Hi Hans, this got posted on the DANTE list today. \definefontfeature [quite_wide] [extend=1.5] \definefont [mainfont] [file:Iwona-Regular.otf] \definefont [widefont] [file:Iwona-Regular.otf*quite_wide] \starttext \mainfont {\widefont foo} %% comment this line and “bar” is fine bar {\widefont baz} \stoptext The example defines two fonts with the same base font. If the scaled variant is used before the regular one then the latter will appear scaled as well and the spacing (bboxes?) gets messed up. I suspect a relation to this old issue: http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=829 but if I substitute “slant” for “extend” the behavior is different. Best, Philipp