* luatex lunatic
@ 2013-12-18 22:16 DesdeChaves
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: DesdeChaves @ 2013-12-18 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear sirs
I would like to try luatex lunatic (
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Luigi.scarso/luatex_lunatic) but i d'ont
find the luatex-0.42. I'm looking in
https://foundry.supelec.fr/frs/?group_id=10&release_id=406#luatex-beta-0.76.0-title-content

I've been looking for a way to simulate data with different distributions
(normal, poisson, exponential, etc.) in the .tex file. The use of GSL
library is a good option, but it seems impossible to import in luatex.
Another way is using the  R-statistical through filter module***, which
seems to work well in luatex. At this time I would try to import the GSL
functions through  python script. For that i think that i need the older
luatex 0.42 but I don't find that.

***
\defineexternalfilter
  [R]
  [
     filtercommand={R CMD BATCH -q --save --restore
\externalfilterinputfile\space \externalfilteroutputfile},
     output=\externalfilterbasefile.out,
     directory=output,
     readcommand=\typefile,
     read=no,
     cache=yes,
   ]

Jorge

* Re: luatex lunatic
@ 2013-12-18 23:42 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-12-18 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/18/2013 11:16 PM, DesdeChaves wrote:
> Dear sirs
> I would like to try luatex lunatic
> (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Luigi.scarso/luatex_lunatic) but i
> d'ont find the luatex-0.42. I'm looking in
> https://foundry.supelec.fr/frs/?group_id=10&release_id=406#luatex-beta-0.76.0-title-content

the lunatic version was an sort of joke for the conference .. in the
meantime luigi moved away from python so don't expect too much

> I've been looking for a way to simulate data with different
> distributions (normal, poisson, exponential, etc.) in the .tex file. The
> use of GSL library is a good option, but it seems impossible to import
> in luatex. Another way is using the  R-statistical through filter
> module***, which seems to work well in luatex. At this time I would try
> to import the GSL functions through  python script. For that i think
> that i need the older luatex 0.42 but I don't find that.

*** that's probably a better approach as it also prevents redundant runs

> ***
> \defineexternalfilter
>    [R]
>    [
>       filtercommand={R CMD BATCH -q --save --restore
> \externalfilterinputfile\space \externalfilteroutputfile},
>       output=\externalfilterbasefile.out,
>       directory=output,
>       readcommand=\typefile,
>       read=no,
>       cache=yes,
>     ]
>

> Jorge

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: luatex lunatic
@ 2013-12-18 23:51 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-12-18 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM, DesdeChaves <desdechaves@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear sirs
> I would like to try luatex lunatic (
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Luigi.scarso/luatex_lunatic) but i
> d'ont find the luatex-0.42. I'm looking in
> https://foundry.supelec.fr/frs/?group_id=10&release_id=406#luatex-beta-0.76.0-title-content
>
> I've been looking for a way to simulate data with different distributions
> (normal, poisson, exponential, etc.) in the .tex file. The use of GSL
> library is a good option, but it seems impossible to import in luatex.
> Another way is using the  R-statistical through filter module***, which
> seems to work well in luatex. At this time I would try to import the GSL
> functions through  python script. For that i think that i need the older
> luatex 0.42 but I don't find that.
>
> ***
> \defineexternalfilter
>   [R]
>   [
>      filtercommand={R CMD BATCH -q --save --restore
> \externalfilterinputfile\space \externalfilteroutputfile},
>      output=\externalfilterbasefile.out,
>      directory=output,
>      readcommand=\typefile,
>      read=no,
>      cache=yes,
>    ]
>

> Jorge
>
> I'm sorry to say that I cannot help you  with luatex lunatic, luatex 0.42
is too old and today there are other ways to build wrappers . I can suggest
to see SWIG (http://www.swig.org),  there is a very good section on  Lua.
In any case the filter module that you use is often  a reliable
alternative to connect to external programs, so the problem
is often to be sure to have a good program. In your case you can also write
a python script that uses that gsl module (if there is such module, I
don't  know exactly) and then call python by mean of the filter module.

--
luigi

* Re: luatex lunatic
@ 2013-12-19  6:29 ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2013-12-19  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now that we have double-precision mathematics in MetaPost, you can
easily make calculations directly in MetaPost. You can also make such
calculations directly in lua without relying on libraries as the
functions are rather simple.

Alan

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 22:16:45 +0000

--