* [***SPAM***] OT: Putting a context to the 2013 ConTeXt Meeting location
@ 2013-09-19  0:11 Pavneet Arora
From: Pavneet Arora @ 2013-09-19  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am so disappointed that I cannot attend the upcoming ConTeXt meeting
in Brejlov, but as I type this I am remembering vividly the hospitality
and affection shown by all at the 2010 meeting, especially Pavel's
father, to this tee-totalling vegetarian---not something that lands up
at the Brejlov Inn too often, I imagine!

The reason for my absence this year is that I will be heading to India
shortly to conduct what is known as "antim yatra" (final journey) in
Hindi for my mother; I'll leave the details of what that implies to
those who wish to search on DuckDuckGo ;).

Anyway that is strictly an aside to this post.  You'll have to forgive
me if I am feeling sentimental, but Prague does, as it has throughout
its history, enter one's soul.  To walk through its streets is to be
smitten by it for life.  Recently I picked up a book that I would like
to share as it may help provide a context to those travelling through
Prague on their way to Brejlov.

Prague:  Capital of the Twentieth Century
A Surrealist History
by Derek Sayer

All the best to those who are attending.  I am envious!

Warm regards.

--
----
Pavneet Arora           m: 647.406.6843

* Re: [***SPAM***] OT: Putting a context to the 2013 ConTeXt Meeting location
@ 2013-09-19  8:50 ` Hans Hagen
                     ` (4 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-09-19  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/19/2013 2:11 AM, Pavneet Arora wrote:

> All the best to those who are attending.  I am envious!

Thanks. A pitty that you will not be there, but there will be more
conferences, so maybe a next time.

Concerning the conference: there are tutorials and qa sessions, so if
anyone attending has specific questions of wishes, let them know and
they might serve as templates. Of course it has to be reasonable, not 'i
want a three dimensional table mechanism' and such.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: [***SPAM***] OT: Putting a context to the 2013 ConTeXt Meeting location
@ 2013-09-19 16:38   ` Mica Semrick
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Mica Semrick @ 2013-09-19 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are there any ConTeXt meetups or conferences on the US? I'd like to go, but
$$ to fly to Europe = :-\

Best,
Mica

@ 2013-09-19 17:14     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-09-19 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 9/19/2013 6:38 PM, Mica Semrick wrote:
> Are there any ConTeXt meetups or conferences on the US? I'd like to go,
> but $$ to fly to Europe = :-\

the reverse also applies, i.e. most developers are over here so it would
mean a lot of traveling

one advantage of europe is that we can choose relatively affordable
accomodation so on top of travel expenses the costs are bearable

it also depends on interest ... i think that idris still wants to have a
conference in Colorado one time (when his fight with fires and floods
have stopped)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: [***SPAM***] OT: Putting a context to the 2013 ConTeXt Meeting location
@ 2013-09-19 17:17   ` Aditya Mahajan
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-09-19 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013, Hans Hagen wrote:

> serve as templates. Of course it has to be reasonable, not 'i want a three
> dimensional table mechanism' and such.

There are 3D printers now, so what's wrong with wanting a (real) 3D table
:-)

Aditya

* Re: [***SPAM***] OT: Putting a context to the 2013 ConTeXt Meeting location
@ 2013-09-19 17:36     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-09-19 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 9/19/2013 7:17 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Sep 2013, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> serve as templates. Of course it has to be reasonable, not 'i want a
>> three dimensional table mechanism' and such.
>
> There are 3D printers now, so what's wrong with wanting a (real) 3D
> table :-)

i'm sitting behind a real 3d (wooden) table .. but indeed, 3d printing
is on my agenda

long ago i made a panoramic (360 degree) movie of the metafun manual ..
although it gave an interesting perspective of a document i never found
time or reason to do it again (but eventually documents will change in
unexpected ways)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-09-19 18:03   ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2013-09-19 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 10:50:31AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Concerning the conference: there are tutorials and qa sessions, so
> if anyone attending has specific questions of wishes, let them know
> and they might serve as templates. Of course it has to be
> reasonable, not 'i want a three dimensional table mechanism' and
> such.

I can’t ask about this! No conference for me then :(

Regards,
Khaled

* Re: [***SPAM***] OT: Putting a context to the 2013 ConTeXt Meeting location
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-09-19 19:29   ` Pavneet Arora
From: Pavneet Arora @ 2013-09-19 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, if I am able to finish what I intended to do, my talk at TUG 2013
will be about 3D cabinet layout; so not quite a table, but somewhat
close, no? ;).

Seriously, though, I went looking for this information and wasn't able
to find it.  What is the current state of affairs of tie-in between
ConTeXt and Aymptote?  Is there any?  Or is it best to create a
standalone .eps with Asymptote and then include it into the ConTeXt
document?

Thanks.

----

@ 2013-09-19 19:47     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-09-19 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://asymptote.sourceforge.net/gallery/cyclohexane.pdf
 ?

> Seriously, though, I went looking for this information and wasn't able
> to find it.  What is the current state of affairs of tie-in between
> ConTeXt and Aymptote?  Is there any?  Or is it best to create a
> standalone .eps with Asymptote and then include it into the ConTeXt
> document?
>
> It's better to create a separate pdf qith asymptote: mkiv should be able
to insert it without loss of informations.
The filter module is a general mechanism to use external programs with
mkiv, so I think it's possible
to embed a source asy and (with some macros) include the pdf (perhaps in
two pass)  .

--
luigi

* Re: [***SPAM***] OT: Putting a context to the 2013 ConTeXt Meeting location
@ 2013-09-19 20:18       ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2013-09-19 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 21:47:13 +0200
luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Do you mean something like
> http://asymptote.sourceforge.net/gallery/cyclohexane.pdf
>  ?

For this, I would prefer povray.

Alan

* Re: [***SPAM***] OT: Putting a context to the 2013 ConTeXt Meeting location
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-09-19 20:40   ` Pavneet Arora
From: Pavneet Arora @ 2013-09-19 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Actually, I am just hoping to get the skeleton line drawing part working
(for the inside boxes or carcasses as they are sometimes known in the
kitchen design business).  My focus is on the workflow and is a
follow-up to my YAWN talk at TUG last year.  Renderings will be beyond
my capabilities at this point, although I will give povray a look.

Thanks Luigi and Alan.

@ 2013-09-20  7:16         ` Keith J. Schultz
From: Keith J. Schultz @ 2013-09-20  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

The only problem with povray is that it is quite aged and to my knowledge
no longer in development at least the Mac side!

regards