* Using lua with the command line for "macros"
@ 2013-10-14  1:01 Kumar Appaiah
From: Kumar Appaiah @ 2013-10-14  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi.

At the outset, I understand that this is a slight abuse of LuaTeX and
this can be done with plain TeX. Nevertheless, I'd like to see if a
solution exists for this approach.

I'm trying to use Lua with ConTeXt as a macro preprocessor. To be more
clear, I have files A.lua, B.lua which define some variables:

A.lua:
var1 = "something for a"
var2 = "something else for a"

B.lua:
var1 = "something for b"
var2 = "something else for b"

And, in my ConTeXt file, I would write:
…
I will get \directlua{tex.print(var1) and \directlua{tex.print(var2)}.
…

Now, with lualatex, I use the --lua command line option to pass the
initial lua file name. However, for context, I've not found a way to
do this. Could someone please advise me?

Thanks.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah

* Re: Using lua with the command line for "macros"
@ 2013-10-14  1:17 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-10-14  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 3:01 AM, Kumar Appaiah <a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in>wrote:

> Hi.
>
> At the outset, I understand that this is a slight abuse of LuaTeX and
> this can be done with plain TeX. Nevertheless, I'd like to see if a
> solution exists for this approach.
>
> I'm trying to use Lua with ConTeXt as a macro preprocessor. To be more
> clear, I have files A.lua, B.lua which define some variables:
>
> A.lua:
> var1 = "something for a"
> var2 = "something else for a"
>
> B.lua:
> var1 = "something for b"
> var2 = "something else for b"
>
> And, in my ConTeXt file, I would write:
> …
> I will get \directlua{tex.print(var1) and \directlua{tex.print(var2)}.
> …
>
> Now, with lualatex, I use the --lua command line option to pass the
> initial lua file name. However, for context, I've not found a way to
> do this. Could someone please advise me?

Have you seen
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/cld-mkiv.pdf
?
--
luigi

* Re: Using lua with the command line for "macros"
@ 2013-10-14  1:31   ` Kumar Appaiah
From: Kumar Appaiah @ 2013-10-14  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 03:17:28AM +0200, luigi scarso wrote:
>    On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 3:01 AM, Kumar Appaiah
>    <[1]a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:
>
>      Hi.
>
>      At the outset, I understand that this is a slight abuse of LuaTeX and
>      this can be done with plain TeX. Nevertheless, I'd like to see if a
>      solution exists for this approach.
[snip]

>    Have you seen
>    [2]http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/cld-mkiv.pdf

No, I haven't seen it. I'll have a close look at it. Thanks for the
pointer.

Kumar
--

@ 2013-10-14  2:48     ` Kumar Appaiah
From: Kumar Appaiah @ 2013-10-14  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 09:31:11PM -0400, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 03:17:28AM +0200, luigi scarso wrote:
> >    Have you seen
> >    [2]http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/cld-mkiv.pdf
>
> No, I haven't seen it. I'll have a close look at it. Thanks for the
> pointer.

Well, upon reading the document you suggested, I just realised that I
could work around my issue by creating A.tex and B.tex as follows:

A.tex:
\startluacode
 -- define A's variables
\stopluacode
\input generic

And a similar b.tex. This is more flexible in terms of my
implementation constraints as well.

Thanks.

Kumar
--

@ 2013-10-14  7:47       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-10-14  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 10/14/2013 4:48 AM, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 09:31:11PM -0400, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 03:17:28AM +0200, luigi scarso wrote:
>>>     Have you seen
>>>     [2]http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/cld-mkiv.pdf
>>
>> No, I haven't seen it. I'll have a close look at it. Thanks for the
>> pointer.
>
> Well, upon reading the document you suggested, I just realised that I
> could work around my issue by creating A.tex and B.tex as follows:
>
> A.tex:
> \startluacode
>   -- define A's variables
> \stopluacode
> \input generic
>
> And a similar b.tex. This is more flexible in terms of my
> implementation constraints as well.

if you make a file "whatever.cld" like:

local name = "ward.tex"

context.starttext()
     context.title(name)
     context.blank()
     context.input(name)
context.stoptext()

you can directly runt it with the "context" command.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-10-14 11:45         ` Kumar Appaiah
From: Kumar Appaiah @ 2013-10-14 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 09:47:49AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >Well, upon reading the document you suggested, I just realised that I
> >could work around my issue by creating A.tex and B.tex as follows:
> >
> >A.tex:
> >\startluacode
> >  -- define A's variables
> >\stopluacode
> >\input generic
> >
> >And a similar b.tex. This is more flexible in terms of my
> >implementation constraints as well.
>
> if you make a file "whatever.cld" like:
>
> local name = "ward.tex"
>
> context.starttext()
>     context.title(name)
>     context.blank()
>     context.input(name)
> context.stoptext()
>
> you can directly runt it with the "context" command.

Thanks Hans. This is a cleaner solution; I'll adopt it in the next
document I am writing today.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah