* problems with units
@ 2012-11-29 22:43 Andreas Mang
From: Andreas Mang @ 2012-11-29 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

I encountered some problems with the built in units command in MKIV. I provide a minimal example which should demonstrate my problems. Maybe I am doing something wrong...

Cheers,
Andreas

%%%%%MINIMAL EXAMPLE%%%%%

\setupbodyfont[pagella]

\starttext
% this is just my default setting - if I comment the next line I get the same behaviour
\setupunits[method=3,order=reverse,separator=small]

\unit{11,1e-1 micro mol per second} \par %no effect if I change the separator (holds also for cdot)

$\unit{11,1e-1 micro mol per second}$ \par %wrong spacing

\unit{11,1e-1 per second} \par % one over is not working (no unit displayed)

\unit{11,1e-1 / second} \par % one over not working  (no unit displayed)

\stoptext

%%%%%MINIMAL EXAMPLE%%%%%

* Re: problems with units
@ 2012-11-30 19:43 ` Romain Diss
From: Romain Diss @ 2012-11-30 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le jeudi 29 novembre 2012, Andreas Mang a écrit :
> Hi there,
>
> I encountered some problems with the built in units command in MKIV. I
> provide a minimal example which should demonstrate my problems. Maybe I am
> doing something wrong...
>
> \setupbodyfont[pagella]
> \starttext
> \unit{11,1e-1 micro mol per second} \par
> $\unit{11,1e-1 micro mol per second}$ \par
> \unit{11,1e-1 per second} \par
> \unit{11,1e-1 / second} \par
> \stoptext
Don't know for the first two, but the last two should be replaced by:
\unit{11,1e-1 inverse second}

All the best.

--
Romain Diss
<romain.diss@yahoo.fr>

* spacing: units in math
@ 2012-12-11 12:49   ` Andreas Mang
From: Andreas Mang @ 2012-12-11 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I still do have problems with a wrong spacing between number and unit in math mode (minimal example below). Clearly, I could do something like

$\alpha = $ \unit{1,2 meter}

but I think this is likely to result in problems with the look of the result in case this is close to a line break.

Cheers,
Andreas

%%%%%%%% MINIMAL EXAMPLE %%%%%%%%
\starttext
\unit{1,2 meter} % what I would expect

$\unit{1,2 meter}$ % wrong spacing

$\unit{1{,}2 meter}$ % there is no output after "1"
\stoptext
%%%%%%%% MINIMAL EXAMPLE %%%%%%%%

Am Nov 30, 2012 um 8:43 PM schrieb Romain Diss <romain.diss@yahoo.fr>:

> Le jeudi 29 novembre 2012, Andreas Mang a écrit :
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I encountered some problems with the built in units command in MKIV. I
>> provide a minimal example which should demonstrate my problems. Maybe I am
>> doing something wrong...
>>
>> \setupbodyfont[pagella]
>> \starttext
>> \unit{11,1e-1 micro mol per second} \par
>> $\unit{11,1e-1 micro mol per second}$ \par
>> \unit{11,1e-1 per second} \par
>> \unit{11,1e-1 / second} \par
>> \stoptext
> Don't know for the first two, but the last two should be replaced by:
> \unit{11,1e-1 inverse second}
>
> All the best.
>

> --
> Romain Diss
> <romain.diss@yahoo.fr>

* Re: spacing: units in math
@ 2012-12-19 18:18     ` Andreas Mang
From: Andreas Mang @ 2012-12-19 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

sorry for being such a pain in the neck.

Is there going to be a solution considering the spacing problems with the use of units (native mkiv command) in near future (within 2-3 weeks)? If there is none and I am not doing something wrong, I'll add a local work around every time I use units. As this is much work, I'd appreciate if someone told me if this is something that might be fixed soon. If not I'm good - I just need to know.

Explanation of my problem: Maybe I am doing something wrong, but in the resulting document the spacing is bigger in math mode then in the text mode in case I use \units{...}. In particular, the distance for the decimal separator is as if I would type $1,2$ instead of $1{,}2$ (example: $\units{1,2}$).

Thanks.

Cheers,
Andreas

Am Dec 11, 2012 um 1:49 PM schrieb Andreas Mang <mang@imt.uni-luebeck.de>:

> Hi,
>
> I still do have problems with a wrong spacing between number and unit in math mode (minimal example below). Clearly, I could do something like
>
> $\alpha = $ \unit{1,2 meter}
>
> but I think this is likely to result in problems with the look of the result in case this is close to a line break.
>
> Cheers,
> Andreas
>
> %%%%%%%% MINIMAL EXAMPLE %%%%%%%%
> \starttext
> \unit{1,2 meter} % what I would expect
>
> $\unit{1,2 meter}$ % wrong spacing
>
> $\unit{1{,}2 meter}$ % there is no output after "1"
> \stoptext
> %%%%%%%% MINIMAL EXAMPLE %%%%%%%%
>

> Am Nov 30, 2012 um 8:43 PM schrieb Romain Diss <romain.diss@yahoo.fr>:
>
>> Le jeudi 29 novembre 2012, Andreas Mang a écrit :
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I encountered some problems with the built in units command in MKIV. I
>>> provide a minimal example which should demonstrate my problems. Maybe I am
>>> doing something wrong...
>>>
>>> \setupbodyfont[pagella]
>>> \starttext
>>> \unit{11,1e-1 micro mol per second} \par
>>> $\unit{11,1e-1 micro mol per second}$ \par
>>> \unit{11,1e-1 per second} \par
>>> \unit{11,1e-1 / second} \par
>>> \stoptext
>> Don't know for the first two, but the last two should be replaced by:
>> \unit{11,1e-1 inverse second}
>>
>> All the best.
>>

>> --
>> Romain Diss
>> <romain.diss@yahoo.fr>

* Re: spacing: units in math
@ 2012-12-21 17:58       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-12-21 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/19/2012 7:18 PM, Andreas Mang wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> sorry for being such a pain in the neck.
>
> Is there going to be a solution considering the spacing problems with the use of units (native mkiv command) in near future (within 2-3 weeks)? If there is none and I am not doing something wrong, I'll add a local work around every time I use units. As this is much work, I'd appreciate if someone told me if this is something that might be fixed soon. If not I'm good - I just need to know.
>
> Explanation of my problem: Maybe I am doing something wrong, but in the resulting document the spacing is bigger in math mode then in the text mode in case I use \units{...}. In particular, the distance for the decimal separator is as if I would type $1,2$ instead of $1{,}2$ (example: $\units{1,2}$)..

can you try

\appendtoks
     \disablemathpunctuation
\to \everyunits

> Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
> Andreas
>
> Am Dec 11, 2012 um 1:49 PM schrieb Andreas Mang <mang@imt.uni-luebeck.de>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I still do have problems with a wrong spacing between number and unit in math mode (minimal example below). Clearly, I could do something like
>>
>> $\alpha = $ \unit{1,2 meter}
>>
>> but I think this is likely to result in problems with the look of the result in case this is close to a line break.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Andreas
>>
>> %%%%%%%% MINIMAL EXAMPLE %%%%%%%%
>> \starttext
>> \unit{1,2 meter} % what I would expect
>>
>> $\unit{1,2 meter}$ % wrong spacing
>>
>> $\unit{1{,}2 meter}$ % there is no output after "1"
>> \stoptext
>> %%%%%%%% MINIMAL EXAMPLE %%%%%%%%

>>> Don't know for the first two, but the last two should be replaced by:
>>> \unit{11,1e-1 inverse second}
>>>
>>> All the best.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Romain Diss
>>> <romain.diss@yahoo.fr>

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: spacing: units in math
@ 2012-12-21 18:36         ` Andreas Mang
From: Andreas Mang @ 2012-12-21 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Hans,

> On 12/19/2012 7:18 PM, Andreas Mang wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> sorry for being such a pain in the neck.
>>
>> Is there going to be a solution considering the spacing problems with the use of units (native mkiv command) in near future (within 2-3 weeks)? If there is none and I am not doing something wrong, I'll add a local work around every time I use units. As this is much work, I'd appreciate if someone told me if this is something that might be fixed soon. If not I'm good - I just need to know.
>>
>> Explanation of my problem: Maybe I am doing something wrong, but in the resulting document the spacing is bigger in math mode then in the text mode in case I use \units{...}. In particular, the distance for the decimal separator is as if I would type $1,2$ instead of $1{,}2$ (example: $\units{1,2}$)..
>
> can you try
>
> \appendtoks
>     \disablemathpunctuation
> \to \everyunits

Thanks for looking into this. The problem with the decimal separator is solved. You made my day with just 4 commands!

Just that you know: I still observe a tiny difference in the blank space between numbers and times symbol (\times) when comparing math mode to standard text mode (minimal example below). AFAIK this does not make a difference. If I find the time i might just put every unit stuff into math mode (for consistency reasons). So my document is ready for being published (in this respect). It just still lacks content :)

Happy holidays to all of you.

Andreas

% MINIMAL EXAMPLE

\appendtoks
\disablemathpunctuation
\to \everyunits

\starttext
\unit{1,2e3 meter}

$\unit{1,2e3 meter}$
\stoptext

% MINIMAL EXAMPLE

* Re: spacing: units in math
@ 2012-12-21 21:49           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-12-21 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/21/2012 7:36 PM, Andreas Mang wrote:

> Just that you know: I still observe a tiny difference in the blank space between numbers and times symbol (\times) when comparing math mode to standard text mode (minimal example below). AFAIK this does not make a difference. If I find the time i might just put every unit stuff into math mode (for consistency reasons). So my document is ready for being published (in this respect). It just still lacks content :)

math spacing will always be somewhat different

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE