* How to put a \placefigure with no caption?
@ 2012-10-15 21:16 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2012-10-15 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

\placefigure[here]{none}{<image>} seems to actually typeset "none" as a
caption.  What do I do if I want no caption (not even the "Figure 1"
thing, in fact)?

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: How to put a \placefigure with no caption?
@ 2012-10-15 21:19 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-10-15 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.10.2012 um 23:16 schrieb Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl>:

> Hi there,
>
> \placefigure[here]{none}{<image>} seems to actually typeset "none" as a
> caption.  What do I do if I want no caption (not even the "Figure 1"
> thing, in fact)?

\placefigure[none,…]{}{…}

Wolfgang

* Re: How to put a \placefigure with no caption?
@ 2012-10-15 21:22 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2012-10-15 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

2012-10-15 Marcin Borkowski:

Hi Marcin

> \placefigure[here]{none}{<image>} seems to actually typeset "none" as a
> caption.  What do I do if I want no caption (not even the "Figure 1"
> thing, in fact)?

\startplacefigure [location=none]
  \externalfigure [cow]
\stopplacefigure

Marco

* Re: How to put a \placefigure with no caption?
@ 2012-10-15 21:33   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2012-10-15 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dnia 2012-10-15, o godz. 23:19:06
Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> Am 15.10.2012 um 23:16 schrieb Marcin Borkowski
> <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl>:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > \placefigure[here]{none}{<image>} seems to actually typeset "none"
> > as a caption.  What do I do if I want no caption (not even the
> > "Figure 1" thing, in fact)?
>
> \placefigure[none,…]{}{…}
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks a lot!  Added a clarification to the wiki.

Best,

--

@ 2012-10-15 21:34   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2012-10-15 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dnia 2012-10-15, o godz. 23:22:28
Marco Patzer <homerow@lavabit.com> napisał(a):

> 2012-10-15 Marcin Borkowski:
>
> Hi Marcin
>
> > \placefigure[here]{none}{<image>} seems to actually typeset "none"
> > as a caption.  What do I do if I want no caption (not even the
> > "Figure 1" thing, in fact)?
>
> \startplacefigure [location=none]
>   \externalfigure [cow]
> \stopplacefigure

Interesting.  Is

\startplacefigure[location=...]
\stopplacefigure

equivalent to \placefigure[...]{}{...}?

Best,

--

@ 2012-10-15 21:47     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-10-15 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.10.2012 um 23:34 schrieb Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl>:

> Dnia 2012-10-15, o godz. 23:22:28
> Marco Patzer <homerow@lavabit.com> napisał(a):
>
>> 2012-10-15 Marcin Borkowski:
>>
>> Hi Marcin
>>
>>> \placefigure[here]{none}{<image>} seems to actually typeset "none"
>>> as a caption.  What do I do if I want no caption (not even the
>>> "Figure 1" thing, in fact)?
>>
>> \startplacefigure [location=none]
>>  \externalfigure [cow]
>> \stopplacefigure
>
> Interesting.  Is
>
> \startplacefigure[location=...]
> \stopplacefigure
>
> equivalent to \placefigure[...]{}{…}?

Yes.

==

<content>
\stopplacefigure

Wolfgang

* Re: How to put a \placefigure with no caption?
@ 2012-10-15 21:48     ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2012-10-15 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

2012-10-15 Marcin Borkowski:

> > > \placefigure[here]{none}{<image>} seems to actually typeset "none"
> > > as a caption.  What do I do if I want no caption (not even the
> > > "Figure 1" thing, in fact)?
> >
> > \startplacefigure [location=none]
> >   \externalfigure [cow]
> > \stopplacefigure
>
> Interesting.  Is
>
> \startplacefigure[location=...]
> \stopplacefigure
>
> equivalent to \placefigure[...]{}{...}?

Yes. \placefigure is the old syntax. \start…\stopplacefigure the new
one. The new one uses a the key=value syntax also present in other MkIV
commands. Compare:

    \startplacefigure [title=Lorem, reference=fig:lorem]
    …
    \stopplacefigure

    \startchapter [title=Lorem, reference=sec:lorem]
    …
    \stopchapter

They are both supported, I personally stick to the new variant. I
find the interface much more memorable.

Marco

* Re: How to put a \placefigure with no caption?
@ 2012-11-12  6:30       ` Andy Thomas
From: Andy Thomas @ 2012-11-12  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Yes. \placefigure is the old syntax. \start…\stopplacefigure the new
> one. The new one uses a the key=value syntax also present in other MkIV
> commands. Compare:
>
>    \startplacefigure [title=Lorem, reference=fig:lorem]
>    …
>    \stopplacefigure
>
>    \startchapter [title=Lorem, reference=sec:lorem]
>    …
>    \stopchapter
>
> They are both supported, I personally stick to the new variant. I
> find the interface much more memorable.

I guess, I do not understand the relation completely. Please compare the following

-- startcode --

\starttext
%
\chapter{One}
\input tufte
\placefigure[margin,none]{}{Let's put some text of at least two lines.}
\placefigure[none,margin]{}{Let's put some text of at least two lines.}
\input tufte
\stoptext

-- stopcode --

The first one works as intended, the second one does not. Also, I cannot figure out the equivalent new syntax. I tried 'caption=none' and 'location=none'. But even if the latter one would work, having a caption (or not) and placing the figure on the page are two different things?

Andy

* Re: How to put a \placefigure with no caption?
@ 2012-11-12  8:02         ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2012-11-12  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

2012-11-12 Andy Thomas:

> I guess, I do not understand the relation completely. Please
> compare the following
>
> -- startcode --
>
> \starttext
> %
> \chapter{One}
> \input tufte
> \placefigure[margin,none]{}{Let's put some text of at least two lines.}
> \placefigure[none,margin]{}{Let's put some text of at least two lines.}
> \input tufte
> \stoptext
>
> -- stopcode --
>
> The first one works as intended, the second one does not. Also, I
> cannot figure out the equivalent new syntax.

> \placefigure[margin,none]{}{Let's put some text of at least two lines.}

  \startplacefigure [location={margin, none}]
    Let's put some text of at least two lines.
  \stopplacefigure

> \placefigure[none,margin]{}{Let's put some text of at least two lines.}

  \startplacefigure [location={none, margin}]
    Let's put some text of at least two lines.
  \stopplacefigure

> I tried 'caption=none' and 'location=none'.

location=none works here:

  \startplacefigure [location=none]
    Let's put some text of at least two lines.
  \stopplacefigure

> But even if the latter one would work, having a caption (or not)
> and placing the figure on the page are two different things?

The first argument of `location` determines the location of the
figure, the second one the location of the caption. If only one
argument is provided, it is used for both. So the following
statements have the same effect.

  \startplacefigure [location={none, none}]
    Let's put some text of at least two lines.
  \stopplacefigure

  \startplacefigure [location=none]
    Let's put some text of at least two lines.
  \stopplacefigure

That's the reason why the figure in your second example is not
placed in the margin.

Marco