* Using a search engine.
@ 2012-10-14 19:19 Andre Caldas
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Andre Caldas @ 2012-10-14 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt users

Once, I've read about someone who, a long time ago, found it really
difficult to look for pages related to LaTeX on the internet. He used
to get a lot of "fetish" related pages!!!

Since "context" is a very common word, I'd like to know from ConTeXt users...
How do you look for "ConTeXt" stuff using search engines?

Cheers,
André Caldas.

* Re: Using a search engine.
@ 2012-10-14 20:42 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2012-10-14 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

2012-10-14 Andre Caldas:

> Since "context" is a very common word, I'd like to know from ConTeXt users...
> How do you look for "ConTeXt" stuff using search engines?

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/41918/how-to-search-for-information-about-context-in-search-engines

Marco

* Re: Using a search engine.
@ 2012-10-14 21:48 ` Sander Maijers
From: Sander Maijers @ 2012-10-14 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I use "ConTeXt tex NTG" instead of "context" in Google and that works relatively well. Due to the scattered nature of the documentation I also find it useful save any PDFs about ConTeXt etc. that I stumble upon in a dedicated folder. Then you can use desktop search to search inside them.

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 16:19:57 -0300
Andre Caldas <andre.em.caldas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Once, I've read about someone who, a long time ago, found it really
> difficult to look for pages related to LaTeX on the internet. He used
> to get a lot of "fetish" related pages!!!
>
> Since "context" is a very common word, I'd like to know from ConTeXt
> users... How do you look for "ConTeXt" stuff using search engines?
>

> Cheers,
> André Caldas.

* Re: Using a search engine.
@ 2012-10-15  8:15 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-10-15  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Andre Caldas wrote:
> Once, I've read about someone who, a long time ago, found it really
> difficult to look for pages related to LaTeX on the internet. He used
> to get a lot of "fetish" related pages!!!
>
> Since "context" is a very common word, I'd like to know from ConTeXt users...
> How do you look for "ConTeXt" stuff using search engines?

On http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ there is a search box with three
words below: Go, Search, Google. The last one will call google search
on several predefined tex-specific pages.

(The list of domains included in the search could be optimized. I just
remembered that SX is probably not there since it didn't exist when
the search was defined. If anyone is willing to help define the useful
pages, help will be most welcome.)

Mojca

* Re: Using a search engine.
@ 2012-10-15 10:30   ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2012-10-15 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Mojca wrote:
> On http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ there is a search box with three
> words below: Go, Search, Google. The last one will call google search
> on several predefined tex-specific pages.

Not working for me ... it just displays 'loading'.

Mojca wrote:
> The list of domains included in the search could be optimized.

I use this Google search:
<search terms>
site:contextgarden.net OR
site:tex.stackexchange.com OR
site:ntg.nl OR
site:pragma-ade.com OR
contextgarden

Shall we compile/expand this list of good sites in mail, and then fix
the context wiki's search?
`contextgarden` already catches Gmane and all the other mailing list
archive mirrors, because that string is in the list's signature.

My current search has the following search URL (%s is the search terms):
http://www.google.com/search?q=%s+(site:contextgarden.net+OR+site:tex.stackexchange.com+OR+site:ntg.nl+OR+site:pragma-ade.com+OR+contextgarden)&ie=utf-8&sa=Search&complete=0&nfpr=1

The flags &complete=0&nfpr=1 force Google not to autocorrect what you
typed. (Very annoying when 'startcolumns' is interpreted as 'start
columns'.

Cheers,
Sietse