* Woe is me :<( mkiv misbehaving.
@ 2013-06-08 18:45 john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2013-06-08 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

After fiddling with some unrelated issues involving a python program
called makehuman my well behaved context mkiv job is acting up. It
finds all kinds of unrelated modules but no longer can find the OTF
fonts I use in /usr/share/fonts/OTF.

here is a brief sample of some of the output I get now:
kbuildsycoca4(2398) KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified:
"video/wavelet.xml" in xdgdata-mime kbuildsycoca4(2398)
KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified: "video/x-ogm+ogg.xml" in
xdgdata-mime kbuildsycoca4(2398) KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified:
"video/x-anim.xml" in xdgdata-mime kbuildsycoca4(2398)
KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified: "video/ogg.xml" in xdgdata-mime
kbuildsycoca4(2398) KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified:
"video/x-ms-wmp.xml" in xdgdata-mime kbuildsycoca4(2398)
KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified: "video/mp4.xml" in xdgdata-mime
kbuildsycoca4(2398) KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified:
"video/vnd.rn-realvideo.xml" in xdgdata-mime kbuildsycoca4(2398)
KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified: "video/x-matroska.xml" in
xdgdata-mime kbuildsycoca4(2398) KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified:
"video/mp2t.xml" in xdgdata-mime
---------------------------------------

I have added some python things. Does MKIV use python in any way?

Slackware Linux 14. Texlive 2012.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

* Re: Woe is me :<( mkiv misbehaving.
@ 2013-06-08 20:02 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-06-08 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 8:45 PM, john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> After fiddling with some unrelated issues involving a python program
> called makehuman my well behaved context mkiv job is acting up. It
> finds all kinds of unrelated modules but no longer can find the OTF
> fonts I use in /usr/share/fonts/OTF.
>
> here is a brief sample of some of the output I get now:
> kbuildsycoca4(2398) KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified:
> "video/wavelet.xml" in xdgdata-mime kbuildsycoca4(2398)
> KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified: "video/x-ogm+ogg.xml" in
> xdgdata-mime kbuildsycoca4(2398) KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified:
> "video/x-anim.xml" in xdgdata-mime kbuildsycoca4(2398)
> KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified: "video/ogg.xml" in xdgdata-mime
> kbuildsycoca4(2398) KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified:
> "video/x-ms-wmp.xml" in xdgdata-mime kbuildsycoca4(2398)
> KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified: "video/mp4.xml" in xdgdata-mime
> kbuildsycoca4(2398) KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified:
> "video/vnd.rn-realvideo.xml" in xdgdata-mime kbuildsycoca4(2398)
> KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified: "video/x-matroska.xml" in
> xdgdata-mime kbuildsycoca4(2398) KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified:
> "video/mp2t.xml" in xdgdata-mime
> ---------------------------------------
>
> no cluecontext

> I have added some python things. Does MKIV use python in any way?
>
> no, as far I know.

The directory is not a standard one, so I presume you have modified some
variables.
What
does
mtxrun --variables
say ?

Maybe you have forgotten
mtxrun --generate
--
luigi

* Re: Woe is me :<( mkiv misbehaving.
@ 2013-06-09 12:24   ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2013-06-09 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sat, 8 Jun 2013 22:02:35 +0200
luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 8:45 PM, john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com>
> wrote:
>

> > After fiddling with some unrelated issues involving a python program
> > called makehuman my well behaved context mkiv job is acting up. It
> > finds all kinds of unrelated modules but no longer can find the OTF
> > fonts I use in /usr/share/fonts/OTF.
> >
> > here is a brief sample of some of the output I get now:
> > kbuildsycoca4(2398) KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified:
> > "video/wavelet.xml" in xdgdata-mime kbuildsycoca4(2398)
> > KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified: "video/x-ogm+ogg.xml" in
> > xdgdata-mime kbuildsycoca4(2398) KBuildSycoca::createEntry:
> > modified: "video/x-anim.xml" in xdgdata-mime kbuildsycoca4(2398)
> > KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified: "video/ogg.xml" in xdgdata-mime
> > kbuildsycoca4(2398) KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified:
> > "video/x-ms-wmp.xml" in xdgdata-mime kbuildsycoca4(2398)
> > KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified: "video/mp4.xml" in xdgdata-mime
> > kbuildsycoca4(2398) KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified:
> > "video/vnd.rn-realvideo.xml" in xdgdata-mime kbuildsycoca4(2398)
> > KBuildSycoca::createEntry: modified: "video/x-matroska.xml" in
> > xdgdata-mime kbuildsycoca4(2398) KBuildSycoca::createEntry:
> > modified: "video/mp2t.xml" in xdgdata-mime
> > ---------------------------------------
> >
> > no cluecontext
>
> > I have added some python things. Does MKIV use python in any way?
> >
> > no, as far I know.
>
> The directory is not a standard one, so I presume you have modified
> some variables.
> What
> does
> mtxrun --variables
> say ?
>
> Maybe you have forgotten
> mtxrun --generate

I solved the wierd messages by a brute force method.  I created a fresh
slackware partition and whatever I did wrong was eliminated. Now, down
to the fonts; the directory /usr/share/fonts and its subdirectories is
a standard place to put fonts on a Linux system. Most of my other
programs (Inkscape, Scribus) find those fonts without difficulty. I
checked my permissions in that directory and subdirectories and they
are not restrictive. I will link those fonts to a directory that
Context searches. I just wonder why it worked before and not now.
--

@ 2013-06-09 12:41     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-06-09 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 09.06.2013 um 14:24 schrieb john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com>:

> I solved the wierd messages by a brute force method.  I created a fresh
> slackware partition and whatever I did wrong was eliminated. Now, down
> to the fonts; the directory /usr/share/fonts and its subdirectories is
> a standard place to put fonts on a Linux system. Most of my other
> programs (Inkscape, Scribus) find those fonts without difficulty. I
> checked my permissions in that directory and subdirectories and they
> are not restrictive. I will link those fonts to a directory that
> Context searches. I just wonder why it worked before and not now.

You have set the directories with the OSFONTDIR variable:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX#Building_the_font_database

Wolfgang

* Re: Woe is me :<( mkiv misbehaving.
@ 2013-06-10 18:43       ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2013-06-10 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sun, 9 Jun 2013 14:41:50 +0200
Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 09.06.2013 um 14:24 schrieb john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com>:
>
> > I solved the wierd messages by a brute force method.  I created a
> > fresh slackware partition and whatever I did wrong was eliminated.
> > Now, down to the fonts; the directory /usr/share/fonts and its
> > subdirectories is a standard place to put fonts on a Linux system.
> > Most of my other programs (Inkscape, Scribus) find those fonts
> > without difficulty. I checked my permissions in that directory and
> > subdirectories and they are not restrictive. I will link those
> > fonts to a directory that Context searches. I just wonder why it
> > worked before and not now.
>
> You have set the directories with the OSFONTDIR variable:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_LuaTeX#Building_the_font_database
>
> Wolfgang

That worked!  still don't know why I lost access to those fonts but no
matter. And after some mtxrun executions the weird messages went away
too. So I can revert to my original partition which saves a lot of
labor.

Most sincere thanks to all who answered.