* captions in float combinations
@ 2013-09-08  7:32 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2013-09-08  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear list,
In two-column combinations  of figures, the "subcaptions" for the individual figures are always placed at the bottom, below the figures, regardless of the position of the main figure caption.
In my project I have all figure captions located above the figure. How can I move also these subcaptions to the top, to a position just below the main caption?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best regards,
Robert Blackstone

* Re: captions in float combinations
@ 2013-09-08 10:33 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-09-08 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–09–08 Robert Blackstone wrote:

> In my project I have all figure captions located above the figure.
> How can I move also these subcaptions to the top, to a position
> just below the main caption?

As far as I can see, this is not supported by the combination
mechanism because the captions in combinations are not implemented
using the float captions mechanism.

What you can do instead, is using a float caption and a float
combination, which will respect the global caption setups.

\useMPlibrary [dum]

\definefloat
  [combinationfloat]
  [combinationfloats]
  [figure]

\setupcaption
  [combinationfloat]
  [number=no]

\setupcaptions
  %% [location=bottom]
  [location=top]

\starttext
  \startplacefigure [title=Foobar]
    \startfloatcombination [2*2]
      \startplacecombinationfloat [title=alpha] \externalfigure \stopplacecombinationfloat
      \startplacecombinationfloat [title=beta]  \externalfigure \stopplacecombinationfloat
      \startplacecombinationfloat [title=gamma] \externalfigure \stopplacecombinationfloat
      \startplacecombinationfloat [title=delta] \externalfigure \stopplacecombinationfloat
    \stopfloatcombination
  \stopplacefigure
\stoptext

Marco

* Re: captions in float combinations
@ 2013-09-09 21:45   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-09-09 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013, Robert Blackstone wrote:

> Wouldn't it  be worthwhile to add it to the wiki?

Definitely. The best place is http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Combinations
and the documentation of \startcombination and
\startplacecombinationfloat.

Aditya

* Re: captions in float combinations
       [not found] <mailman.61.1378710738.18665.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2013-09-09 20:50 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2013-09-09 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Marco, hi Aditya,

Thank you very much for the solutions you have proposed for my problem, that of making a side by side combination of two figures of unequal height with both the figures and their (sub)-captions located at the top.

In order not to make this mail too long I simply refer to the ntg-context Digest numbers and message number containing the proposed solutions:
Marco's in ntg-context Digest, Vol 111, Issue 23, Message 1, and in ntg-context Digest, Vol 111, Issue 24, message 5, Aditya's in ntg-context Digest, Vol 111, Issue 24, message 4

These solutions give me all the possibilities I need.
When I just want both figures in the combination to be located at the top without subcaptions I will probably use Marco's second proposal, which is both simpler and far more elegant than the hack I found myself.

If I want them at the top with subcaptions I will use Aditya's method, which, by the way, is nearly identical with Marco's first solution, but for two arguments for \externalfigure, the fllename of the figure and [location=top].

This fully solved my problem. Thank you both.

@ 2013-09-08 19:58   ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-09-08 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–09–08 Robert Blackstone wrote:

> The paired figures in my particular project are often of different
> size, in particular of different height, (but small enough to be
> placed side by side). The author wants not only the figure
> captions at the top, but also the figures themselves.

You can try:

  \setupcombinations
    [location=top]

Marco

* Re: captions in float combinations
@ 2013-09-08 19:56   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-09-08 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 8 Sep 2013, Robert Blackstone wrote:

> On 8 sep. 2013, at 17:01,  Marco Patzer <lists@homerow.info wrote:
>

>> On 2013?09?08 Robert Blackstone wrote:
>>
>>> In my project I have all figure captions located above the figure.
>>> How can I move also these subcaptions to the top, to a position
>>> just below the main caption?
>>
>> As far as I can see, this is not supported by the combination
>> mechanism because the captions in combinations are not implemented
>> using the float captions mechanism.
>>
>> What you can do instead, is using a float caption and a float
>> combination, which will respect the global caption setups.
>>
>> \useMPlibrary [dum]
>>
>> \definefloat
>>  [combinationfloat]
>>  [combinationfloats]
>>  [figure]
>>
>> \setupcaption
>>  [combinationfloat]
>>  [number=no]
>>
>> \setupcaptions
>>  %% [location=bottom]
>>  [location=top]
>>
>> \starttext
>>  \startplacefigure [title=Foobar]
>>    \startfloatcombination [2*2]
>>      \startplacecombinationfloat [title=alpha] \externalfigure \stopplacecombinationfloat
>>      \startplacecombinationfloat [title=beta]  \externalfigure \stopplacecombinationfloat
>>      \startplacecombinationfloat [title=gamma] \externalfigure \stopplacecombinationfloat
>>      \startplacecombinationfloat [title=delta] \externalfigure \stopplacecombinationfloat
>>    \stopfloatcombination
>>  \stopplacefigure
>> \stoptext
>>
>> Marco
>
> Hi Marco,
>
> Thanks for your solution. It took me a while to harmonize your new float with my other floats in my document setups. These are all placed on the left side of the page and that caused yor float to move almost off the page.
> So I added:
>
> \setupfloat[combinationfloat][location=middle,spacebefore=medium,spaceafter=medium,sidespacebefore=medium,sidespaceafter=medium]
>
> and now it works beautifully.
>
> There is, however, another complication which makes that unfortunately I cannot use your solution "out of the box" in all situations.
> The paired figures in my particular project are often of different size, in particular of different height, (but small enough to be placed side by side).
> The author wants not only the figure captions at the top, but also the figures themselves.
> I did not mention this complication because, a) I had found a hack to place both figures at the top, and b) I had not expected that the solution for the problem I posted would be a new type of float instead of a new type of combination.
>
> So now the captions are at the top but the figures are not. (Law of Conservation of Misery)

You can try playing around with the location parameter of \externalfigure.
For example:

\useMPlibrary [dum]

\definefloat
   [combinationfloat]
   [combinationfloats]
   [figure]

\setupcaption
   [combinationfloat]
   [number=no]

\setupcaptions
   %% [location=bottom]
   [location=top]

\starttext
   filler text \input ward
   \startplacefigure [title=Foobar]
     \startfloatcombination [4*1]
       \startplacecombinationfloat [title=alpha] \externalfigure[dummy][width=1cm, height=2cm, location=top] \stopplacecombinationfloat
       \startplacecombinationfloat [title=beta]  \externalfigure[dummy][width=1cm, height=3cm, location=top] \stopplacecombinationfloat
       \startplacecombinationfloat [title=gamma] \externalfigure[dummy][width=1cm, height=4cm, location=top] \stopplacecombinationfloat
       \startplacecombinationfloat [title=delta] \externalfigure[dummy][width=1cm, height=5cm, location=top] \stopplacecombinationfloat
     \stopfloatcombination
   \stopplacefigure

   More text \input knuth
\stoptext

Aditya

* Re: captions in float combinations
       [not found] <mailman.57.1378652473.18665.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2013-09-08 19:01 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2013-09-08 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8 sep. 2013, at 17:01,  Marco Patzer <lists@homerow.info wrote:

> On 2013?09?08 Robert Blackstone wrote:
>
>> In my project I have all figure captions located above the figure.
>> How can I move also these subcaptions to the top, to a position
>> just below the main caption?
>
> As far as I can see, this is not supported by the combination
> mechanism because the captions in combinations are not implemented
> using the float captions mechanism.
>
> What you can do instead, is using a float caption and a float
> combination, which will respect the global caption setups.
>
> \useMPlibrary [dum]
>
> \definefloat
>  [combinationfloat]
>  [combinationfloats]
>  [figure]
>
> \setupcaption
>  [combinationfloat]
>  [number=no]
>
> \setupcaptions
>  %% [location=bottom]
>  [location=top]
>
> \starttext
>  \startplacefigure [title=Foobar]
>    \startfloatcombination [2*2]
>      \startplacecombinationfloat [title=alpha] \externalfigure \stopplacecombinationfloat
>      \startplacecombinationfloat [title=beta]  \externalfigure \stopplacecombinationfloat
>      \startplacecombinationfloat [title=gamma] \externalfigure \stopplacecombinationfloat
>      \startplacecombinationfloat [title=delta] \externalfigure \stopplacecombinationfloat
>    \stopfloatcombination
>  \stopplacefigure
> \stoptext
>
> Marco

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your solution. It took me a while to harmonize your new float with my other floats in my document setups. These are all placed on the left side of the page and that caused yor float to move almost off the page.
So I added:

\setupfloat[combinationfloat][location=middle,spacebefore=medium,spaceafter=medium,sidespacebefore=medium,sidespaceafter=medium]

and now it works beautifully.

There is, however, another complication which makes that unfortunately I cannot use your solution "out of the box" in all situations.
The paired figures in my particular project are often of different size, in particular of different height, (but small enough to be placed side by side).
The author wants not only the figure captions at the top, but also the figures themselves.
I did not mention this complication because, a) I had found a hack to place both figures at the top, and b) I had not expected that the solution for the problem I posted would be a new type of float instead of a new type of combination.

So now the captions are at the top but the figures are not. (Law of Conservation of Misery)

I will use your solution when the figures are of the same height and can be placed at the bottom

You're far more experienced and ingenious in these matters than I am, so perhaps you have a solution for this additional problem, positioning figures of different sizes at the top too. (I should mention, however, that I have a fall-back solution, which consists of adding another line to the caption with info about the two figures in the combination)

Thank you very much  anyway.

Best regards,

Robert