* Bibliography, unicode strings, @ELECTRONIC, sorting and bibtex
@ 2012-09-18 10:28 Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2012-09-18 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: context

Hi,

I have some questions regarding the bibliography.

1)
The style files bibl-ams.tex, bibl-ssa.tex, etc contain strings like
``, ~. This does not make sense to me. The `` ends up like that in
the output and the tilde might interfere with the \asciimode
setting. Wouldn't it be better to use the proper Unicode glyphs
(U+201C, U+00A0, etc.) nowadays? I assume the files are old MkII
files and not being updated since. Example:

\setupbibtex       [database=sample]
\setuppublications [alternative=ssa]
\starttext
  \cite[hh2010a]
  \cite[Eijkhout1991]
  \cite[hh2010]
  \placepublications [criterium=cite]
\stoptext

2)
The @ELECTRONIC type does not work (already mentioned in the wiki).
It does not show up in the references list. I guess no one bothered
adding them and it's up to me to add the corresponding entries.

Maybe someone has already prepared a working file for the APA style?

3)
How to sort the bibliography by author? According to the bib manual
I expected this to work:

\setupbibtex       [database=sample]
\setuppublications [alternative=apa, criterium=cite, sort=author]
\starttext
  \cite[hh2010a]
  \cite[Eijkhout1991]
  \placepublications
\stoptext

4)
\completepublications produces an empty page. Is that intended?

\setupbibtex       [database=sample]
\setuppublications [alternative=ssa, criterium=cite]
\starttext
 \cite[hh2010a]
 \completepublications
\stoptext

5) (side question)
What is BibTeX used for in ConTeXt? As far as I can see, it reads
the .bib database and generates a .bbl file which then is read in by
ConTeXt. Why do we need an external tool for this? Why does ConTeXt
not read in the .bib database and directly save it as a Lua table?

Marco