* Arranging framed text without gaps
@ 2013-02-28 22:37 Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2013-02-28 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I am trying to create a table where the entries have determined width and height. They typically are
something like

\framed[width=5cm,height=4cm,align={center,middle}{Text}

and I understand that I will be responsible for making the dimensions so that everything fits nicely.

After playing around  without much success with the various tables, I came up with the following
which is not exactly ConTeXt-like:

\setupframed[
		width=5cm,
		height=4cm,
		location={middle},
    		align={center,middle}
	]
\setupbodyfont[24pt]

\starttext

\hbox{{\framed{Jim}}{\framed{Mary}}{\framed{John}}}
\hbox{{\framed{Patsy}}{\framed{Bob}}{\framed{Linda}}}
\hbox{{\framed{Mike}}{\framed{Babsy}}{\framed{Bill}}}
\hbox{{\framed{Liz}}{\framed{Dave}}{\framed{Jenny}}}
\hbox{{\framed{Dick}}{\framed{Sue}}{\framed{Chuck}}}
\hbox{{\framed{Maggie}}{\framed{Joe}}{\framed{Dolley}}}
\hbox{{\framed{Tom}}{\framed{Lisa}}{\framed{Chris}}}
\hbox{{\framed{Nancy}}{\framed{Paul}}{\framed{Betty}}}
\stoptext

I get small gaps between the horizontal rows which I don't like.
Also, in my (possibly not quite up to date) MkIV, the texts isn't centered.
In MkII it is.

My questions:

How do I
-- achieve the desired layout (exact dimensions, frames, no gaps) the right way,
-- without gaps between horizontal rows
-- with text centered in the frames also in MkIV?

Thanks a lot -

Matthias

* Re: Arranging framed text without gaps
@ 2013-02-28 22:56 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-02-28 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> How do I
> -- achieve the desired layout (exact dimensions, frames, no gaps) the right way,
> -- without gaps between horizontal rows

\setupframed
   [....
    overlay=none,
   ]

> -- with text centered in the frames also in MkIV?

.. align={middle,middle},

Aditya

* Re: Arranging framed text without gaps
@ 2013-02-28 22:59   ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2013-02-28 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks!

Matthias

@ 2013-02-28 23:00 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-02-28 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–02–28 Matthias Weber wrote:

> -- without gaps between horizontal rows
> -- with text centered in the frames also in MkIV?

See Adityas answer for how to fix your current code.

> -- achieve the desired layout (exact dimensions, frames, no gaps) the right way,

There is no “right” way. Here's how I would approach that:

\usemodule
  [database]

\definefont
  [MyBigFont]
  [Serif at 24pt]

\defineseparatedlist
  [MyTable]
  [before=\bTABLE, after=\eTABLE,
   first=\bTR, last=\eTR,
   left=\bTD, right=\eTD,
   setups=my:table]

\startsetups [my:table]
  \setupTABLE [split=yes, width=5cm, height=4cm, style=MyBigFont]
  \setupTABLE [each] [align={middle,lohi}]
\stopsetups

\starttext

\startMyTable
  Jim    , Mary  , John
  Patsy  , Bob   , Linda
  Mike   , Babsy , Bill
  Liz    , Dave  , Jenny
  Dick   , Sue   , Chuck
  Maggie , Joe   , Dolley
  Tom    , Lisa  , Chris
  Nancy  , Paul  , Betty
\stopMyTable

\stoptext

Marco

* Re: Arranging framed text without gaps
@ 2013-03-01  0:09   ` Matthias Weber
From: Matthias Weber @ 2013-03-01  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fascinating.
Thanks!!