* [wiki] fake account spam
@ 2013-04-05 13:43 Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2013-04-05 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt ML

Hi all,

I’d like to draw your attention to the wiki. The spammers appear
to know the solution to the current entry barrier “What is
usually the last command in a ConTeXt source file (without the
backslash)?”, and the number of fake accounts is growing fast:

  http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Special:Log/newusers

They don’t, however, seem to vandalize yet, so I guess the postal
code of Hasselt is unbreakable with today’s technology ;-)
Nevertheless the account spam is messing up the recent changes
feed:

  http://wiki.contextgarden.net/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&feed=rss

Even if it’s not urgent, may I suggest we collect possible
replacements for the current question? I can’t image the damage
those accounts would do once they figure out how to post links.

Best
Philipp

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: [wiki] fake account spam
@ 2013-04-05 13:59 ` Mojca Miklavec
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2013-04-05 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Philipp Gesang  wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I’d like to draw your attention to the wiki. The spammers appear
> to know the solution to the current entry barrier “What is
> usually the last command in a ConTeXt source file (without the
> backslash)?”, and the number of fake accounts is growing fast:
>
>   http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Special:Log/newusers
>
> They don’t, however, seem to vandalize yet, so I guess the postal
> code of Hasselt is unbreakable with today’s technology ;-)
> Nevertheless the account spam is messing up the recent changes
> feed:
>
>   http://wiki.contextgarden.net/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&feed=rss
>
> Even if it’s not urgent, may I suggest we collect possible
> replacements for the current question? I can’t image the damage
> those accounts would do once they figure out how to post links.

It would probably be best to:

1.) Remove all those account (attention: some users are actually
legitimate and contributed valid content).

2.) Find out if there is any problematic IP and block those IPs.

3.) Install something like
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmAccount and/or maybe
use both captcha and some context-specific question (honestly: if
users don't know how to answer some slightly more tricky question,
they shouldn't be able to get the account). We could use questions
like "Last name of president of ConTeXt User Group."

I haven't been on wiki for a while and received a warning about the
issue yesterday.

Mojca

* Re: [wiki] fake account spam
@ 2013-04-05 14:09   ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2013-04-05 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 3.) Install something like
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmAccount and/or maybe
> use both captcha and some context-specific question

  Adding an actual captcha seems like the way to go; it may not prevent
all automated account creations, but it clearly filters much better than
a static list of questions with plain-text answers.

	Arthur

* Re: [wiki] fake account spam
@ 2013-04-05 14:40   ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2013-04-05 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:59:47 +0200
Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> some context-specific question (honestly: if
> users don't know how to answer some slightly more tricky question,
> they shouldn't be able to get the account). We could use questions
> like "Last name of president of ConTeXt User Group."

Uh... ?

Why not some *really* tricky question like: "what keyword is to be used to right-justify?" :)

Alan

* Re: [wiki] fake account spam
@ 2013-04-06  1:18     ` Leo Arnold
From: Leo Arnold @ 2013-04-06  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/05/2013 04:09 PM, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>    Adding an actual captcha seems like the way to go; it may not prevent
> all automated account creations, but it clearly filters much better than
> a static list of questions with plain-text answers.

... or have them write a letter of motivation and require three letters
of recommendation from already renowned ConTeXt users ;-)

* Re: [wiki] fake account spam
@ 2013-04-06 14:53   ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2013-04-06 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

···<date: 2013-04-05, Friday>···<from: Mojca Miklavec>···

> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Philipp Gesang  wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I’d like to draw your attention to the wiki. The spammers appear
> > to know the solution to the current entry barrier “What is
> > usually the last command in a ConTeXt source file (without the
> > backslash)?”, and the number of fake accounts is growing fast:
> >
> >   http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Special:Log/newusers
> >
> > They don’t, however, seem to vandalize yet, so I guess the postal
> > code of Hasselt is unbreakable with today’s technology ;-)

I spoke too soon (or maybe those guys read the list and view this
discussion as a challenge?):

  http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Special:Contributions/TrenaLege

> > Nevertheless the account spam is messing up the recent changes
> > feed:
> >
> >   http://wiki.contextgarden.net/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&feed=rss
> >
> > Even if it’s not urgent, may I suggest we collect possible
> > replacements for the current question? I can’t image the damage
> > those accounts would do once they figure out how to post links.
>
> It would probably be best to:
>
> 1.) Remove all those account (attention: some users are actually
> legitimate and contributed valid content).
>
> 2.) Find out if there is any problematic IP and block those IPs.

Careful as their IPs could be spoofed, you might end up blocking
innocent users.

> 3.) Install something like
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmAccount and/or maybe
> use both captcha and some context-specific question (honestly: if
> users don't know how to answer some slightly more tricky question,
> they shouldn't be able to get the account). We could use questions
> like "Last name of president of ConTeXt User Group."

This could discourage people from fixing trivial stuff like
misspellings. Maybe add a note that they should drop a mail to
the list if they don’t know the answer.

Regards

@ 2013-04-25 17:31     ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2013-04-25 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

We're getting 3-12 new accounts created per day. If nothing else,
they're cluttering up the recent changes list.

I think it's a good idea to update the security questions --- it's
easy to do, it'll probably work, and we can always move on to stronger
measures that require more work. Below are some replacemetn questions.

* If you have a log of which questions get answered correctly,
perhaps only rotate out the bad question(s);
* If finding the cracked questions is nontrivial (i.e. more work than
'just open the log file and see which ones get answered every day'),
just replace them all.

If this works, hooray; if it stops working, we can either change the
questions again (if the spammers took long to get through) or move on
to e.g. the ConfirmAccount extension [1,2] (if the questions got
cracked quickly, so we are getting 'human' attention from the spammer
instead of his bots).

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmAccount
[2] http://www.stargate-wiki.de/wiki/Spezial:Benutzerkonto_beantragen

Cheers,
Sietse

The proposed questions:

* What command indicates 'text starts here'? (Include the backslash.)
  \starttext

* What command is used to setup the bodyfont? (Include the backslash.)
  \setupbodyfont

* What is the last name (starts with K) of the man who created TeX?
  Knuth

* What is the first name (7 letters, starts with H) of Mr Zapf?
  Hermann

* How many letters does 'stoptext' contain? (Please type out the
number as a word.)
  Eight

* Re: [wiki] fake account spam
@ 2013-04-25 17:46       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-04-25 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013, Sietse Brouwer wrote:

> We're getting 3-12 new accounts created per day. If nothing else,
> they're cluttering up the recent changes list.
>
> I think it's a good idea to update the security questions --- it's
> easy to do, it'll probably work, and we can always move on to stronger
> measures that require more work. Below are some replacemetn questions.
>
> * If you have a log of which questions get answered correctly,
> perhaps only rotate out the bad question(s);
> * If finding the cracked questions is nontrivial (i.e. more work than
> 'just open the log file and see which ones get answered every day'),
> just replace them all.
>
> If this works, hooray; if it stops working, we can either change the
> questions again (if the spammers took long to get through) or move on
> to e.g. the ConfirmAccount extension [1,2] (if the questions got
> cracked quickly, so we are getting 'human' attention from the spammer
> instead of his bots).

Confirm account means that a new user will not be able to quickly correct
typos etc. Isn't there a simple way to add a captcha to mediawiki. I am
not a big fan of Captchas, but the are the de facto standard for human
verification. A user only has to do it once, so it is not too big of an
annoyance either.

Aditya

* Re: [wiki] fake account spam
@ 2013-04-25 18:19       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2013-04-25 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/25/2013 07:31 PM, Sietse Brouwer wrote:
> Hi Taco,
>
> We're getting 3-12 new accounts created per day. If nothing else,
> they're cluttering up the recent changes list.
>
> I think it's a good idea to update the security questions --- it's
> easy to do, it'll probably work, and we can always move on to stronger
> measures that require more work. Below are some replacemetn questions.

Yes, I had already contacted Mojca a couple of weeks ago. I think we
should demand that all questions be answered in Dutch. Every serious
ConTeXter has to know some Dutch, and nothing better than asking "What
is the ConTeXt keyword for a two-sided layout" and expecting
"dubbelzijdig" as an answer. If that doesn't help, we make them
pronounce it...

Thomas

* Re: [wiki] fake account spam
@ 2013-04-25 21:07         ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2013-04-25 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:19:41 +0200
"Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> I think we
> should demand that all questions be answered in Dutch. Every serious
> ConTeXter has to know some Dutch, and nothing better than asking
> "What is the ConTeXt keyword for a two-sided layout" and expecting
> "dubbelzijdig" as an answer. If that doesn't help, we make them
> pronounce it...

++

(One can always look in mult-def.lua in order to cheat, but this won't
help me with the pronounciation)

Alan

* Re: [wiki] fake account spam
@ 2013-04-25 21:52         ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2013-04-25 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Confirm account means that a new user will not be able to quickly correct
> typos etc. Isn't there a simple way to add a captcha to mediawiki.

Just found one (I had missed it when I sent my previous e-mail):

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ReCAPTCHA, nowadays merged into
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit (which is not
ConfirmAccount).

ConfirmEdit can be configured to only present captchas to
non-logged-in users, when they try to edit or create a page, or create
an account. Might that be useful?

Or we could go old-school copy protection style: "What is the fifth
word on page 120 of the TeXbook?" :-P

If we want to have a slightly higher barrier of entry: "Name one
undocumented command that you recently heard about on the mailing
list." ;-)

Cheers,
Sietse

* Re: [wiki] fake account spam
@ 2013-04-26  6:31         ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2013-04-26  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:19:41 +0200, Thomas A. Schmitz <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> On 04/25/2013 07:31 PM, Sietse Brouwer wrote:
>> Hi Taco,

>> I think it's a good idea to update the security questions --- it's
>> easy to do, it'll probably work, and we can always move on to stronger
>> measures that require more work. Below are some replacemetn questions.
>
> Yes, I had already contacted Mojca a couple of weeks ago. I think we
> should demand that all questions be answered in Dutch. Every serious
> ConTeXter has to know some Dutch,

even though I consider myself a serious Ctx user, Dutch is still Greek to me.

> and nothing better than asking "What
> is the ConTeXt keyword for a two-sided layout" and expecting
> "dubbelzijdig" as an answer.

Goggle translator would help in this case (http://translate.google.com/#en/nl/doublesided);
but having a "more complicated keyword/option" may mean a unanswered/unanswerable question...

How about to prompt the user to encode a displayed math, e.g. "b/a2^3" to be answered "$\frac{b}{a_2^3}$"?

Best regards,

Lukas

--
Ing. Lukáš Procházka [mailto:LPr@pontex.cz]
Pontex s. r. o.      [mailto:pontex@pontex.cz] [http://www.pontex.cz]

Tel: +420 244 062 238
Fax: +420 244 461 038

* Re: [wiki] fake account spam
@ 2013-04-26  6:55           ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2013-04-26  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/26/2013 08:31 AM, Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:

> even though I consider myself a serious Ctx user, Dutch is still Greek
> to me.

> How about to prompt the user to encode a displayed math, e.g. "b/a2^3"
> to be answered "$\frac{b}{a_2^3}$"?

Well, in that case, I'd actually prefer Greek - "write line 222 of book
2 of the Odyssey in its original Greek," or something like that...
Seriously, I guess I'm not alone when I say I never use math.
But I agree something has to be done...

Thomas

* Re: [wiki] fake account spam
@ 2013-04-26  7:37             ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2013-04-26  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Currently we are using QuestyCaptcha w/ ConfirmEdit. This is definitely supposed to be safer
than bitmap images unless the images become so complex that even humans get it wrong,
which has happened for me on various sites and is the most annoying thing in, like, ever!

I do not mind adding new questions and/or replacing all of them, but it is a bad idea to send
the new ones to the mailing list, since somehow a spamnet seems to have found the answers
and I doubt that they actually went to the trouble of looking up the answers on pragma-ade.com
(but then again, weirder stuff has happened).

For now, I will quickly invent some of my own questions.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: [wiki] fake account spam
@ 2013-04-26  7:48               ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-04-26  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> For now, I will quickly invent some of my own questions.

and the right answers will be given only to the physical people
present at the next context meeting.

--
luigi

* Re: [wiki] fake account spam
@ 2013-04-26  8:41             ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2013-04-26  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 08:55:52 +0200
"Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> Well, in that case, I'd actually prefer Greek - "write line 222 of book
> 2 of the Odyssey in its original Greek," or something like that...

That's too easy:

σῆμά τέ οἱ χεύω καὶ ἐπὶ κτέρεα κτερεΐξω

:)

* Re: [wiki] fake account spam
@ 2013-04-26  8:57           ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2013-04-26  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 23:52:56 +0200
Sietse Brouwer <sbbrouwer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Or we could go old-school copy protection style: "What is the fifth
> word on page 120 of the TeXbook?" :-P

\TEX

Alan

* Re: [wiki] fake account spam
@ 2013-04-26  9:32             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-04-26  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.04.2013 um 10:57 schrieb Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr>:

> On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 23:52:56 +0200
> Sietse Brouwer <sbbrouwer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Or we could go old-school copy protection style: "What is the fifth
>> word on page 120 of the TeXbook?" :-P
>
> \TEX

Maybe \TeX\ but not \TEX\ which is a \CONTEXT\ command and not available with plain \TeX.

Wolfgang

* Re: [wiki] fake account spam
@ 2013-04-26  9:44             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-04-26  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/26/2013 10:57 AM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 23:52:56 +0200
> Sietse Brouwer <sbbrouwer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Or we could go old-school copy protection style: "What is the fifth
>> word on page 120 of the TeXbook?" :-P
>
> \TEX

we could go for sound ... pronounce \TEX\ the right way .. only DEK
could edit then

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE