On 2013–07–16 Steffen Kram wrote: > A similar problem occurs, when using references: It might be a parser issue. ConTeXt uses different parsers for different commands. Most commands happily accept values without trailing comma. The commands using a different parser require a trailing comma. I recall this applied to \definepalet, \usepath and a few others. The issue occasionally pops up on the mailing list, since it's inconsistent and non-intuitive behaviour. http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2012/067585.html https://gist.github.com/phi-gamma/2941284#file-features-wiki-L258 Personally I don't use that syntax any more. It doesn't work reliably and fails occasionally with particular commands. Marco