* [***SPAM***] Continuous preview
@ 2013-08-27 11:45 "H. Özoguz"
From: "H. Özoguz" @ 2013-08-27 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

For LaTex there exists a tool, named "latexmk", which allows a "preview
continuous mode", that is to update the compiled pdf automatically. It
is really very helpful!

Because it is open-source: It is possible to addapt this tool for
context, too? Maybe one of the programmers have time for this ... :)

* Re: [***SPAM***] Continuous preview
@ 2013-08-27 13:04 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-08-27 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–08–27 "H. Özoguz" wrote:

> For LaTex there exists a tool, named "latexmk", which allows a
> "preview continuous mode", that is to update the compiled pdf
> automatically. It is really very helpful!

I don't know latexmk, but updating the pdf is a feature of the pdf
reader, not of context. If you want to re-run the compilation when
the file has changed, you can use the mechanisms your operating
system provides. Every OS has a mechanism to watch files. Here is a
Linux example

  while true do
    inotifywait --event modify somefile.tex; context --batchmode somefile.tex
  done

Marco

* Re: [***SPAM***] Continuous preview
@ 2013-08-27 13:16   ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-08-27 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–08–27 Marco Patzer wrote:

>   while true do
>     inotifywait --event modify somefile.tex; context --batchmode somefile.tex
>   done

Better:

  file='somefile.tex'
  while inotifywait --event modify "$file"; do
    context --batchmode "$file"
  done

For BSDs/MacOS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kqueue
For Windows:    http://schneider.ncifcrf.gov/atchange.html

Marco

* Re: [***SPAM***] Continuous preview
@ 2013-08-27 19:12     ` Thangalin
From: Thangalin @ 2013-08-27 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

When using the "evince" PDF reader on Linux, reloading the PDF is as simple
as:

  context filename.tex -- Generate for the first time
  evince filename.pdf  & -- Open the reader in the background

  context filename.tex -- The evince process automatically refreshes with
new content

* Re: [***SPAM***] Continuous preview
@ 2013-08-27 19:21 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-08-27 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013, "H. Özoguz" wrote:

> For LaTex there exists a tool, named "latexmk", which allows a "preview
> continuous mode", that is to update the compiled pdf automatically. It is
> really very helpful!
>
> Because it is open-source: It is possible to addapt this tool for context,
> too? Maybe one of the programmers have time for this ... :)

I use the perl program `atchange`[1] for continous preview. For simple
documents, you can just run

    atchange filename.tex "context --batch filename"

For more complicated documents (depending on multiple files and figures),
you can create a automate file (see [1] for description) and run

    atchange automate

[1]: http://schneider.ncifcrf.gov/atchange.html

Aditya

* Re: [***SPAM***] Continuous preview
@ 2013-08-27 19:25       ` Romain Diss
From: Romain Diss @ 2013-08-27 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mardi 27 août 2013 12:12:32 Thangalin a écrit :
> When using the "evince" PDF reader on Linux, reloading the PDF is as simple
> as:
>
>   context filename.tex -- Generate for the first time
>   evince filename.pdf  & -- Open the reader in the background
>
>   context filename.tex -- The evince process automatically refreshes with
Same here with 'okular' (it can be configured: so one can decide to not
refresh on file change).

--
Romain Diss
<romain.diss@yahoo.fr>

[-- Attachment #1.2: This is a digitally signed message part. --]

* Re: continuous preview (in TeXstudio)
@ 2013-08-27 20:15       ` Ernst van der Storm
From: Ernst van der Storm @ 2013-08-27 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

In Windows (XP) one can use TeXstudio, the viewer's outputscreen is
automatically refreshed with each compilation. (B.t.w. TeXnicCentre is nowadays
not anymore preferred.)

In TeXstudio one can even make ConTeXt available by assigning a less used
shortcut (f.i. F10) to:

C:\context\tex\setuptex.bat & "C:\context\tex\texmf-mswin\bin\context"
-interface=nl %

Of course assumed that in the folder C:\context\..  the installation of ConTeXt
is available.

(setuptex.bat is provided by the installation.)

Greetings, from Ernst van der Storm (ConTeXt starter)

@ 2013-08-29 16:05   ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2013-08-29 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 15:21:38 -0400 (EDT)
Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Aug 2013, "H. Özoguz" wrote:
>
> > For LaTex there exists a tool, named "latexmk", which allows a
> > "preview continuous mode", that is to update the compiled pdf
> > automatically. It is really very helpful!
> >
> > Because it is open-source: It is possible to addapt this tool for
> > context, too? Maybe one of the programmers have time for this ... :)
>
> I use the perl program `atchange`[1] for continous preview. For
> simple documents, you can just run
>
>     atchange filename.tex "context --batch filename"
>
> For more complicated documents (depending on multiple files and
> figures), you can create a automate file (see [1] for description)
> and run
>
>     atchange automate
>
> [1]: http://schneider.ncifcrf.gov/atchange.html
>
> Aditya

If you use the editor texworks you can maintain two side by side
windows, one for editing and one for viewing.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

* Re: [***SPAM***] Continuous preview
@ 2013-08-29 18:36 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-08-29 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013, "H. Özoguz" wrote:

>> I use the perl program `atchange`[1] for continous preview. For simple
>> documents, you can just run
>>
>>      atchange filename.tex "context --batch filename"
>
> Thanks Aditja. Because I have no experience with Pearl: What to do with this
> text-file of your link? Should I just copy it as text-file in the same
> folder, where the contex files are stored in, or do I have to install any
> pearl-interpreter first? Some instructions to get this working here would be
> nice :)

Well, latexmk is also a perl script, so if you can run latexmk, you
probably have perl installed. On a unix-like system, you can just download
the script, copy it somewhere in your $PATH, make it executable (chmod +x
filename), and just run `atchange filenme ...`.

Aditya

* Re: [***SPAM***] Continuous preview
@ 2013-08-28  7:10 "H. Özoguz"
From: "H. Özoguz" @ 2013-08-28  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> I use the perl program `atchange`[1] for continous preview. For simple
> documents, you can just run
>
>      atchange filename.tex "context --batch filename"

Thanks Aditja. Because I have no experience with Pearl: What to do with
this text-file of your link? Should I just copy it as text-file in the
same folder, where the contex files are stored in, or do I have to
install any pearl-interpreter first? Some instructions to get this
working here would be nice :)

Huseyin