* [***SPAM***] How to reduce vertical spacing after this table
@ 2013-07-06  9:09 hwitloc
From: hwitloc @ 2013-07-06  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I'Ve been trying dozens of combinations to try to reduce the vertical space between the a table and the local footer to some items in the table, but have just been running into a wall.

Here is a minimal example.   For my application there is just too much space between the bottom of the table and the footnote.   That is the problem.  Also is there a more elegant way to get the footnote aligned under the table to the left side.  I am using narrower to force it to postion.  This doesn't show up right in the minimal, but it works.

Help in solving this would be greatly appreciated.

%----------------

\defineconversion[fnsym][\m{\dagger},\m{*},\m{**},\m{***}]  % footnote header symbols

\starttext
\subject{Subject Name}
        \blank
  \startlocalfootnotes   % [conversion=set fnsym]
  \setupnotation[footnote][numberconversion=fnsym,rule=off] % change footnote symbols
\midaligned
  {
  \placetable[here,none][]{}
    {
    \setuptables[bodyfont=10pt,after=\nowhitespace,spaceafter=none]
     \starttable[|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|]
     \HL
     \VL X-ITEM \VL  \VL$\oplus$ \footnote[hanzi]{Traditional Characters} \VL
                          \VL$\oplus$ \note[hanzi]\VL\VL$\oplus$ \VL \VL$\oplus$  \VL\MR
     \VL Y-ITEM    \VL  \VL$\oplus$ \VL  \VL$\oplus$ \VL
                     \VL$\oplus$ \VL \VL$\oplus$  \VL\MR
     \HL
     \stoptable
    }
  }
\setupnarrower[left=2.5cm]	% to align footnote under the table
\startnarrower[left]
   \placelocalfootnotes[here]
\stopnarrower

   \stoplocalfootnotes
 \setupnotation[footnote][numberconversion=n,rule=on]  % restore footnotes to global

\stoptext

%----------------

* Re: [***SPAM***] How to reduce vertical spacing after this table
@ 2013-07-06  9:26 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-07-06  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Slightly modified solution I already wrote three hours ago for another thread regarding a similar question:

\defineconversion[fnsym][\m{\dagger},\m{*},\m{**},\m{***}]

\starttext

\subject{Subject Name}

\startplacetable[location={force,none}]
	\startlocalfootnotes \setupnotation[footnote][numberconversion=fnsym]
		\startplacelegend
			\startcontent
				\starttable[|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|][bodyfont=10pt]
				\HL
				\VL X-ITEM
				\VL
				\VL $\oplus$\footnote[hanzi]{Traditional Characters}
				\VL
				\VL $\oplus$\note[hanzi]
				\VL
				\VL $\oplus$
				\VL
				\VL $\oplus$
				\VL\MR
				\VL Y-ITEM
				\VL
				\VL $\oplus$
				\VL
				\VL$\oplus$
				\VL
				\VL $\oplus$
				\VL
				\VL $\oplus$
				\VL\MR
				\HL
				\stoptable
			\stopcontent
			\startcaption
				\placelocalfootnotes
			\stopcaption
		\stopplacelegend
	\stoplocalfootnotes
\stopplacetable

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* [***SPAM***] Re: [***SPAM***] How to reduce vertical spacing after this table
@ 2013-07-08 12:06   ` d.henman
From: d.henman @ 2013-07-08 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang,
   thank you very much, for the solution to the problem I was having.
   I am surprised tha placelegend was necessary. I thought that simiply
   putting the placefootnotes inside the caption would be sufficient.

   The solution you provided works well.  Much appreciated.

 ----