* xits font: some spacing and scaling problems
@ 2012-09-27 14:58 Andreas Mang
From: Andreas Mang @ 2012-09-27 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

Not quite sure if this is the right place. I wanted to send this directly to Khaled Hosny, but then I thought it might be good to have some additional opinion on some of these issues (I am not quite sure if some of this is intended behaviour).

I have collected some examples for which I think there are some scaling and spacing problems in xits.

Also, small caps are not supported. Is this intended?!

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Andreas

%%%%%%%%%%%% MINIMAL EXAMPLE %%%%%%%%%%%%
\setupbodyfont[xits,11pt]

\starttext
$\diamond$ % too small?!

$\square$ % OK?!

$\blacktriangleright$ % too big?!

$\blacktriangleleft$ % too big?!

$\blacktriangle$ % too big?!

$\blacktriangledown$ % too big?!

{\sc Word} % not supported ?!

$\tilde{W}^i$ $W^i$ % using a superscript in case
                    % an accent is used results in
                    % a too small distance between letter
                    % and superscript

$f^i$ % distance too small (seems to be just the case for $f$, see e.g. $h^i$ $t^i$)
\stoptext
%%%%%%%%%%%% MINIMAL EXAMPLE %%%%%%%%%%%%

* Re: xits font: some spacing and scaling problems
@ 2012-09-27 16:53 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2012-09-27 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 04:58:11PM +0200, Andreas Mang wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Not quite sure if this is the right place. I wanted to send this
> directly to Khaled Hosny, but then I thought it might be good to have
> some additional opinion on some of these issues (I am not quite sure
> if some of this is intended behaviour).
>
> I have collected some examples for which I think there are some
> scaling and spacing problems in xits.
>
> Also, small caps are not supported. Is this intended?!
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Cheers,
> Andreas
>

> %%%%%%%%%%%% MINIMAL EXAMPLE %%%%%%%%%%%%
> \setupbodyfont[xits,11pt]
>
> \starttext
> $\diamond$ % too small?!
>
> $\square$ % OK?!
>
> $\blacktriangleright$ % too big?!
>
> $\blacktriangleleft$ % too big?!
>
> $\blacktriangle$ % too big?!
>
> $\blacktriangledown$ % too big?!

None of those glyphs were changed in XITS, they are exactly the same as
the ones in STIX fonts, so possibly ConTeXt is using the wrong Unicode
character for those symbols. The later two are smaller with LaTeX
package unicode-math.

> {\sc Word} % not supported ?!

Right, there is no smallcaps, probably you can use some other Times-like
font for smallcaps.

> $\tilde{W}^i$ $W^i$ % using a superscript in case
>                     % an accent is used results in
>                     % a too small distance between letter
>                     % and superscript

Looks like a ConTeXt issue, both render the same with (xe|lua)latex
(using unicode-math).

> $f^i$ % distance too small (seems to be just the case for $f$, see e.g. $h^i$ $t^i$)

Looks fine here.

Regards,
 Khaled

* Re: xits font: some spacing and scaling problems
@ 2012-09-27 17:01   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-09-27 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 04:58:11PM +0200, Andreas Mang wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Not quite sure if this is the right place. I wanted to send this
>> directly to Khaled Hosny, but then I thought it might be good to have
>> some additional opinion on some of these issues (I am not quite sure
>> if some of this is intended behaviour).
>>
>> I have collected some examples for which I think there are some
>> scaling and spacing problems in xits.
>>
>> Also, small caps are not supported. Is this intended?!
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Andreas
>>

>> %%%%%%%%%%%% MINIMAL EXAMPLE %%%%%%%%%%%%
>> \setupbodyfont[xits,11pt]
>>
>> \starttext
>> $\diamond$ % too small?!
>>
>> $\square$ % OK?!
>>
>> $\blacktriangleright$ % too big?!
>>
>> $\blacktriangleleft$ % too big?!
>>
>> $\blacktriangle$ % too big?!
>>
>> $\blacktriangledown$ % too big?!
>
> None of those glyphs were changed in XITS, they are exactly the same as
> the ones in STIX fonts, so possibly ConTeXt is using the wrong Unicode
> character for those symbols. The later two are smaller with LaTeX
> package unicode-math.

That is most likely the issue. I never really understood what all these
triangles should map to. Should we target unicode-math the reference
implmentation?

Aditya

* Re: xits font: some spacing and scaling problems
@ 2012-09-27 17:05     ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2012-09-27 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 01:01:35PM -0400, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2012, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>
> >None of those glyphs were changed in XITS, they are exactly the same as
> >the ones in STIX fonts, so possibly ConTeXt is using the wrong Unicode
> >character for those symbols. The later two are smaller with LaTeX
> >package unicode-math.
>
> That is most likely the issue. I never really understood what all
> these triangles should map to. Should we target unicode-math the
> reference implmentation?

As unicode-math table is based on BB’s STIX symbol table, I think it is
the closest we have to an authoritative Unicode → TeX csnames mapping
(incidentally, I have recent version of BB’s table, if anyone wants it).

Regards,
 Khaled

* Re: xits font: some spacing and scaling problems
@ 2012-10-02 19:31     ` Andreas Mang
From: Andreas Mang @ 2012-10-02 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

yet another one:

\setupbodyfont[xits]