* Defining a title font.
@ 2012-10-02 21:38 john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2012-10-02 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Trying to use an OTF font just for the title page.
Ran mkluatexfontdb
Used the name as defined in ../otfl-names.lua
Here is my actual code:
--------------------------

\usemodule[simplefonts]
\definefont [titlefont][MyriadPro-Bold at 50bp]
\startstandardmakeup
\titlefont
\centerline{Scribus}
\centerline {for}
\centerline{Book Covers}
\centerline{Free Publishing Software Series}
\rm
\stopstandardmakeup
--------------------------
And here are the pertinent error messages:
------------------------------
(title.tex
resolvers       > modules > loaded: 'simplefonts'
(/home/safe/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/context/third/simplefonts/t-simplefonts.mkiv
<+ /home/safe/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/context/third/simplefonts/t-simplefonts.lua>)
fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'MyriadPro-Bold' is not found using lookup 'file'
fonts           > defining > unknown font MyriadPro-Bold, loading aborted
fonts           > defining > unable to define MyriadPro-Bold as [titlefont--0]
)
Clearly I don't know what I am doing. Can someone help?
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

* Re: Defining a title font.
@ 2012-10-03  8:45 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-10-03  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 02.10.2012 um 23:38 schrieb john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com>:

> Trying to use an OTF font just for the title page.
> Ran mkluatexfontdb
> Used the name as defined in ../otfl-names.lua
> Here is my actual code:
> --------------------------
>
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> \definefont [titlefont][MyriadPro-Bold at 50bp]
> \startstandardmakeup
> \titlefont
> \centerline{Scribus}
> \centerline {for}
> \centerline{Book Covers}
> \centerline{Free Publishing Software Series}
> \rm
> \stopstandardmakeup
> --------------------------
> And here are the pertinent error messages:
> ------------------------------
> (title.tex
> resolvers       > modules > loaded: 'simplefonts'
> (/home/safe/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/context/third/simplefonts/t-simplefonts.mkiv
> <+ /home/safe/context/tex/texmf-modules/tex/context/third/simplefonts/t-simplefonts.lua>)
> fonts           > defining > font with asked name 'MyriadPro-Bold' is not found using lookup 'file'
> fonts           > defining > unknown font MyriadPro-Bold, loading aborted
> fonts           > defining > unable to define MyriadPro-Bold as [titlefont--0]
> )
> Clearly I don't know what I am doing. Can someone help?

The command “ mkluatexfontdb” creates a font database for LaTeX (or more concrete
the luaotfload package) but context has always used it’s own font database.

To update the font database for context you have to call “mtxrun --script fonts --reload”
but the script searches for system fonts only on windows and mac machines. When you’re
working on a linux system you have to set the “OSFONTDIR” variable first.

Read also this: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX#Building_the_font_database

Wolfgang

* Re: Defining a title font.
@ 2012-10-04 16:03   ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2012-10-04 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 10:45:39 +0200
Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster@gmail.com> wrote:

> The command ___ mkluatexfontdb___ creates a font database for LaTeX
> (or more concrete the luaotfload package) but context has always used
> it___s own font database.
>
> To update the font database for context you have to call ___mtxrun
> --script fonts --reload___ but the script searches for system fonts
> only on windows and mac machines. When you___re working on a linux
> system you have to set the ___OSFONTDIR___ variable first.
>
> Read also this:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX#Building_the_font_database
>
> Wolfgang

 followed the advice in the wiki but with modifications. On my
Slackware single-user system the OTF fonts are in
/usr/share/fonts/OTF
So my Context script now contains just two commands:

export OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/OTF
context $1

And the title.tex file now looks like this:

------------------------------------
\usemodule[simplefonts]
\definefont [titlefont][MyriadPro-Bold at 70bp]
\definefont [subtitle][MyriadPro-Bold at 25bp]
\startstandardmakeup
\titlefont
\centerline{Scribus}
\vskip 10pt
\subtitle
\centerline {for}
\vskip 10pt
\titlefont
\centerline{Book Covers}
\subtitle

\vfil

@ 2012-10-04 16:19     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-10-04 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.10.2012 um 18:03 schrieb john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com>:

> On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 10:45:39 +0200
> Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> The command ___ mkluatexfontdb___ creates a font database for LaTeX
>> (or more concrete the luaotfload package) but context has always used
>> it___s own font database.
>>
>> To update the font database for context you have to call ___mtxrun
>> --script fonts --reload___ but the script searches for system fonts
>> only on windows and mac machines. When you___re working on a linux
>> system you have to set the ___OSFONTDIR___ variable first.
>>
>> Read also this:
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX#Building_the_font_database
>>
>> Wolfgang
>>
> followed the advice in the wiki but with modifications. On my
> Slackware single-user system the OTF fonts are in
> /usr/share/fonts/OTF
> So my Context script now contains just two commands:
>
> export OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/OTF
> context $1
>
> And the title.tex file now looks like this:
>
> ------------------------------------
> \usemodule[simplefonts]
> \definefont [titlefont][MyriadPro-Bold at 70bp]
> \definefont [subtitle][MyriadPro-Bold at 25bp]
> \startstandardmakeup
> \titlefont
> \centerline{Scribus}
> \vskip 10pt
> \subtitle
> \centerline {for}
> \vskip 10pt
> \titlefont
> \centerline{Book Covers}
> \subtitle
>
> \vfil
> \centerline{Free Publishing Software Series}
> \vfil
> \rm
> \stopstandardmakeup

I changed your mixed code into ConTeXt code:

\definefont [titlefont] [MyriadPro-Bold*default at 70bp]
\definefont [subtitle]  [MyriadPro-Bold*default at 25bp]

\starttext

\startstandardmakeup[align=middle]

\startstyle[titlefont]
  Scribus
  \blank[10pt]
  \style[subtitle]{for}
  \blank[10pt]
  Book Covers
\stopstyle

\vfil

\style[subtitle]{Free Publishing Software Series}

\vfil

\stopstandardmakeup

\stoptext

Wolfgang