* Disable balancing of page bottoms
@ 2014-01-14 22:26 Joshua Krämer
From: Joshua Krämer @ 2014-01-14 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-wvrSQK3plZs

Dear list!

Context (Mk IV) balances the bottoms of doublesided pages, even if I
use \raggedbottom.  How can I disable this?  I'm thinking of something
like "balance=no" for columns, only for pages.

My problem is that I have a one-page float (rotated table) with the size
of the textheight.  The opposite page is not completely filled with
text, which makes context crop the height of the page with the float,
too, resulting in a shift of the float into the upper margin.  That's
why I want to disable balancing.

Kind regards,
Joshua Krämer

* Re: Disable balancing of page bottoms
@ 2014-01-15 10:53 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-01-15 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 1/14/2014 11:26 PM, Joshua Krämer wrote:
> Dear list!
>
> Context (Mk IV) balances the bottoms of doublesided pages, even if I
> use \raggedbottom.  How can I disable this?  I'm thinking of something
> like "balance=no" for columns, only for pages.
>
> My problem is that I have a one-page float (rotated table) with the size
> of the textheight.  The opposite page is not completely filled with
> text, which makes context crop the height of the page with the float,
> too, resulting in a shift of the float into the upper margin.  That's
> why I want to disable balancing.

then best post a minimal example showing the issue

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-01-15 14:44   ` Joshua Krämer
From: Joshua Krämer @ 2014-01-15 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-wvrSQK3plZs

I have found out that I had interpreted the problem wrongly.  It is
not a problem of balancing, it is a problem of the layout macros.  I
use a different page layout for the titlepage and switch to the main
layout later.  This switch is in the front matter part, which results
in the new layout being respected for one page only.  Somehow for
subsequent pages, the layout is wrong.

Here's a MWE:

\definelayout[Titlelayout][width=10cm,height=10cm,header=0cm,footer=0cm]
\definelayout[Mainlayout][width=10cm,height=25cm,header=0cm,footer=0cm]
\showframe

\definestartstop[Titlepage][
	before={\setuplayout[Titlelayout]},
	after={
		\page[yes]
		\setuplayout[Mainlayout]
		}]

\starttext

\startfrontmatter
\startTitlepage
Title
\stopTitlepage
\stopfrontmatter

\dorecurse{5}{\input{knuth}}

\placetable[270,page]{none}
{\setupTABLE[option=stretch, textwidth=25cm]
\bTABLE \bTR \bTD 1 \eTD \bTD 2 \eTD \eTR \eTABLE}

\dorecurse{5}{\input{knuth}}

\stoptext

The frames are drawn correctly on all pages.  But only page 2 is filled
with text completely.  On subsequent pages, the real layout seems to be
too short.  If I remove \startfrontmatter and \stopfrontmatter, the
problem disappears.  It also works if I input \setuplayout[Mainlayout]
in the preamble, which is cleaner anyway because it is independent of
the titlepage macros.

@ 2014-01-15 15:24     ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2014-01-15 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2014–01–15 Joshua Krämer wrote:

> I have found out that I had interpreted the problem wrongly.  It is
> not a problem of balancing, it is a problem of the layout macros.

It's not a problem with the macros, it's a consequence of you
using them the wrong way.

> I use a different page layout for the titlepage and switch to the
> main layout later.  This switch is in the front matter part, which
> results in the new layout being respected for one page only.
> Somehow for subsequent pages, the layout is wrong.

Here's a suggestion of how to set it up correctly. This also fixes
the table.

\definemakeup
  [Titlelayout]
  [top=]

\definelayout
  [Titlelayout]
  [width=10cm,
   height=10cm,
   header=0cm,
   footer=0cm]

\setuplayout
  [width=10cm,
   height=25cm,
   header=0cm,
   footer=0cm]

\showframe
\starttext

\startfrontmatter
  \startmakeup [Titlelayout]
    Title
  \stopmakeup
\stopfrontmatter

\dorecurse{5}{\input{knuth}}

\startplacetable [location=270]
  \setupTABLE [option=stretch, textwidth=\textheight]
  \bTABLE \bTR \bTD 1 \eTD \bTD 2 \eTD \eTR \eTABLE
\stopplacetable

\dorecurse{5}{\input{knuth}}

\stoptext

Marco

* Re: Disable balancing of page bottoms
@ 2014-01-15 17:14       ` Joshua Krämer
From: Joshua Krämer @ 2014-01-15 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-wvrSQK3plZs

Thank you, Marco.  The problem with your solution is that in
doublesided mode, after \startmakeup ... \stopmakeup, an empty page is
inserted, but I need to have text on the back of the page.  Do you
maybe know how to solve this?  MWE:

\definemakeup
  [Titlelayout]
  [top=]

\definelayout
  [Titlelayout]
  [width=10cm,
   height=10cm,
   header=0cm,
   footer=0cm]

\setuplayout
  [width=10cm,
   height=26cm,
   header=0cm,
   footer=1cm,
   footerdistance=0cm]

\showframe
\starttext

\startfrontmatter
  \startmakeup [Titlelayout]
    Title
  \stopmakeup

This text should be on the back of the title page.

\stopfrontmatter
\stoptext

Kind regards, Joshua

* Re: Disable balancing of page bottoms
@ 2014-01-15 20:54         ` Marco Patzer
From: Marco Patzer @ 2014-01-15 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2014–01–15 Joshua Krämer wrote:

> Thank you, Marco.  The problem with your solution is that in
> doublesided mode, after \startmakeup ... \stopmakeup, an empty page is
> inserted, but I need to have text on the back of the page.  Do you
> maybe know how to solve this?

  \definemakeup
    [Titlelayout]
    [top=,
     doublesided=no]

Marco

* Re: Disable balancing of page bottoms
@ 2014-01-16 13:17           ` Joshua Krämer
From: Joshua Krämer @ 2014-01-16 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-wvrSQK3plZs

Thanks, Marco, I have adopted your solution, which works fine.

Kind regards,
Joshua