* Different Horizontal Lines with Tabulate
@ 2013-03-29  9:49 Malte Stien
From: Malte Stien @ 2013-03-29  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have a table in which I have to group a number of rows together. Let's say I have a table with two columns, the first is an item ID and the second a multi-line description for that item. Say I have ten items in the table and I need to group Item 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6 and so on. Due to the description being quite lengthy in some cases, I would like to use some sort of horizontal rule between items. It seems I have to following options:

1. Using horizontal rules of two different thicknesses (eg. thicker between groups and thinner between items within the same group)
2. Using horizontal rules of two different colour (eg. black between groups and a light grey between items within the same group)
3. Using horizontal rules of different lengths (that is, full length between groups and only in the second column between items within the same group)

Are any of the above possible with tabulate? I could not find anything to achieve any of those. I am quite used to tabulate as my table framework, so I would prefer to use that. If that's not possible however, I'd be happy to use something else.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Malte.

* Re: Different Horizontal Lines with Tabulate
@ 2013-03-29 10:03 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-03-29 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 29.03.2013 um 10:49 schrieb Malte Stien <malte@stien.de>:

> Hello,
>
> I have a table in which I have to group a number of rows together. Let's say I have a table with two columns, the first is an item ID and the second a multi-line description for that item. Say I have ten items in the table and I need to group Item 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6 and so on. Due to the description being quite lengthy in some cases, I would like to use some sort of horizontal rule between items. It seems I have to following options:
>
> 1. Using horizontal rules of two different thicknesses (eg. thicker between groups and thinner between items within the same group)
> 2. Using horizontal rules of two different colour (eg. black between groups and a light grey between items within the same group)
> 3. Using horizontal rules of different lengths (that is, full length between groups and only in the second column between items within the same group)
>
> Are any of the above possible with tabulate? I could not find anything to achieve any of those. I am quite used to tabulate as my table framework, so I would prefer to use that. If that's not possible however, I'd be happy to use something else.
>
> Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Use the optional argument for \HL or \HR, the number controls the thickness of the rule, the keywords are color names.

\starttext

\starttabulate[|l|l|]
\HR[4]
\NC Cell 1 \NC Cell 2 \NC\NR
\HL[green]
\NC Cell 3 \NC Cell 4 \NC\NR
\HL[2,blue]
\stoptabulate

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Different Horizontal Lines with Tabulate
@ 2013-03-29 10:33 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-03-29 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dnia 2013-03-29, o godz. 20:49:36
Malte Stien <malte@stien.de> napisał(a):

> Are any of the above possible with tabulate? I could not find
> anything to achieve any of those. I am quite used to tabulate as my
> table framework, so I would prefer to use that. If that's not
> possible however, I'd be happy to use something else.
>
> Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Apart from the excellent (as usual) Wolfgang's answer, I have to say
that I switched to \bTABLE ... \eTABLE and (if necessary) a Lua loop.
Search the archives for a thread started by me about hiding columns in
a table, for example.

> Thank you,
> Malte.

Best,