* INstalling the context version of TeX distro.
@ 2013-07-17 15:45 john Culleton
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: john Culleton @ 2013-07-17 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Normally I just use TeXlive as my TeX distro for Context as well as
everything else. However I thought I would play with the Context
version for educational purposes. It is perhaps more up to date than
TeXlive 2013.

I downloaded the zip file and unzipped it. Now what?

Also I copied the zip file to my Windows partition (currently XP but
I can up it to Win 7 if desirable for Context. I have both XP and Win
7 install disks.)

Again I need install directions. If there is an up-to-date guide to
this process just give me its name.

Thanks in advance.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

* Re: INstalling the context version of TeX distro.
@ 2013-07-17 15:54 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-07-17 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.07.2013 um 17:45 schrieb john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com>:

> Normally I just use TeXlive as my TeX distro for Context as well as
> everything else. However I thought I would play with the Context
> version for educational purposes. It is perhaps more up to date than
> TeXlive 2013.
>
> I downloaded the zip file and unzipped it. Now what?
>
> Also I copied the zip file to my Windows partition (currently XP but
> I can up it to Win 7 if desirable for Context. I have both XP and Win
> 7 install disks.)

Which zip file and where did you get it from?

> Again I need install directions. If there is an up-to-date guide to
> this process just give me its name.

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone#Windows

Wolfgang

* Re: INstalling the context version of TeX distro.
@ 2013-07-17 15:56 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-07-17 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–07–17 john Culleton wrote:

> I downloaded the zip file and unzipped it. Now what?

Unzip it and run

  first-setup.bat

If you don't mind about a few MiB of space, run

  first-setup.bat --modules=all --fonts=all

> Again I need install directions. If there is an up-to-date guide to
> this process just give me its name.

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone

Marco

* Re: INstalling the context version of TeX distro.
@ 2013-07-17 16:00 ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2013-07-17 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello John,

Ah, I see everybody else has already linked you to
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone#Windows

I do apologize for the state of that page. Hans van der Meer sent me
(well, he sent it to Hans Hagen and Hans H sent it to me) a
much-improved draft of installation instructions, which I still
haven't gotten around to putting on the wiki. I have to run out the
door now, but I'll get round to it soon. Mentioning it here in order
to remind myself. :-)

Cheers,

Sietse

* Re: INstalling the context version of TeX distro.
@ 2013-07-19 18:51   ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2013-07-19 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 18:00:06 +0200
Sietse Brouwer <sbbrouwer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello John,
>
> Ah, I see everybody else has already linked you to
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone#Windows
>
> I do apologize for the state of that page. Hans van der Meer sent me
> (well, he sent it to Hans Hagen and Hans H sent it to me) a
> much-improved draft of installation instructions, which I still
> haven't gotten around to putting on the wiki. I have to run out the
> door now, but I'll get round to it soon. Mentioning it here in order
> to remind myself. :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sietse

Slight problem. The standard install assumes that one can get to the
internet from Windoze. I can't. WIn 7 refuses to talk to my obsolete
linksys router and the Linksys software disk doesn't work with Win XP or
Win 7. So is there a context zip that actually contains the software?

Linux and my router is of course no problem. but I want to run Context
on a windows partition.

Do I need to run a TeXLive dvd disk instead?
--

@ 2013-07-19 19:16     ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2013-07-19 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19/07/13 20:51, john Culleton wrote:
> [...]
> Slight problem. The standard install assumes that one can get to the
> internet from Windoze. I can't. WIn 7 refuses to talk to my obsolete
> linksys router and the Linksys software disk doesn't work with Win XP or
> Win 7. So is there a context zip that actually contains the software?
>
> Linux and my router is of course no problem. but I want to run Context
> on a windows partition.

Hi John,

it seems that you can do this in Linux:

    ./first-setup.sh --platform=mswin

zip the results and move it to Windows.

I’d read the original message to be found at
http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2012/070179.html.

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: Can this layout be done in Context
@ 2013-07-21  4:22       ` Russell Urquhart
From: Russell Urquhart @ 2013-07-21  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a jpg of an image of an oldish Zondervan NIV Bible page. I love the layout of this and would love to do similar layouts.  Can the Context experts look at this and tell me if this sort of layout is reasonable, in Context?

Thanks,

Russ

[-- Attachment #2: 639863_6_sam_3.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 61389 bytes --]

* Re: Can this layout be done in Context
@ 2013-07-22  6:19         ` David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2013-07-22  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Russell Urquhart <russurquhart1@verizon.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have a jpg of an image of an oldish Zondervan NIV Bible page. I love
> the layout of this and would love to do similar layouts.  Can the
> Context experts look at this and tell me if this sort of layout is
> reasonable, in Context?

To summarize: A page header with page number and guide word (the guide
word showing which chapter of which book of the Bible begins on this
page), two columns of regular text, "margin notes" *for both columns*
set in their own special single (very narrow) centre column, and
footnotes in one single large column, which is permitted to take a lot
of vertical space on the page when necessary, with all those areas of
the page separated from each other by thin ruled lines. Correct?

--
David R

* Re: Can this layout be done in Context
@ 2013-07-22  8:01         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-07-22  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 21.07.2013 um 06:22 schrieb Russell Urquhart <russurquhart1@verizon.net>:

> Hi,
>
> I have a jpg of an image of an oldish Zondervan NIV Bible page. I love the layout of this and would love to do similar layouts.  Can the Context experts look at this and tell me if this sort of layout is reasonable, in Context?

The layout should be possible but one has to write some extra code to simplify the input of the text, notes etc.

Before this code is written some specs about the text between the columns and in the footnote area are needed.

PS. Don’t create a new thread by replying to a older one (which you did now twice) and changing the subject.

Wolfgang

* Re: Can this layout be done in Context
@ 2013-07-23  1:11           ` Russell Urquhart
From: Russell Urquhart @ 2013-07-23  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 11:19:27PM -0700, David Rogers wrote:
> To summarize: A page header with page number and guide word (the guide
> word showing which chapter of which book of the Bible begins on this
> page), two columns of regular text, "margin notes" *for both columns*
> set in their own special single (very narrow) centre column, and
> footnotes in one single large column, which is permitted to take a lot
> of vertical space on the page when necessary, with all those areas of
> the page separated from each other by thin ruled lines. Correct?

I know that this example is probably a little extreme, but i love the layout of thise books, and while i may not want to be able to do something that has ALL of those layout attributes, i'd be curious as to what it would take on the Context side.

thanks,

Russ

* Re: Can this layout be done in Context
@ 2013-07-23  1:17           ` Russell Urquhart
From: Russell Urquhart @ 2013-07-23  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:01:17AM +0200, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> The layout should be possible but one has to write some extra code to simplify the input of the text, notes etc.

That's is kind of what i was expecting, but it good to get a sense that this is not totally out of the realm.

> PS. Don’t create a new thread by replying to a older one (which you did now twice) and changing the subject.

Sorry about that. Mea culpa. I'll really try to not let that happen again!

Thanks,

Russ

* Re: Can this layout be done in Context
@ 2013-07-23 19:47             ` David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2013-07-23 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Russell Urquhart <russurquhart1@verizon.net> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 11:19:27PM -0700, David Rogers wrote:
>> To summarize: A page header with page number and guide word (the guide
>> word showing which chapter of which book of the Bible begins on this
>> page), two columns of regular text, "margin notes" *for both columns*
>> set in their own special single (very narrow) centre column, and
>> footnotes in one single large column, which is permitted to take a lot
>> of vertical space on the page when necessary, with all those areas of
>> the page separated from each other by thin ruled lines. Correct?
>
> I know that this example is probably a little extreme, but i love the
> layout of thise books, and while i may not want to be able to do
> something that has ALL of those layout attributes, i'd be curious as
> to what it would take on the Context side.

I don't think it's extreme - I just wanted to make sure we didn't miss
any of what it contains.

I think there would need to be a lot of typing inside of the Bible text
itself (for example, needing to manually tag each and every chapter of
each book of the Bible), to get the guide-words to display correctly -
you definitely wouldn't be able to just book-end the Bible with some
code at the beginning and end. I don't know how easy it is to get margin
notes from two different text columns to combine into one margin
column. The rest of it seems not very challenging from a ConTeXt point
of view - footnotes are quite well-supported (though again for both the
footnotes and the margin notes there would be considerable hand-work
adding the commands for every single note, to make them appear in the
right places); and the physical layout of the page is not difficult in
itself.

The benefit of all that typing, if done with the right kind of planning
in mind, would be that later you'd easily be able to change the page
size, amount of white space, fonts and font sizes, etc.

The disadvantage would be that you would no longer have the "clean,
plain" text of the Bible in your ConTeXt file; it would be permanently
littered with commands and switches, so it would be much harder to check
your textual accuracy. Therefore you would want to be quite sure you
have exactly the Bible version you want, with all the spelling corrected
and verses and paragraphs the way they ought to be and so on, before you
begin your ConTeXt adventure.

--
David R

* Re: Can this layout be done in Context
@ 2013-07-23 20:07               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-07-23 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/23/2013 9:47 PM, David Rogers wrote:
> Russell Urquhart <russurquhart1@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 11:19:27PM -0700, David Rogers wrote:
>>> To summarize: A page header with page number and guide word (the guide
>>> word showing which chapter of which book of the Bible begins on this
>>> page), two columns of regular text, "margin notes" *for both columns*
>>> set in their own special single (very narrow) centre column, and
>>> footnotes in one single large column, which is permitted to take a lot
>>> of vertical space on the page when necessary, with all those areas of
>>> the page separated from each other by thin ruled lines. Correct?
>>
>> I know that this example is probably a little extreme, but i love the
>> layout of thise books, and while i may not want to be able to do
>> something that has ALL of those layout attributes, i'd be curious as
>> to what it would take on the Context side.
>

> I don't think it's extreme - I just wanted to make sure we didn't miss
> any of what it contains.
>
> I think there would need to be a lot of typing inside of the Bible text
> itself (for example, needing to manually tag each and every chapter of
> each book of the Bible), to get the guide-words to display correctly -
> you definitely wouldn't be able to just book-end the Bible with some
> code at the beginning and end. I don't know how easy it is to get margin
> notes from two different text columns to combine into one margin
> column. The rest of it seems not very challenging from a ConTeXt point
> of view - footnotes are quite well-supported (though again for both the
> footnotes and the margin notes there would be considerable hand-work
> adding the commands for every single note, to make them appear in the
> right places); and the physical layout of the page is not difficult in
> itself.

critical editions is one area where extensions can be expected in context

> The benefit of all that typing, if done with the right kind of planning
> in mind, would be that later you'd easily be able to change the page
> size, amount of white space, fonts and font sizes, etc.
>
> The disadvantage would be that you would no longer have the "clean,
> plain" text of the Bible in your ConTeXt file; it would be permanently
> littered with commands and switches, so it would be much harder to check
> your textual accuracy. Therefore you would want to be quite sure you
> have exactly the Bible version you want, with all the spelling corrected
> and verses and paragraphs the way they ought to be and so on, before you
> begin your ConTeXt adventure.

as long as you use enough structure it's ok and you can write checkers
(often xml is a good choice too)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE