* images and text stacked in the margin
@ 2012-11-12 13:45 Andy Thomas
From: Andy Thomas @ 2012-11-12 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I am still struggling to achieve the page layout/look that I am trying to get. For an image of the desired page spread please look here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9089117/tufte-spread.png

The design is using the ample margin to place text (sidenotes), figures (images) and tables in the margin. I am unable to get both (images and text) to work properly.

(1) put all in a \margintext
    \margintext{...} for text
	\margintext{\placefigure...} for external images

This option does not work if the position is close to a page break (cp. http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20121111.191529.3fbef120.en.html)

(2) use two different macros
    \margintext{...} for text and
    \placefigure[location=margin]{}{...} for external images

This option does not work because they are placed on top of each other. I also tried \startplacefigure, but also no luck.

(3) put all in a \placefigure
    \placefigure[margin,none]{}{Text Text} for text
    \placefigure[margin,none]{}{...} for external images

This works best, because it starts from the top and nicely stacks the marginals. But it introduces a paragraph break where the sidenote is called. This does not work, it defeats the purpose (imagine a paragraph after every footnote).

(4) use (3) and postponing
    \startpostponing [+1]%
    \startplacefigure[location={margin,none}]%
    Text text\stopplacefigure%
    \stoppostponing%

Now, the paragraph break is gone, but the sidenote is on the next page, which does not make sense in our case (cp. http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/56388/avoid-line-break-after-macro). In general, I do not understand, where the paragraph break at the \placefigure... comes from. It does not seam necessary in most cases (e.g. location=top) and postponing does avoid it. Can I 'gobble' it somehow?

Does anyone have an idea, how to make it work for images as well as text combined?

Andy

* Re: images and text stacked in the margin
@ 2012-11-12 14:10 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2012-11-12 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

2012-11-12 Andy Thomas:

> I am still struggling to achieve the page layout/look that I am
> trying to get. For an image of the desired page spread please look
> here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9089117/tufte-spread.png

How about this:

\useMPlibrary
	[dum]

\setuplayout
	[width=10cm,
	 rightmargin=5cm]

\setupmargindata
	[inouter]
	[location=outer,
	 stack=continue]

\definefloat
	[marginfigure]
	[marginfigures]
	[figure]

\setupfloat
	[marginfigure]
	[default=margin]

\definefloat
	[margintext]
	[margintexts]

\setupfloat
	[margintext]
	[default=margin]

\setupcaption
	[margintext]
	[location=none]

\starttext

\input knuth

\startplacemarginfigure [title=Foo]
	\externalfigure [dum] [width=\rightmarginwidth]
\stopplacemarginfigure

\startplacemargintext
	\input ward
\stopplacemargintext

\input knuth

\startplacemarginfigure [title=Bar]
	\externalfigure [dum] [width=\rightmarginwidth]
\stopplacemarginfigure

\stoptext

You need to put the \placemargintext at the beginning of a
paragraph, otherwise it will cause an unwanted break.

Marco

* Re: images and text stacked in the margin
@ 2012-11-12 19:49   ` Andy Thomas
From: Andy Thomas @ 2012-11-12 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Nov 12, 2012, at 3:10 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:

> You need to put the \placemargintext at the beginning of a
> paragraph, otherwise it will cause an unwanted break.
:(

Unfortunately, this is not an option. The citations have to be referenced at the end of particular sentences. The first link (showing the spread) makes it more obvious.

Also, I tried marginblocks now, but they show the same bug as margintext if a page break occurs close by.

* Re: images and text stacked in the margin
@ 2012-11-12 21:19     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2012-11-12 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 20:49:38 +0100
Andy Thomas <andythomas@web.de> wrote:

> > You need to put the \placemargintext at the beginning of a
> > paragraph, otherwise it will cause an unwanted break.
> :(
>
> Unfortunately, this is not an option. The citations have to be
> referenced at the end of particular sentences. The first link
> (showing the spread) makes it more obvious.

One trick used with floats to avoid the unwanted break that may or may
not work here with margintext is

\startpostponing [+0]
\startplacemargintext
\stoplacemargintext