* bibliography - maybeyear
@ 2013-11-20  8:12 Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2013-11-20  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Using
  \setuppublications [alternative=num]
for example, should not append letters to the publication years when
encountering multiple publications by the same author(s) per year.

So, in the use of bibliographies, I have not understood how to control
\maybeyear.

In the bibl-xxx.tex files, it is defined as
  \def\maybeyear#1{#1}
or
  \def\maybeyear#1{}
as needed. Perhaps this is for mkii.

In bibl-bib.mkiv, one has
  \appendtoks
     \doifelse{\bibtexpublicationsparameter\c!maybeyear}\v!off
       {\let\maybeyear\gobbleoneargument}
       {\let\maybeyear\firstofoneargument}%
  \to \everysetupbibtexlistplacement
which seems to then use the keyword maybeyear.

I guess that
  \setupbibtexpublications [maybeyear=off]
in my source would turn off the appended letters, but this is not
correct. I have tried many variants (\setuppublications, \setupbibtex).
What am I misunderstanding? Or is this a bug?

Alan

* Re: bibliography - maybeyear
@ 2013-11-20 12:38 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-11-20 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/20/2013 9:12 AM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Using
>    \setuppublications [alternative=num]
> for example, should not append letters to the publication years when
> encountering multiple publications by the same author(s) per year.
>
> So, in the use of bibliographies, I have not understood how to control
> \maybeyear.
>
> In the bibl-xxx.tex files, it is defined as
>    \def\maybeyear#1{#1}
> or
>    \def\maybeyear#1{}
> as needed. Perhaps this is for mkii.
>
> In bibl-bib.mkiv, one has
>    \appendtoks
>       \doifelse{\bibtexpublicationsparameter\c!maybeyear}\v!off
>         {\let\maybeyear\gobbleoneargument}
>         {\let\maybeyear\firstofoneargument}%
>    \to \everysetupbibtexlistplacement
> which seems to then use the keyword maybeyear.
>
> I guess that
>    \setupbibtexpublications [maybeyear=off]
> in my source would turn off the appended letters, but this is not
> correct. I have tried many variants (\setuppublications, \setupbibtex).
> What am I misunderstanding? Or is this a bug?

example needed

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: bibliography - maybeyear
@ 2013-11-20 12:53   ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2013-11-20 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 13:38:16 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> example needed

Of course:

\setupbibtex [database=test]
\setuppublications [alternative=num]
\starttext
\cite [Peirce1878V,Peirce1878VI]

\placepublications [criterium=text]
\stoptext

test.bib:

@ARTICLE{Peirce1878V,
  author = {Peirce, C. S.},
  title = {Illustrations of the logic of science. {F}ifth paper – The order
	of nature},
  journal = {Popular Science Monthly},
  year = {1878},
  volume = {9},
  pages = {203–217}
}
@ARTICLE{Peirce1878VI,
  author = {Peirce, C. S.},
  title = {Illustrations of the logic of science. {S}ixth paper – Deduction,
	induction, and hypothesis},
  journal = {Popular Science Monthly},
  year = {1878},
  volume = {9},
  pages = {470–482}
}

* Re: bibliography - maybeyear
@ 2013-11-28 17:37 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-11-28 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/20/2013 9:12 AM, Alan Braslau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Using
>    \setuppublications [alternative=num]
> for example, should not append letters to the publication years when
> encountering multiple publications by the same author(s) per year.
>
> So, in the use of bibliographies, I have not understood how to control
> \maybeyear.
>
> In the bibl-xxx.tex files, it is defined as
>    \def\maybeyear#1{#1}
> or
>    \def\maybeyear#1{}
> as needed. Perhaps this is for mkii.
>
> In bibl-bib.mkiv, one has
>    \appendtoks
>       \doifelse{\bibtexpublicationsparameter\c!maybeyear}\v!off
>         {\let\maybeyear\gobbleoneargument}
>         {\let\maybeyear\firstofoneargument}%
>    \to \everysetupbibtexlistplacement
> which seems to then use the keyword maybeyear.
>
> I guess that
>    \setupbibtexpublications [maybeyear=off]
> in my source would turn off the appended letters, but this is not
> correct. I have tried many variants (\setuppublications, \setupbibtex).
> What am I misunderstanding? Or is this a bug?

\setuppublicationlist
   [maybeyear=off]

you can deduce that from \bibtexpublicationsparameter which you can read as

\<bibtexpublications>parameter

i.e. it is bound to \setup<bibtexpublications>

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: bibliography - maybeyear
@ 2013-11-29 11:22   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2013-11-29 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/28/2013 06:37 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Using
>>    \setuppublications [alternative=num]
>> for example, should not append letters to the publication years when
>> encountering multiple publications by the same author(s) per year.
>>
>> So, in the use of bibliographies, I have not understood how to control
>> \maybeyear.
>>
>> In the bibl-xxx.tex files, it is defined as
>>    \def\maybeyear#1{#1}
>> or
>>    \def\maybeyear#1{}
>> as needed. Perhaps this is for mkii.
>>
>> In bibl-bib.mkiv, one has
>>    \appendtoks
>>       \doifelse{\bibtexpublicationsparameter\c!maybeyear}\v!off
>>         {\let\maybeyear\gobbleoneargument}
>>         {\let\maybeyear\firstofoneargument}%
>>    \to \everysetupbibtexlistplacement
>> which seems to then use the keyword maybeyear.
>>
>> I guess that
>>    \setupbibtexpublications [maybeyear=off]
>> in my source would turn off the appended letters, but this is not
>> correct. I have tried many variants (\setuppublications, \setupbibtex).
>> What am I misunderstanding? Or is this a bug?
>
> \setuppublicationlist
>    [maybeyear=off]

maybeyear is one of the areas that need fixing. The simple on/off
mechanism is not sufficient, because the behavior needs to be more complex:

1. If the citation style does not use the year as a key, do not append
letters.

2. If the citation style uses year as key and only one publication/year
of an author is quoted and listed (even if there are several in the bib
file) do not append letter.

3. Append letter if citation style uses year AND more than one
publication/year for given author is quoted and listed.

I assume that in order for this to work, Hans will have to rewrite the
code which produces the .bbl file from the bib. Right now, AFAICS, the
.bbl contains the entire .bib database. It should only contain the
entries which are cited.

Alan, does that make sense to you?

Thomas

* Re: bibliography - maybeyear
@ 2013-11-29 21:20     ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2013-11-29 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 12:22:54 +0100
"Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> maybeyear is one of the areas that need fixing. The simple on/off
> mechanism is not sufficient, because the behavior needs to be more
> complex:
>
> 1. If the citation style does not use the year as a key, do not
> append letters.
>
> 2. If the citation style uses year as key and only one
> publication/year of an author is quoted and listed (even if there are
> several in the bib file) do not append letter.
>
> 3. Append letter if citation style uses year AND more than one
> publication/year for given author is quoted and listed.
>
> I assume that in order for this to work, Hans will have to rewrite
> the code which produces the .bbl file from the bib. Right now,
> AFAICS, the .bbl contains the entire .bib database. It should only
> contain the entries which are cited.
>
> Alan, does that make sense to you?

Yes

Perhaps the .bbl could contain the entire .bib database with the
filtering taking place then in lua/ConTeXt. How this is handled
internally is a programming, not a user issue.

I do agree with your assessment of when to and when not to append a
letter to the year as listed.

Alan