two problems left:
>>>
>>> 1. I was using Calibre. Maybe I simply don't know how to use that programme. Whereas a free epub book downloaded from the net opens as it should, the files generated by myself and by you just show the unformatted text. With Firefox it works.
>>>
>>> 2. In Firefox: My version lacks the images; in fact, the figures showing up in the OPS directory after the mtxrun have zero KB. But it is ok for me to copy them there manually.
>>
>> Isn’t the problem with context pub’s the format of the xhtml file, when I compile this example:
>>
>> \setupbackend[export=yes,xhtml=yes]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \startparagraph
>> The Earth, as a habitat for animal life, is in old age and
>> has a fatal illness. Several, in fact. It would be happening
>> whether humans had ever evolved or not. But our presence is
>> like the effect of an old|-|age patient who smokes many packs
>> of cigarettes per day – and we humans are the cigarettes.
>> \stopparagraph
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> I get a xhtml file with the following content (I removed the comments):
>>
>> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
>>
>> <document xmlns:m="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML" version="0.30" language="en" date="Thu Feb 16 20:00:31 2012" file="test" context="2012.02.16 17:54" xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
>> <paragraph>The Earth, as a habitat for animal life, is in old age and has a fatal illness. Several, in fact. It would be happening whether humans had ever evolved or not. But our presence is like the effect of an old-age patient who smokes many packs of cigarettes per day – and we humans are the cigarettes.</paragraph>
>> </document>
>>
>> but the produced epub file doesn’t work on my ereader. After I changed the tags of the file to this:
>
> You also need to add the appropriate css file (there is an example css file in $TEXMF/tex/context/base IIRC). Any epub reader that understands xml+css will be able to read the file.

I know the example file but I forgot to add it.

>> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>

>> I got now a epub file which renders on my ereader without problems.
>
> I do agree if the export tags were configurable. Something similar to multi-lingual interface, but for output rather than input.

You mean like labeltexts :)

Wolfgang

* Re: epub
@ 2012-02-16 19:38             ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-02-16 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 16.02.2012 um 16:19 schrieb Jörg Hagmann:
>
>> This discussion was continued privately (my mistake). A summary:
>>
>> Thanks for the file, Luigi -- getting closer. Two problems left:
>>
>> 1. I was using Calibre. Maybe I simply don't know how to use that programme. Whereas a free epub book downloaded from the net opens as it should, the files generated by myself and by you just show the unformatted text. With Firefox it works.
>>
>> 2. In Firefox: My version lacks the images; in fact, the figures showing up in the OPS directory after the mtxrun have zero KB. But it is ok for me to copy them there manually.
>
> Isn’t the problem with context pub’s the format of the xhtml file, when I compile this example:
>
> \setupbackend[export=yes,xhtml=yes]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startparagraph
> The Earth, as a habitat for animal life, is in old age and
> has a fatal illness. Several, in fact. It would be happening
> whether humans had ever evolved or not. But our presence is
> like the effect of an old|-|age patient who smokes many packs
> of cigarettes per day – and we humans are the cigarettes.
> \stopparagraph
>
> \stoptext
>
> I get a xhtml file with the following content (I removed the comments):
>
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
>
> <document xmlns:m="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML" version="0.30" language="en" date="Thu Feb 16 20:00:31 2012" file="test" context="2012.02.16 17:54" xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
>  <paragraph>The Earth, as a habitat for animal life, is in old age and has a fatal illness. Several, in fact. It would be happening whether humans had ever evolved or not. But our presence is like the effect of an old-age patient who smokes many packs of cigarettes per day – and we humans are the cigarettes.</paragraph>
> </document>
>
> but the produced epub file doesn’t work on my ereader. After I changed the tags of the file to this:

You also need to add the appropriate css file (there is an example css
file in $TEXMF/tex/context/base IIRC). Any epub reader that understands
xml+css will be able to read the file.

> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>

> I got now a epub file which renders on my ereader without problems.

I do agree if the export tags were configurable. Something similar to
multi-lingual interface, but for output rather than input.

Aditya

* Re: epub
@ 2012-02-16 19:04           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-02-16 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2012-02-16 15:19         ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2012-02-16 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

This discussion was continued privately (my mistake). A summary:

Thanks for the file, Luigi -- getting closer. Two problems left:

1. I was using Calibre. Maybe I simply don't know how to use that programme. Whereas a free epub book downloaded from the net opens as it should, the files generated by myself and by you just show the unformatted text. With Firefox it works.

2. In Firefox: My version lacks the images; in fact, the figures showing up in the OPS directory after the mtxrun have zero KB. But it is ok for me to copy them there manually.

Hraban: Thanks for the tip.

Jörg

-----------------------

yes here too. I've just installed calibre, I don't know it very well.
Maybe is possible to check the book too,
just to see if there are errors.

--
luigi

* Re: epub
@ 2012-02-16 14:07     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2012-02-16 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16. Februar 2012 14:07 schrieb Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch>:
> Thanks, Luigi.
> Is it not possible to run "mtxrun --script epub --make export-example" and
> then zip the files by
>
> zip -X Filename.epub mimetype
> zip -rg Filename.epub META-INF -x \*.DS_Store
> zip -rg Filename.epub OPS -x \*.DS_Store
>
> If 7z is the only way, I give up. I already spent about 30 minutes trying to
> find a mac version.

MacPorts contains p7zip, but it used also to work with the Info-Zip
(/usr/bin/zip) that comes with OSX, AFAIR.

Greetlings, Hraban

* Re: epub
@ 2012-02-16 13:30       ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2012-02-16 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I see. Could you send me your export-example.epub file?
Thanks a lot, Jörg

On Feb 16, 2012, at 2:17 PM, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch> wrote:
>> Thanks, Luigi.
>> Is it not possible to run "mtxrun --script epub --make export-example" and
>> then zip the files by
>>
>> zip -X Filename.epub mimetype
>> zip -rg Filename.epub META-INF -x \*.DS_Store
>> zip -rg Filename.epub OPS -x \*.DS_Store
> This also works  for me (under linux)
> zip -r export-example.epub META-INF/ OPS/ mimetype
>

> --
> luigi

* Re: epub
@ 2012-02-16 13:17     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-02-16 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2012-02-16 13:07   ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2012-02-16 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Luigi.
Is it not possible to run "mtxrun --script epub --make export-example" and then zip the files by

zip -X Filename.epub mimetype
zip -rg Filename.epub META-INF -x \*.DS_Store
zip -rg Filename.epub OPS -x \*.DS_Store

If 7z is the only way, I give up. I already spent about 30 minutes trying to find a mac version.

Ciao, Jörg

On Feb 16, 2012, at 12:13 PM, luigi scarso wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch> wrote:
>> I would like to prepare some student material in epub format and tried the
>> "export-example.tex" as follows:
>>
>> - context export-example (by the way, gives an error with the latest beta,
>> not with 2011.12.19 22:53,  but produces the output; shouldn't matter here).
>> - mtxrun --script epub --make export-example (tells me "sh: 7z: command not
>> found", but produces an epub file. Zipping manually doesn't make a
>> difference).
>>
>> In Calibre, only the text appears -- no paragraphs or anything else. The
>> same happens when I try a minimal example with just paragraphs, bold, italic
>> and sections.
>>
>> Most likely I misunderstood something, or is epub support still too
>> preliminary (see http://wiki.contextgarden.net/epub)?
>>
>> I'm using current version: 2012.02.16 09:55 on a Mac (Lion).
>>
>> Thanks, Jörg
>
> Comment
> %\starttabulate[|l|r|p|]
> %\NC left \NC right \NC \input ward \NC \NR
> %\NC l    \NC r     \NC \input ward \NC \NR
> %\stoptabulate
>
> and be sure to have all the images in the same folder, to have 7z and
> inkscape --- otherwise comment
>
> %\placefigure
> %  {}
> %  {\externalfigure[cow.pdf]}
>

> I've just made the epub, if you want I can send you.
>
> --
> luigi

* Re: epub
@ 2012-02-16 11:13 ` luigi scarso