* hyphenate urls in a non hyphenated text
@ 2013-10-08 14:34 Stéphanie Vilayphiou
From: Stéphanie Vilayphiou @ 2013-10-08 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,
I'm making a flushleft document with no hyphenation. However, URLs are
then not hyphenated either and end up in the margin.

\hyphenateurl{} works only when setupalign[] is set to hyphenated.

Is there a way to hyphenate only URLs?

Thanks,
Stéphanie

--
----
Stéphanie Vilayphiou

* Re: hyphenate urls in a non hyphenated text
@ 2013-10-08 17:04 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-10-08 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 10/8/2013 4:34 PM, Stéphanie Vilayphiou wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm making a flushleft document with no hyphenation. However, URLs are
> then not hyphenated either and end up in the margin.
>
> \hyphenateurl{} works only when setupalign[] is set to hyphenated.
>
> Is there a way to hyphenate only URLs?

You need to provide a few more options to \setupalign:

\starttext

\appendtoks\tttf\to\everyhyphenatedurl % maybe we need a proper setup

\setupalign[nothyphenated,stretch,tolerant]

I wonder how stable these youtube links are but nevertheless youtube is
a nice
way to find new artists. Some only perform (mostly) at this medium, like
\hyphenatedurl {http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI0fyOaD94Y} also to be
seen in
\hyphenatedurl {http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIJPxxoF7dw} and
\hyphenatedurl
{http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2i7TkGwOCw} (beware, you can spend days
watching
this once you see what's going on). Videos like \hyphenatedurl
{http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CombsS6vFc} trigger you to visit
concerts. Or this one
\hyphenatedurl {http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ0ImaGUYZo} (you have to
him live!)
also to be seen in \hyphenatedurl
{http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgzQ_e2huJQ} (a series).

Also, once you start looking up some specific artists it can trigger you in
buying all dvd's and many cd's on where they perform, like \hyphenatedurl
{http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6YooxOTsus}, \hyphenatedurl
{http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hdxYW2YODE}, and \hyphenatedurl
{http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su8ztwNbIsU}. beware, watching the
interviews
with him and and watching his instructional videos changes the way you
listen to
some music. And then there are those videos (but of course I use the dvds
eventually) that are great while pondering and writing new code, take
\hyphenatedurl {http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umyB1QDP5PM}. Then there
are those
channels, like \hyphenatedurl
{http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeBonamassaTV?feature=watch}, that make
you buy
even more disks, this time I bought blu-rays (forcing me to buy a player
too). I could
on for ages but I now have enough links for testing.

\stoptext

Well, it renders okay, but one can debate of it looks pretty. Let's hope
that you might use ragged right rendering. Urls will always be kind of
ugly anyway.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-10-08 17:35   ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-10-08 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–10–08 Hans Hagen wrote:

> >\hyphenateurl{} works only when setupalign[] is set to hyphenated.
> >
> >Is there a way to hyphenate only URLs?
>
> You need to provide a few more options to \setupalign:

Why?

> \appendtoks\tttf\to\everyhyphenatedurl % maybe we need a proper setup

Isn't that what \url is for? It has a setup command and uses
\hyphenatedurl.

> \setupalign[nothyphenated,stretch,tolerant]

This does not only change how URLs are typeset, but it also affects
the main text, which might not be desirable.

> […]

I don't see a single hyphenated URL in your result. The OP failing
to provide a minimal example, let me provide my interpretation of
the problem:

\useurl
  [somelink]
  [http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/a-former-book-designer-says-good-riddance-to-print/?hpw&_r=0]

\setupalign
  [nothyphenated]

\starttext
  \url [somelink]
  \input knuth
\stoptext

I don't know how to start and stop hyphenation within a paragraph.
Allowing hyphenation for the entire paragraph is easy.

Marco

* Re: hyphenate urls in a non hyphenated text
@ 2013-10-08 18:33     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-10-08 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 10/8/2013 7:35 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:
> On 2013–10–08 Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>>> \hyphenateurl{} works only when setupalign[] is set to hyphenated.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to hyphenate only URLs?
>>
>> You need to provide a few more options to \setupalign:
>
> Why?
>
>> \appendtoks\tttf\to\everyhyphenatedurl % maybe we need a proper setup
>
> Isn't that what \url is for? It has a setup command and uses
> \hyphenatedurl.

sure, but it forces one to use \url which is not always an option (if
there are thousands embedded in the text)

>> \setupalign[nothyphenated,stretch,tolerant]
>
> This does not only change how URLs are typeset, but it also affects
> the main text, which might not be desirable.

I got the impression that it concerned a whole document (we sometimes
have that demand, but normally those have no urls anyway)

>> […]
>
> I don't see a single hyphenated URL in your result. The OP failing
> to provide a minimal example, let me provide my interpretation of
> the problem:

This is more visible

\appendtoks\tttf\to\everyhyphenatedurl
\lefthyphenmin=100 \righthyphenmin=100

maybe this is s better definition of nohyphens:

\unexpanded\def\nohyphens
   {\ifx\dohyphens\relax
      \unexpanded\edef\dohyphens
        {\lefthyphenmin\the\lefthyphenmin
         \righthyphenmin\the\righthyphenmin
         \relax}%
    \fi
    \lefthyphenmin\maxdimen
    \righthyphenmin\maxdimen}

> \useurl
>    [somelink]
>    [http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/a-former-book-designer-says-good-riddance-to-print/?hpw&_r=0]
>
> \setupalign
>    [nothyphenated]
>
> \starttext
>    \url [somelink]
>    \input knuth
> \stoptext
>
> I don't know how to start and stop hyphenation within a paragraph.
> Allowing hyphenation for the entire paragraph is easy.

needs a bit it tinkering, maybe this is nicer:

\unprotect

\unexpanded\def\nohyphens
   {\ifx\dohyphens\relax
      \unexpanded\edef\dohyphens
        {\hyphenminoffset\the\hyphenminoffset\relax
         \lang_basics_synchronize_min_max}%
    \fi
    \hyphenminoffset\plusthousand
    \lang_basics_synchronize_min_max}

\protect

as it syncs nicely with languages too (characters carry left and right
values so inline changes are possible)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-10-08 19:27       ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-10-08 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2013–10–08 Hans Hagen wrote:

> >>You need to provide a few more options to \setupalign:
> >
> >Why?
> >
> >>\appendtoks\tttf\to\everyhyphenatedurl % maybe we need a proper setup
> >
> >Isn't that what \url is for? It has a setup command and uses
> >\hyphenatedurl.
>
> sure, but it forces one to use \url which is not always an option
> (if there are thousands embedded in the text)

Valid point.

> >I don't see a single hyphenated URL in your result. The OP failing
> >to provide a minimal example, let me provide my interpretation of
> >the problem:
>
> This is more visible
>
> \appendtoks\tttf\to\everyhyphenatedurl
> \lefthyphenmin=100 \righthyphenmin=100

You URLs still don't hyphenate. Maybe we're misunderstanding each
other here.

> maybe this is s better definition of nohyphens:
>

> \unexpanded\def\nohyphens
>   {\ifx\dohyphens\relax
>      \unexpanded\edef\dohyphens
>        {\lefthyphenmin\the\lefthyphenmin
>         \righthyphenmin\the\righthyphenmin
>         \relax}%
>    \fi
>    \lefthyphenmin\maxdimen
>    \righthyphenmin\maxdimen}
>
> […]
>
> needs a bit it tinkering, maybe this is nicer:
>
> \unprotect
>
> \unexpanded\def\nohyphens
>   {\ifx\dohyphens\relax
>      \unexpanded\edef\dohyphens
>        {\hyphenminoffset\the\hyphenminoffset\relax
>         \lang_basics_synchronize_min_max}%
>    \fi
>    \hyphenminoffset\plusthousand
>    \lang_basics_synchronize_min_max}
>
> \protect
>
> as it syncs nicely with languages too (characters carry left and
> right values so inline changes are possible)

That looks good. The OP should test it on his document.

However, it has the implication that URLs are always hyphenated, as
far as I can tell. But it is in fact a practical solution which is
certainly what the user wants in almost all of the cases. I never
had a document where URLs protruding into the margin was desired.

Marco

* Re: hyphenate urls in a non hyphenated text
@ 2013-10-08 20:29         ` Stéphanie Vilayphiou
From: Stéphanie Vilayphiou @ 2013-10-08 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
thank you for your answers.
As Marco stated, the first minimal example you gave didn't hyphenate URLs.

I'd like to try a minimal example of your second email, Hans, but I
can't figure out how to use those functions?
Can you make another minimal example so that I can understand better how
this works?
Thank you,
Stéphanie

@ 2013-10-08 20:37           ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-10-08 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2013–10–08 Stéphanie Vilayphiou wrote:

> I'd like to try a minimal example of your second email, Hans, but I
> can't figure out how to use those functions?
> Can you make another minimal example so that I can understand better
> how this works?

It's sufficient to copy-paste the code into your document. Note that
the redefined code has do precede \setupalign.

\unprotect
\unexpanded\def\nohyphens
  {\ifx\dohyphens\relax
     \unexpanded\edef\dohyphens
       {\hyphenminoffset\the\hyphenminoffset\relax
        \lang_basics_synchronize_min_max}%
   \fi
   \hyphenminoffset\plusthousand
   \lang_basics_synchronize_min_max}
\protect

\setupalign
  [nothyphenated]

\starttext
  \hyphenatedurl{http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/a-former-book-designer-says-good-riddance-to-print/?hpw&_r=0}
  \input knuth
\stoptext

Marco

* Re: hyphenate urls in a non hyphenated text
@ 2013-10-08 22:01             ` Stéphanie Vilayphiou
From: Stéphanie Vilayphiou @ 2013-10-08 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ah ok, I tried it in Context live first and it didn't output a PDF, but
it works like a charm on my server.
See an example here, page 24:
http://esadgv.stdin.fr/media/pdf/esad-gv_catalogue_2012-2013.pdf
Thanks a lot for your help!
Stéphanie

École Supérieure d'Art et Design, www.esad-gv.fr — 25 rue Lesdiguières,

@ 2013-10-08 22:27               ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2013-10-08 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2013–10–09 Stéphanie Vilayphiou wrote:

> Ah ok, I tried it in Context live first and it didn't output a PDF,

ConTeXt live runs 2012.05.30 11:26. However, the hyphenation
macros were redone in beta 2013.03.04 18:28 and macros such as

  \sethyphenationvariables

were replaced by

  \lang_basics_synchronize_min_max

Hans' first suggestion should work on older versions as well:

@ 2013-10-08 23:09               ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-10-08 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 9 Oct 2013, Stéphanie Vilayphiou wrote:

> Ah ok, I tried it in Context live first and it didn't output a PDF, but
> it works like a charm on my server.
> See an example here, page 24:
> http://esadgv.stdin.fr/media/pdf/esad-gv_catalogue_2012-2013.pdf

Why does context break urls **before** slash, hyphen, and dot. Isn't it
better to break urls **after** these symbols?

Aditya

* Re: hyphenate urls in a non hyphenated text
@ 2013-10-09  8:45                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-10-09  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 10/9/2013 1:09 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Oct 2013, Stéphanie Vilayphiou wrote:
>
>> Ah ok, I tried it in Context live first and it didn't output a PDF,
>> but it works like a charm on my server.
>> See an example here, page 24:
>> http://esadgv.stdin.fr/media/pdf/esad-gv_catalogue_2012-2013.pdf
>
> Why does context break urls **before** slash, hyphen, and dot. Isn't it
> better to break urls **after** these symbols?

because when they end up in front of a line, it's more likely that they
belong to the previous while for instance a period at the end of a line
could also be ending a line.

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE