* diameter symbol in ConTeXt?
@ 2013-09-21 14:56 Xan
From: Xan @ 2013-09-21 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,

In LaTeX:

http://osl.ugr.es/CTAN/info/symbols/comprehensive/symbols-a4.pdf

\diameter produces a diameter symbol. What is the equivalent in ConTeXt?

Is there any compilation of symbols avaliable in ConTeXt? I can't find no references.

Xan.

* Re: diameter symbol in ConTeXt?
@ 2013-09-21 15:14 ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-09-21 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–09–21 Xan wrote:

> \diameter produces a diameter symbol. What is the equivalent in ConTeXt?

  ⌀ or \varnothing

Have a look at char-def.lua for a list of context names for various
glyphs. It might make sense to enable the fonts.missing tracker.
Then ConTeXt warns you that a particular glyph is not available.

  \enabletrackers [fonts.missing]

> Is there any compilation of symbols avaliable in ConTeXt?

Not that I'm aware of. In ConTeXt you have easy access to all
characters of any font¹. Either input the character directly if it's
present in the current font or you can create a symbol:

\definefontsynonym
  [minion]
  [name:minionproregular]

\definesymbol
  [leaf]
  [\getnamedglyphdirect
    {minion}
    {bullet.010}]

\starttext
  Foo \symbol[leaf] Bar
\stoptext

Marco

¹ http://tex.stackexchange.com/a/87563/5245

* Re: diameter symbol in ConTeXt?
@ 2013-09-21 15:16   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-09-21 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013, Marco Patzer wrote:

>> Is there any compilation of symbols avaliable in ConTeXt?
>
> Not that I'm aware of. In ConTeXt you have easy access to all
> characters of any font¹. Either input the character directly if it's
> present in the current font or you can create a symbol:

Or send a pull request for missing csnames in char-def.lua.

Aditya

* Re: diameter symbol in ConTeXt?
@ 2013-09-21 15:37 ` Xan
From: Xan @ 2013-09-21 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 2013–09–21 Xan wrote:
>
> > \diameter produces a diameter symbol. What is the equivalent in ConTeXt?
>
>   ⌀ or \varnothing

Really varnothing is not the same as diameter (see the reference of LaTeX I posted before)

> Have a look at char-def.lua for a list of context names for various
> glyphs. It might make sense to enable the fonts.missing tracker.
> Then ConTeXt warns you that a particular glyph is not available.
>
>   \enabletrackers [fonts.missing]
>
> > Is there any compilation of symbols avaliable in ConTeXt?
>
> Not that I'm aware of. In ConTeXt you have easy access to all
> characters of any font¹. Either input the character directly if it's
> present in the current font or you can create a symbol:
>
> \definefontsynonym
>   [minion]
>   [name:minionproregular]
>
> \definesymbol
>   [leaf]
>   [\getnamedglyphdirect
>     {minion}
>     {bullet.010}]
>
> \starttext
>   Foo \symbol[leaf] Bar
> \stoptext
>
> Marco

How can I define symbol with unicode equivalent? \diameter really is U+2300 I think.

Thanks,

@ 2013-09-21 16:25   ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-09-21 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–09–21 Xan wrote:

> > On 2013–09–21 Xan wrote:
> >
> > > \diameter produces a diameter symbol. What is the equivalent in ConTeXt?
> >
> >   ⌀ or \varnothing
>

> Really varnothing is not the same as diameter (see the reference of LaTeX I posted before)

  \def\diameter{\char"2300}

> How can I define symbol with unicode equivalent?

  \definesymbol [diameter] [⌀]

> \diameter really is U+2300 I think.

Diameter is U+2300, indeed. And that's exactly what I wrote in my
previous mail ⌀ or \varnothing.

Marco

* Re: diameter symbol in ConTeXt?
@ 2013-09-21 16:38   ` Xan
From: Xan @ 2013-09-21 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Really varnothing is not the same as diameter (see the reference of LaTeX I posted before)
>
>   \def\diameter{\char"2300}

This (\char"2300) is really what I want.

Sorry if I don't understand you.

@ 2013-09-21 16:43     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-09-21 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013, Marco Patzer wrote:

> On 2013–09–21 Xan wrote:
>
>> \diameter really is U+2300 I think.
>
> Diameter is U+2300, indeed. And that's exactly what I wrote in my
> previous mail ⌀ or \varnothing.

Hans, could you add the following to char-def.lua

  [0x2300]={
   category="so",
   description="DIAMETER SIGN",
   direction="on",
   linebreak="al",
   mathspec={
    { class="ord", name="varnothing" },
    { class="ord", name="diameter" },
   },
   unicodeslot=0x2300,
  },

Aditya

* Re: diameter symbol in ConTeXt?
@ 2013-09-21 16:48     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-09-21 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 21.09.2013 um 18:25 schrieb Marco Patzer <lists@homerow.info>:

>>>  ⌀ or \varnothing
>>

>> Really varnothing is not the same as diameter (see the reference of LaTeX I posted before)
>
>  \def\diameter{\char"2300}

Add a space or \relax after the number to prevent TeX from reading the next character
in the input which can result in the wrong output (see output for \one).

\defineexpandable\one  {\char"41}
\defineexpandable\two  {\char"41 }
\defineexpandable\three{\char"41\relax}
\defineexpandable\four {\utfchar{"41}}

\setupbodyfont[cambria]

\starttext
1: \one   3\par
2: \two   3\par
3: \three 3\par
4: \four  3
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: diameter symbol in ConTeXt?
@ 2013-09-21 20:11   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-09-21 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 9/21/2013 5:14 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:
> On 2013–09–21 Xan wrote:
>
>> \diameter produces a diameter symbol. What is the equivalent in ConTeXt?
>
>    ⌀ or \varnothing
>
> Have a look at char-def.lua for a list of context names for various
> glyphs. It might make sense to enable the fonts.missing tracker.
> Then ConTeXt warns you that a particular glyph is not available.
>
>    \enabletrackers [fonts.missing]
>
>> Is there any compilation of symbols avaliable in ConTeXt?

there are several styles for that: s-math-* for either single fonts or
comparing font coverage

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE