From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl>
Subject: Re: \setupalign[flushleft] doesn't like ~
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 12:53:47 +0200	[thread overview]

Dnia 2013-04-26, o godz. 10:26:35
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> napisał(a):

> On 4/26/2013 2:26 AM, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> > Dnia 2013-04-26, o godz. 01:45:37
> > Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> napisał(a):

> >> more info needed .. as this looks similar:
> >> [...]
> >
> > In both cases I get:
> >
> > 3.912pt+1.956pt-1.304pt
> > 3.912pt
> >
> > but in the latter one, the space produced by "~" is noticeably
> > wider.
>
> maybe you mean (non)frenchspacing
>
> \usemodule[ipsum]
>
> \showframe
>
> \starttext
>
> \setupalign[flushleft] \setupspacing[fixed]  \ipsum \par
> \setupalign[flushleft] \setupspacing[packed] \ipsum \par
> \setupalign[flushleft] \setupspacing[broad]  \ipsum \par
>
> \stoptext
>
> (defaults are language dependent)

Sorry for my delay - I was quite busy, now I got back to this.

It's not the question of \(non)frenchspacing.

This is indeed strange: I compiled this (with the newest ConTeXt):

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\starttext

Lorem ipsum dolor sit~amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec euismod
mattis pellentesque. Duis ut ullamcorper sem. Sed varius neque quis
lacus hendrerit dapibus. Ut non elit eu nibh dignissim feugiat. Quisque
elementum lacinia pretium. Aliquam vel tellus in~ipsum lacinia
sagittis. Morbi vitae justo ante, sit~amet vulputate sem. Vivamus
faucibus ante vel dolor aliquet placerat. Ut pulvinar tellus sit~amet
augue congue dapibus. Donec justo odio, dignissim id rhoncus eget,
tristique at justo. Morbi quis libero id nisl malesuada aliquam non non
libero. Proin tristique ultricies ipsum, vel facilisis odio luctus
quis. Nullam tellus leo, posuere in~eleifend quis, lobortis eu sem.
In~hac habitasse platea dictumst. Suspendisse non quam a~ante mollis
dignissim. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia
nostra, per inceptos himenaeos.

  \the\fontinterwordspace  \font
+\the\fontinterwordstretch\font
-\the\fontinterwordshrink \font

\setbox\scratchbox\hbox{sit amet}\copy\scratchbox \the\wd\scratchbox\par
\setbox\scratchbox\hbox{sit~amet}\copy\scratchbox \the\wd\scratchbox

\setupalign[flushleft]

[...]

and the numbers (widths) shown don't exhibit any discrepancies, but in
the pdf, the spaces are significantly wider (both in Evince and Adobe
Reader).  OTOH, the \copy commands don't show any differences between
spaces and "ties".

Now I'm confused - but something is still wrong.

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University