* Symbolsets, using Unicode symbols?
@ 2012-10-06  4:03 Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2012-10-06  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

I'm having one of those ConTeXt moments when I feel really stupid, but
I just cannot figure this out....

I'd need the heart symbol. You know, the one that goes on Facebook as
<3. I think it is this Unicode symbol: ♥	U+2665 BLACK HEART
SUIT	&#x2665; or &#9829; or &hearts;

I'm using the LucidaOT (Unicode) font and my Mac should have some
other of the basic symbol sets, but I just cannot figure out how to
use the above knowledge to dish out the heart. (TeX culture shock, I
think, I don't care about gazillion maths operators, I want my
Dingbats and other little decorations.)

I found the Symbols wiki page at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Symbols, but cannot figure out how to
implement it:
- the command \usesymbols[uni] gives 'symbols > unknown: library
'uni'' in the log.
- the command \showsymbolset is just as hopeless: command
\showsymbolset not found in file symb-run

So, what bit in that process have I missed or not understood? I'm
running mkIV in ConTeXt version Aug 17, 2012 in a Mac laptop. As
Unicode and all that have been around for ages, this problem must be
one of those you find between the chair and the screen!

Thank you,

Mari

* Re: Symbolsets, using Unicode symbols?
@ 2012-10-06  7:13 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-10-06  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 06.10.2012 um 06:03 schrieb Mari Voipio <mari.voipio@iki.fi>:

> Hello!
>

> I'm having one of those ConTeXt moments when I feel really stupid, but
> I just cannot figure this out....
>
> I'd need the heart symbol. You know, the one that goes on Facebook as
> <3. I think it is this Unicode symbol: ♥	U+2665 BLACK HEART
> SUIT	&#x2665; or &#9829; or &hearts;
>
> I'm using the LucidaOT (Unicode) font and my Mac should have some
> other of the basic symbol sets, but I just cannot figure out how to
> use the above knowledge to dish out the heart. (TeX culture shock, I
> think, I don't care about gazillion maths operators, I want my
> Dingbats and other little decorations.)
>
> I found the Symbols wiki page at
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Symbols, but cannot figure out how to
> implement it:
> - the command \usesymbols[uni] gives 'symbols > unknown: library
> 'uni'' in the log.
> - the command \showsymbolset is just as hopeless: command
> \showsymbolset not found in file symb-run
>

> So, what bit in that process have I missed or not understood? I'm
> running mkIV in ConTeXt version Aug 17, 2012 in a Mac laptop. As
> Unicode and all that have been around for ages, this problem must be
> one of those you find between the chair and the screen!

On a computer it’s easier to shoe these symbols because the OS uses different
font when a symbol is missing in the the default system font but this doesn’t
happen with ConTeXt.

When I checked the Lucida font for the symbol I noticed that it isn’t available
in the text font but you can use math mode where the symbol is available.

\setupbodyfont[lucidaot]

\starttext
$♥$
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Symbolsets, using Unicode symbols?
@ 2012-10-06  7:33   ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2012-10-06  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 09:13:07 +0200
Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 06.10.2012 um 06:03 schrieb Mari Voipio <mari.voipio@iki.fi>:
>
> > I'd need the heart symbol. You know, the one that goes on Facebook
> > as <3. I think it is this Unicode symbol: ♥	U+2665 BLACK
> > HEART SUIT	&#x2665; or &#9829; or &hearts;

> $♥$

How sweet!

(The heart suit in the mathematical font goes along with the diamond,
clover and spade and is very serious, intended for the mathematical
description of card games. It has been around in TeX forever and is
not just some sort of wingding frivolous shorthand. Just to explain why
one finds it in math mode.)

Alan