········· > On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 11:20:52AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote: > > On 10/1/2013 10:05 AM, Marco Patzer wrote: > > >On 2013–09–30 Hans Hagen wrote: > > > > > >>these are unrelated mechanisms where the first one just does some > > >>pdf magic ... no feedback to tex about widths (ok, i could write > > >>something better but never had and still don't have a reason for > > >>that kind of low level pdf based approach to be really deeply > > >>integrated) > > > > > >Thanks for the explanation. I was looking for a way to do slight > > >letter spacing without breaking ligatures and thought I could > > >leverage the stretch effect for that. > > > > well, we break ligatures because ligatures make no sense in that > > kind of kerned text (if they make sense at all, but that's a > > different issue > > Some ligatures should not be broken in letter-spaced text, typically > represented by rlig in OpenType, e.g. Fraktur ch, ck, ſt and tz > ligatures: > http://unifraktur.sourceforge.net/letterspacing.html When using the characterkerning method you can exempt ligatures and character pairs from being letterspaced by defining the functions typesetters.kerns.keepligature () and typesetters.kerns.keeptogether (, ), respectively. If the function returns a truish value for the given input, ligatures won’t be decomposed and no extra kerning will be applied. Best regards Philipp