* dejavu: inline math fraction spacing too tight?
@ 2013-10-23 16:44 Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2013-10-23 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Using the dejavu font, inline math fractions (e.g. $a/b$) look to me to
be spaced too tightly. Below are some minimal examples:

\setupbodyfont [dejavu,12pt]
\starttext
$a/b$

$1/2$

$π/3$
\stoptext

Is this indeed the desired spacing? What do others think?

Thanks.

Alan

* Re: dejavu: inline math fraction spacing too tight?
       [not found]       ` <20131026085337.17c9e1df@iram-hb-003386.extra.cea.fr>
@ 2013-10-26 13:22         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-10-26 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/26/2013 3:53 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> Unicode sure makes things easy:
>
> U+002F	/	SOLIDUS	SLASH
> U+2044	⁄	FRACTION SLASH
> U+2215	∕	DIVISION SLASH
> U+FF0F	/	FULLWIDTH SOLIDUS	FULLWIDTH SLASH
>
> Of course, we key in ascii / (0x2f).
>  From how these display (in DejaVu monospace), I would think that the
> division slash is what should be used.

I can revert to 002F and (if needed make a patch in lfg files) but
you're right with respect to xits and 2215 (002F does not have a
descender which looks somewhat weird).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-10-26 12:06       ` Khaled Hosny
       [not found]       ` <20131026085337.17c9e1df@iram-hb-003386.extra.cea.fr>
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2013-10-26 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 07:49:59AM +0900, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 10/25/2013 5:57 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> >>it looks like a font issue to me .. i could hack a solution but prefer not
> >>to do that (the less exceptions we have the better)
> >
> >Not a font issue. ConTeXt is using the fraction slash (which is intended
> >to be used with vulgar fractions) not the regular slash.
>
> the problem is that (last time i looked into this) all math fonts had it
> differently so i (for the moment) setteld on it

I'd use the regular slash and consider fonts without a proper one
(depends on what you expect from the slash) to be broken. Incidentally,
unicode-math package provide an option to select which slash character
to use because of this.

Regards,
Khaled

* Re: dejavu: inline math fraction spacing too tight?
@ 2013-10-25 22:49     ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]       ` <20131026085337.17c9e1df@iram-hb-003386.extra.cea.fr>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-10-25 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2013-10-25  8:57   ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2013-10-25  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2013-10-25  8:26       ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2013-10-25  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:14:45 +0200
Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster@gmail.com> wrote:

> > So, who can fix the font issue?
> > (tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/xits/xits-math.otf)
>
> https://github.com/khaledhosny/xits-math/issues

OK, reported to Khaled.

@ 2013-10-25  8:14     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-10-25  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 25.10.2013 um 10:08 schrieb Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr>:

> On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 07:23:43 +0900
> Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> it looks like a font issue to me .. i could hack a solution but prefer
>> not to do that (the less exceptions we have the better)
>>
>> Hans
>
> So, who can fix the font issue?
> (tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/xits/xits-math.otf)

https://github.com/khaledhosny/xits-math/issues

Wolfgang

* Re: dejavu: inline math fraction spacing too tight?
@ 2013-10-25  8:08   ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2013-10-25  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2013-10-24 22:23 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-10-24 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2013-10-24  5:46 "H. Özoguz"
From: "H. Özoguz" @ 2013-10-24  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> \setupbodyfont [dejavu,12pt]
> \starttext
> $a/b$
>
> $1/2$
>
> $π/3$
> \stoptext
>
> Is this indeed the desired spacing? What do others think?
>
> Thanks.

I think you are right, I don't know if this is really desired, but I
don't think so. Escpecially one gets problems with "2" in the denominator.

\setupbodyfont [dejavu,12pt]
\starttext
$1/2$

$1\,/\,2$
\stoptext

The second hand-tuned example is obviously nicer.

Huseyin